do you blame the devil for everything

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
i see this all of the time and it confuses me. Car breaks down its the devil late for work, its the devil, cant find the remote its the devil. If you have sex outside of marriage its the devil.Some people think the devil is responsible for
everything bad. Why is this. Do people forget that the devil is not G-D? Do you think the devil can be every where at every time? isn't omnipresence a divine quality that only belongs to G-d? Do people forget that they
have a sinful nature? Is the devil responsible for everything. Where does personal accountability come into the picture?

just wanting info bible verses would be great

Last edited:

Koffie

I sometimes wonder this myself. Like, I've dated guys who said they we're Christians, but they wanted to have sex, but I didn't and my friends always said it was the Devil in them. Heck, I even began to believe it, but I had to realize that only GOD knows these young mens hearts, so its not up to me to say that they are "the Devil."

DragonPearl

msportugal said:
Do people forget that they
have a sinful nature? Is the devil responsible for everything. Where does personal accountability come into the picture?
Very good questions. I don't understand why people blame the devil for everything going wrong in their lives. Sometimes, people just mess up and have a hard time fessing up to it.

DelightfulFlame

People don't really seem to understand the purpose of Satan. yes, we all can quote the scripture about him being here to kill and destroy and him being a liar, but we really don't understand why he is here to do those things. And even when he is allowed to wreak havoc in our lives, it is because God allowed him to. (Job 2:6) He has no real power over us, yet most of us give him more power than God. He is actually doing the will of God, and we would rather sit back and fuss and blame than learn the lesson...and as a result we often times keep getting our heads thumped by the same old situations.

Jesus was led by the Spirit to be tempted by Satan (Matthew 4:1). Notice that the SPIRIT was in control of that situation, not the devil.

Here's a scripture that gives insight on the purpose of Satan.

1 Corinthians 5 (NIV)
4When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5 hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord.

Isis

When I hear people blame the devil for all of their misfortunes in life, I believe they are giving their personal power away to the devil. It's also a way of not taking responsibility for their actions.

Cinnabuns

I used to believe that it was devil doing wrong to me t one point, then I later learned that God does test you.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
msportugal said:
Do people forget that they
have a sinful nature?
I think this right here answers your question. Those who blame the devil for every single thing, they probably think they were not born with a sinful nature. They probably believe that they were born innocent and the society corrupted them (a Rousseau idea). The truth is that we were all born into sin. After Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden, it put that on all mankind that would be born after them.

Dutchess

I had to respond to this because a guy I know working for a reputable delivery service and he work independently driving all of the city. I have seen him use company time to go grocery shopping, shopping at the mall, run his personal errands, take 2-3 hour long lunches, give people rides in the company vehicle, go home and kick it with wifey. Well, his company started putting tracking devices on the trucks and noticed his pattern. He was suspended without pay for 30 days for his behavior. When he told me what had happened I said, wow, you just can't abuse company time, they probably had many complaints about this.

He corrected me and said that it was nothing but Satan who got him in trouble. I asked who was the one abusing company time and going shopping on company time and taking long lunches and running errands, paying bills etc. on company. I said, dude you can't blame Satan for that, that was all you. Of course he got an attitude and didn't speak to me for a couple of days.

ladylibra_30

yes, alot of people use satan as a scapegoat for their troubles and woes. frankly, i get sick and tired of people saying the devil did this or the devil did that!

weeds ate their lawn up....the devil did it.
they over-ate....the devil did it.
they are sick/aching on sunday morning....the devil did it.
bill collectors are calling...the devil did it.

of course i am being sarcastic (but am i really b/c these words have actually been uttered by people)