Do you do a rinse-out conditioner before deep conditioning?

Jaizee

I was just reading a few threads here, and some people mentioned that they do a rinse-out conditioner after shampooing and before deep conditioning. I never do that. I was wondering if it would give my hair extra moisture if I did this?

melodee

I don't. Usually, I do my deep conditioner first--the kind with protein. Protein conditioners strenghten, but have a tendency to harden strands, so I follow my DC with a rinse out to soften and detangle.

ravenmerlita

I don't do use a rinse-out conditioner before a deep conditioner. However, one of the conditioners I use, the Ouidad Deep Treatment, does say in the directions to prep the hair first with daily conditioner before adding the Deep Treatment.

DAX

I do. I use Praital Silk Worm conditioner before I do a deep conditioning treatment. It gives me great slip.

Caramela

I wouldn't and here's why... those rinse out conditioners normally only condition the outer layer of your hair and seal the cuticles so they lay flat. If you put that on first, the deep conditioner may not penetrate the strand as effectively.
Personally, I'd forgo the rinse-out conditioner and just go with a deep conditioner and a good detangler spray. I only use the rinse out conditioner when I don't have time to dedicate to a good deep conditioning.

pistachio

I DC first, then do my rinse-out conditioner. I mix my reconstuctor, just about a 1:8 ratio of reconstructor to DC mixture. this gives me protein AND moisture with out over-doing it on the protien.

gracefulee

Thanks for this thread. Just last night, as I was rinsing out my rinse-out and getting ready to apply my DC, I was wondering if I should have been applying my DC conditioner 1st and my rinse last. My hair thanks you very much :notworthy .

Jaizee

Thanks, ladies! Also, thanks Caramela for the info about rinse-out conditioners. I didn't know that they only coat the hair. I think I'll try DC first, then the rinse-out, also. Thanks!

navsegda

Jaizee said:
I was just reading a few threads here, and some people mentioned that they do a rinse-out conditioner after shampooing and before deep conditioning. I never do that. I was wondering if it would give my hair extra moisture if I did this?

I always do this. For me, it gives me extra moisture. After shampooing, I use Garnier Fructis Length & Strength Fortifying Cream Conditioner, rinse, and then I deep condition with Motions After-Shampoo Moisture Plus Conditioner, Doo Gro Deep Down Intense Penetrating Conditioner, and Organics Hair Mayonnaise.

LovelyLionessa

navsegda said:
I always do this. For me, it gives me extra moisture. After shampooing, I use Garnier Fructis Length & Strength Fortifying Cream Conditioner, rinse, and then I deep condition with Motions After-Shampoo Moisture Plus Conditioner, Doo Gro Deep Down Intense Penetrating Conditioner, and Organics Hair Mayonnaise.

Me too, I love using the Garnier Length & Strength for this, it's an absolute must! I apply some of Paul Mitchell The Detangler with the Garnier on top and then do my combing and detangling under the shower stream. Then I proceed with deep conditioning. :)

navsegda

Jaizee said:
Thanks, ladies! Also, thanks Caramela for the info about rinse-out conditioners. I didn't know that they only coat the hair. I think I'll try DC first, then the rinse-out, also. Thanks!
Those types of conditioners do generally only coat the hair. However, the insides of hair strands are hydrophilic (which means they attract and absorb water) so as long as you aren't using ice cold water to rinse it out and thus, close the cuticle, the moisture from these conditioners is going to get through the strand even though some of the other ingredients will just coat it. So basically, once you wash a rinse-out conditioner out, unless you use cold water, that cuticle is still going to be open because the conditioner that made the cuticle temporarily lay flat is going down the drain and the force of the water to rinse it out is going to disrupt the cuticle layer again. I use a rinse-out conditioner before deep conditioning first because I never use cold water until after the deep conditioning is done (with the rinse-out, I use slightly warmer than tepid water to make sure my cuticle isn't sealed before deep conditioning). There are also products that will seal the cuticle and keep it sealed, for instance, I like using JOICO K-Pak Reconstruct Leave-In Protectant after I rinse out the deep conditioner.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

sometimes. but only when I use something like Aphogee 2 min reconstructor or something like that. I rinse it out and then proceed to do a moisturizing deep condition.

that is only 1 or 2 times a month. Otherwise, no, I just shampoo and deep condition - with nothing in between.

navsegda

Priestess said:
Me too, I love using the Garnier Length & Strength for this, it's an absolute must! I apply some of Paul Mitchell The Detangler with the Garnier on top and then do my combing and detangling under the shower stream. Then I proceed with deep conditioning. :)

Yay! I love the L&S conditioner, too! Have you tried the shampoo? My hair fell in loveeeeeeeeeeee with the shampoo as well!

LovelyLionessa

navsegda said:
Yay! I love the L&S conditioner, too! Have you tried the shampoo? My hair fell in loveeeeeeeeeeee with the shampoo as well!

I haven't tried the shampoo yet, but I bet it's good if it's anything like the conditioner. :D

tnorenberg

Priestess said:
OMG, this is exactly what I do, even the same products. I love the PM Detangling conditoner.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I don't use a rinse out before deep conditioning but sometimes I do one after (depending on the deep conditioner) for extra slip.

glamazon386

Jaizee said:

I just DC and call it a day. I didn't see the point in doing both.