Do they really work?

bronzebomb

Hello LHCF,

I've been natural for about a year and I've watched so many YouTube videos coupled with google searches regarding products, which leads me to the following question: Do all these products really work?:nono: As I visited my local BSS, I saw tons of women getting that Pink Oil Moisturizer, the KeraCare Cream Hair Dress, or the Isoplus Oil. Are we just misinformed? miseducated? or simply just don't care?

I remember growing up when mineral oils and sulfate shampoos were the norm. As a child I had very thick shoulder length hair and my mom used all of the products that we now claim are so bad for our hair. :blush: If these products were so bad, why are they still on the market?

Mineral Oil is everything, including facial cleansers and moisturizers. Ironically, Miss Jessie's is making tons of money off of her products (filled with mineral oil)

(These are just random thoughts for discussion)

PistolWhip

I think the answer is all of the above.We as a people have never been properly educated to take care of our hair. Even though everything is not for everybody it seems the majority of the products that are supposedly catered to us are really just catered to making money and not a HHJ.Wouldn't that be great if they offered classes in predominately black schools on hair care by someone like Wanakee who knew their shxxt. Sometimes with too many choices people tend to make less informed choices so I think at this stage of the game it's reach one teach one......and yes mineral oil is in damn near every product(and my kryptonite).As far as when we were younger and mom used all those unhealthy products on our hair..I've thought about that too and boy this is going to be an interesting discussion :D

Solitude

Everybody is different. Those products may work for the people giving them positive reviews. I use a facial moisturizer in the winter by Pond's that has mineral oil and it doesn't cause me to break out. Right now, I have a couple of products with mineral oil and they are just as effective, if not more effective than all of the "natural" products that I've tried. Miss Jessie's products work well for me and a couple of the KeraCare products that I use have mineral oil....However, harsh sulfates dry out both my hair and my skin.

My PERSONAL opinion is that there is waaaay too much focus on products & product ingredients and not enough focus on healthy hair practices and techniques. Almost every product I have tried has "worked" for me, but some have worked better than others. The most important thing is how I care for my hair consistently over time.

I could go on and on about this topic.....

Nonie

Everybody is different. Those products may work for the people giving them positive reviews. I use a facial moisturizer in the winter by Pond's that has mineral oil and it doesn't cause me to break out. Right now, I have a couple of products with mineral oil and they are just as effective, if not more effective than all of the "natural" products that I've tried. Miss Jessie's products work well for me and a couple of the KeraCare products that I use have mineral oil....However, harsh sulfates dry out both my hair and my skin.

My PERSONAL opinion is that there is waaaay too much focus on products & product ingredients and not enough focus on healthy hair practices and techniques. Almost every product I have tried has "worked" for me, but some have worked better than others. The most important thing is how I care for my hair consistently over time.

I could go on and on about this topic.....

I couldn't see the thank you button (Nikos, what's up with the Now you see it, Not you don't changes??? :whyme: ) but this is one post I really wanted to apply it to. I agree with you 100%. I use Vaseline under my eyes, I use sulphate shampoos w/o butting an eyelid. They work for me. I am one of the oldies who hardly spends time looking at product ingredients. If I use it and I like it, I continue to use it. Just like it is an anathema not moisturize your hair daily for some, yet I went a whole year plus without putting any leave-in in my hair. Why? Because that works for me.

So rather than worry about what others say, find out what works for you. Of course there are some things that are obvious, like doing illegal drugs will harm you, but most times, hair products aren't that serious and can be OK as long as you like the results you get.

Mdmommy99

My mother and grandmother swear by pink lotion and hair grease and have always had gorgeous, long hair. My SIL is still straightening her hair occasionally with a little Blue Magic grease and a hot comb and has healthy BSL-MBL hair. When I first got here I was all over the product bandwagon and then I realized that I experience the most growth with low manipulation hairstyles regardless of what I put in my hair. Every one's hair is different but I don't check for sulfates or worry about mineral oil because those ingredients don't seem to have an effect on my retention.