Get the Hell outta here you Damn Devil!!

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
.... or something to that effect.

I can name for sure 3 churches in Los Angeles that I have visited where the pastor says something similar to the above statement. Meaning, they say the words Hell and Damn alot during their message. Not in the context of "He was cast down into hell" but more like "Tell the devil to get the hell outta your way"; and "The devil is a damn liar." No kidding.

I was raised in a very strict christian household where these words were considered moreso curses than anything else. Damn could only be used to describe the thing that beavers built (Dam) and Hell was used to describe where the devil is and that's it.

I know that damned is in the bible etc, but do you think it's just a little over the top for some preachers to make use of these words in that manner... just a little? Or is it no big deal, as some preachers are a little more charismatic with their preaching style than others?

Last edited:

Deluxe

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

I would be a little afraid to use those words in a cursing manner from the pulpit. I would be shocked to hear that phrase used in church by a christian, but maybe I am being uptight. I think they should refrain from speaking like that.:lol:

Browndilocks

:lachen:

It is funny now that I read my original post but the first time this happened I was like :eek: :eek: :eek:. Then when I visited other churches and heard this for the 2nd, 3rd time I just thought that was how some people are out here.... maybe its a regional thing :confused: Churches in the South are more conservative while churches in NYC are really animated. I was thinkin the Cali churches are just so laid back that this was something that just kinda went with the territory. Not meaning all Cali churches but you get my drift... :p

Divine Inspiration

It's definitely over the top, IMO. Those words need to be reserved for the purposes you mentioned...otherwise, how is the minister/church any different from the world? We're supposed to be in the world but not of the world. I haven't heard any Cali ministers say that stuff, but it doesn't surprise me because people (including clergy) are really wildin' out these days. I haven't been to any of the black megachurches in LA anyway...my church is a non-demoninational melting pot, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. :)

Denim And Leather

Divine Inspiration said:
It's definitely over the top, IMO. Those words need to be reserved for the purposes you mentioned...otherwise, how is the minister/church any different from the world? We're supposed to be in the world but not of the world. I haven't heard any Cali ministers say that stuff, but it doesn't surprise me because people (including clergy) are really wildin' out these days. I haven't been to any of the black megachurches in LA anyway...my church is a non-demoninational melting pot, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. :)

I totally agree with every word here, DI! :yep:

MindTwister

Divine Inspiration said:
Would you mind telling me the name of the Church you go to please? Thanks in advance :)

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
It's a 'Charismatic' trend and it's way over the top. In the 2 decades - plus that I've been saved and in church, I've heard 'other' things which were totally out of 'text' with the word.

It's just there for the 'moment' and then it's not. My Pastor shares that though we are 'free', we're not 'that' free...and I totally agree...:lol:

If I want to 'hear' someone curse, just go to the OT forum here. Opps, did I say that....;) Any hoo, it's true. ;)

Bottomline: It's out of order. No one wants to hear it.

Browndilocks

ShimmieGirl said:
In the 2 decades - plus that I've been saved and in church, I've heard 'other' things which were totally out of 'text' with the word.

Thank you Shimmie. I know that there has to be a few people on this board who knows exactly what I'm talking about and has heard this for themselves. Reason being: every time I've heard preachers speak in that manner, the church was full to capacity.

These particular churches that I'm referring to aren't even my church home so for me to hear it during the one time I visit, I'm sure the congregation hears it on the regular.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Browndilocks said:
Thank you Shimmie. I know that there has to be a few people on this board who knows exactly what I'm talking about and has heard this for themselves. Reason being: every time I've heard preachers speak in that manner, the church was full to capacity.

These particular churches that I'm referring to aren't even my church home so for me to hear it during the one time I visit, I'm sure the congregation hears it on the regular.

The saddness of it is that there are so many who leave the service thinking that it's okay, because 'he' or 'she' said it. :(

Stay the beautiful example Browndilocks, that you are. None of us are perfect, but with your heart to discern, we can't be far from it. You may be Brown, but your light shines as pure gold, all around. Stand firm. ;)

All in love...Shimmie... ;)