Do u get tired of protective styling.

summerof1990

How do you cope when you're tired of protective styling :lol:

I went from flat ironing my hair every week and wearing it down down down.
To a ponytail and buns lol. I see progess but I want my free days back and i cant wait to get mid body length so i can be free again!!

When im tired of protective styling i do banana clips...some ladies say thats still a protective style some say its not. But i think its all about the manipulation. When i wear banana clips i usually let the ends hang but im not manipulating it period.By combing it out too much.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
when i get tired of it....i wear my hair out. :look:

I find that consistency in my low-manipulation regimen is probably more important than protective styling.

shasha8685

I think protective styling is only as boring as you make it.

If you wear buns all the time, then yeah it'll get boring. However, if you try to jazz it up w/ accessories it adds a element of fun to it.

Also, buns and ponytails aren't the only protective styles. You can get creative through half wigs, sew-ins, phony ponies, braids, etc. The list goes on and on.

If you force yourself to step outside the box protective style wise, it can be a fun experience. :yep:

brnz271

I do get tired of protective styling, but when I do I just browse around for a new style to try. I'm a little bored now so I am going to try out hair accessories and making my own. Should be fun:)

summerof1990

I think protective styling is only as boring as you make it.

If you wear buns all the time, then yeah it'll get boring. However, if you try to jazz it up w/ accessories it adds a element of fun to it.

Also, buns and ponytails aren't the only protective styles. You can get creative through half wigs, sew-ins, phony ponies, braids, etc. The list goes on and on.

If you force yourself to step outside the box protective style wise, it can be a fun experience. :yep:

i know but i can't wear fake hair

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Nope. I've been protective styling for 5 years now and I am not slowing up anytime soon!

Bublin

I was just thinking today that before lhcf i wore my hair up all the time but didn't call it protective styling, i just had lazyitis and without thinking my hair grew out nicely.

Now there is a name for it and 'it's the only way my hair is going to get long' i just feel like it's a job or i get a paranoid that my 'ends are exposed' AND all of a sudden i'm desperately wanting my hair to be a way it naturally is not so i can wear it down. Before, i couldn't give a stuff.

faithVA

Nope. I've been protective styling for 5 years now and I am not slowing up anytime soon!

I'm with ms-gg on this one. I don't think I will get tired of it. I am just waiting for my hair to get more length so I can do more styles and have them look better.

PJaye

Since I PS due to laziness/disinterest in styling, it never grows old or feels burdensome.

krissyprissy

My love for hair accessories help me with daily protective styling. If I still feel bored then I wear my hair out for a few days and then go back to protective styling.

Imani

I did at first. I have kind of gotten used to it now. But at first it was a bit much and very radical for me bc I used to wear my hair out straight and styled every single day. I never really liked fake hair but I finally found/made some half wigs I felt OK about.

I think it will get easier as my hair gets longer bc there will be more protective style options and they will look better. And also I won't have to depend on adding false hair anymore as well.

For me it was like a catch 22. Based on my texture and how fragile my hair is I needed to protective style to get length. But hardly any protective style options were available (that didn't involve fake hair) bc I didn't have enough length for them (ie. bunning).

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Never get tired of it. It's a way of life. You have to find ways to make it fun and jazzy. Protective styling is what you make of it.

greenandchic

The longer your hair gets, the easier it is to switch things up a bit. I'm in buns most of the times, but I accessorize with clips, barrettes, flowers, sticks, etc.

I'm not a wig/weave person either (too afraid of looking busted), but the more you play with your hair (gently) the more you'll be creative with it. Look up Naptural85 on YouTube for cute, creative styles.

empressri

Hell no, and I usually do it in the winter. When it's cold as hell it's NOT fun trying to be doing wash and goes and whatnot, my fingers are freezing! I'm happy as heck to throw my hair in some braids or twists and just oil it a little throughout the week. Shoot, I went from braids, to a braidout, to twisting the old braidout and then taking those out after a few days. The easiest two weeks of my life!

I really think I might make that a habit this winter.

greenandchic

Hell no, and I usually do it in the winter. When it's cold as hell it's NOT fun trying to be doing wash and goes and whatnot, my fingers are freezing! I'm happy as heck to throw my hair in some braids or twists and just oil it a little throughout the week. Shoot, I went from braids, to a braidout, to twisting the old braidout and then taking those out after a few days. The easiest two weeks of my life!

I really think I might make that a habit this winter.

Do you remember what you used then? My challenge is finding leave-ins that doesn't have glycerin in the winter...

empressri

Do you remember what you used then? My challenge is finding leave-ins that doesn't have glycerin in the winter...

bittersweet irony! this is the one season my hair LIKES glycerin!

qhemet biologics amla and olive heavy cream mixed with olive and honey hydrating balm

oyin handmade whipped pudding, shine and define and burnt sugar pomade

myhoneychild type three hair creme with carols daughter balm on top

curl junkie honey butta leave in

any of anita grant's whipped butters and pomades.

any of the above combos, i oil my hair using coconut, vatika or my blend of ceramide oils.

greenandchic

bittersweet irony! this is the one season my hair LIKES glycerin!

qhemet biologics amla and olive heavy cream mixed with olive and honey hydrating balm

oyin handmade whipped pudding, shine and define and burnt sugar pomade

myhoneychild type three hair creme with carols daughter balm on top

curl junkie honey butta leave in

any of anita grant's whipped butters and pomades.

any of the above combos, i oil my hair using coconut, vatika or my blend of ceramide oils.

Cool, thanks for the list! This will be my first winter trying ceramide oils - cant wait to see how it is.

Triniwegian

Yeah, for about 2 seconds and then I remember how long it takes to make a "style" and then I go back to loving my bun :grin:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Straight hair no longer really feels comfortable on me so i don't get bored with protective/non straight styles. I do straighten once every2-3 months just to change it up but i'm thinking that i really don't even care to do that any more. maybe twice a year max going forward.

FearfullyMade

Sometimes I do, for 3 years now, in between wearing wigs/weaves, I'll wear my hair out for a dew days about every 3-4 months. But when I see the reward of retention, I keep at it.

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

I like it. My hair takes a lot of time.

I know you don't like fake, but I'm about to weave mine up and my natural real hair is now a little past wl as of my blow out last month (Ive been braided and or weaved up and haven't checked since my length shot in Jan [my siggy has my length check in Jan not doing another of my real hair until Jan/Feb when I do another trim]). It gives my hair a rest so I can get to HL and that makes me :) I've seen the results of protective styling and because of that it makes the sacrifice worth it. (plus I'll do a happy dance at my wedding next year as I'll have my goal hair length)

I know I get there faster if I leave it alone. And so I sacrifice and make it happen.

Saga

The Generous Queen
I just get bored with my hair in general, which is why I change it so much. My goal in protective styling is to retain length, but like many people here my hair is quite short so I don't have as many options unless I use extensions and such. I try two-strand twists but they always unravel, which requires me manipulating my hair everyday in order to re-twist. Then when I wash them they pretty much come out completely. I do pixie braids with my own hair but once I wash the they shrink up and they look a little boring to me at that point.

Extensions allow me to play in my hair without my REAL hair having to suffer. Plus, with extensions I can create numerous different styles and change it up everyday while still keeping my hair protected. For me it's the best of both world, but even WITH fake hair I end up getting bored. Right now I have kinky twists that I just finished putting in yesterday at nearly 5a.m. I wore it down for the first day but now I think I'm ready to curly up the ends by setting them on perm rods. I can't wait till my hair gets long enough to be put in a pony tail and BUN.

wheezy807

Every now and then i get tired. I may spice it up with a hair accessory or i might wash and blowdry it and throw on a headband (no flatiron). I'm a simple girl so i like simple thing. But 98% of the time i'm in a bun, it's just a way of life to me.

keepithealthy

In the summer I wear my hair out a lot but I get a lot of shrinkage so I don't think it matters. In the winter I ps all the time mostly for ease and because my ends get dry in the winter. I was planning to straighten more now that my hair was longer; but, I don't know if I will.

greenandchic

im strict with my hair

You can't have it both ways.

I don't PS my hair 100% of the time. If the weather allows for it, I wear it out if I want to, then I PS the next day. In the winter I usually have to PS my hair 100% of the time due to weather and/or the clothes I wear (wool, scarves, etc) so when its mild, I allow for an "out" day maybe once a week within reason.