Do you ever lie???

HoneyDew

lauren450 said:
Well, when I was pregnant, I let people think that was the reason for my growth. Sometimes, I just didn't feel like explaining that I was stretching, cowashing, rollersetting, etc. Most people's eyes start to glaze over before I'm halfway done. So at one point, it was like, "Yep, it's all pregnancy hormones!":lol:

Well, there is one exception. (She might be lurking.) There was a really sweet lady at my doctor's office who gave me a compliment. She told me she was hoping to grow her hair out, and that she was wearing weave to give her hair a rest. I'm thinking, ok, she knows about protective styles, so she might not think I'm nuts! So I gave her the link.:D

OT, but lauren450 I LOVE your braid out!!

Whisper

esoterica said:
i would lie if i needed to. not everbody deserves to know everything. especially if they're just gonna turn around and tell me how crazy i am.

True! Some people still won't believe your hair can be long, no matter how much you explain your regimens. I'm not in the business of persuasion, what works for me, works for me.

Hidden_Angel

I;'ve shared it with my cousin and a gf my famly memebers now but they dont really now Ive been slacking but once i get my ZINC im back on it

bablou00

I try not to talk about the forum and the things I am doing to my hair at work because when we get on "hair topic" the ladies especially the ones w/ the short, broken off hair who gets their hair done ever weekend wanna tell me Im crazy for stretching my relaxers and and air drying my hair. But on the flip side they always always have something smart to say when I do something different to my hair. So I keep it to my closest friends. They joke about it w/ me but they understand and yes some feel like its a cult.

No I never lie I just omit information. If someone asks me about my hair I tell them about this and other websites and send them on there way. If they ask more questions then I will go a deeper on what I know and what works for me. Generally they have to be specific on what they want to know for me to answer. Almost always when I say you have to wash more than once a month they are done with me.

sholly6

no i don't lie, but i also, don't say anything because when i used to my friends would say "you so obess with your hair". so i just get my commits to myself. any my mother-in-law aka the outlaw always put her hands in the back of my hair. saying is this your hair? i know what she feeling for tracks, weaves. :eek: i hate when people put their hands through my hair. anywho, those who didn't what to listen i can't wait to see the faces when my hair is down. oo i guess that doesn't sound nice, i'm sorry sike:)

sholly6

no i don't lie, but i also, don't say anything because when i used to my friends would say "you so obess with your hair". so i just get my commits to myself. any my mother-in-law aka the outlaw always put her hands in the back of my hair. saying is this your hair? i know what she feeling for tracks, weaves. :eek: i hate when people put their hands through my hair. anywho, those who didn't what to listen i can't wait to see the faces when my hair is down. oo i guess that doesn't sound nice, i'm sorry sike:)

baby42

:lachen: i lie so what:confused: :lol: you know why because my hair was cutt short and if i even said and thing about lhf i could see the look in their eyes:lachen: like girl please you ant got no hair i know they where laughing behind my back but it grew some so i could braid up and now i know its growing from the things i do to it now everbody wants to know oh did that mtg work for you i just say i gave up on it i did i went to bt:lachen:

Last edited:

leleepop

I dont lie, and like someone else mentioned, if they dont ask I dont tell. I have learned my lesson.

C

chica_canella

Well, I only tell people who seem interested. I told to ladies at my job and they seemed interested.

Everyone else I just tell that I am wearing a wig because my own hair is to thick and unmanageable and I also have damaged sections in the middle. I don't care if people know I am wearing a wig now because I know I have a ton of hair under it.

Christa438

leleepop said:
I dont lie, and like someone else mentioned, if they dont ask I dont tell. I have learned my lesson.

:yep:
I don't care about what outsiders think and I know how ignorant people can be, and if it seems that they can't achieve it then they assume that you can't achieve it either--can be so discouraging. That said, I only share what's going on with me as far as LHCF with family and close friends. As far as they know, I've been studying hair-care on this website for my own hair health and growth benefits. They are supportive and never tried to bring me down; although a couple of people I care about did offer some advice/tips that I had to respectfully and gently reject now that I know better.:D

Last edited:

Blossssom

sholly6 said:

I know you're not sorry. Keep it REAL! :)

Just a few weeks ago a member of our family that we hadn't seen in some time called my niece up (13) and asked her was this all my hair. Now, I didn't have my hair straightened as it is in the siggy, but it was fluffy and big.

My niece had to tell her, "Yes, that is all Blossssom's hair". The relative was like, "She sure has a lot of it!" LOL! :)

And why do 'outsiders' accuse our home of being a cult? No one says anything when people visit other websites of interest. Why is hair any different than golf?

Christa438

Blossssom said:
I know you're not sorry. Keep it REAL! :)

Just a few weeks ago a member of our family that we hadn't seen in some time called my niece up (13) and asked her was this all my hair. Now, I didn't have my hair straightened as it is in the siggy, but it was fluffy and big.

My niece had to tell her, "Yes, that is all Blossssom's hair". The relative was like, "She sure has a lot of it!" LOL! :)

And why do 'outsiders' accuse our home of being a cult? No one says anything when people visit other websites of interest. Why is hair any different than golf?

That's funny what your relative did :lol: At least it seems that she didn't want to ask you right out because some women may get offended if asked that ? whether the hair is all theirs or not. Most if not all my relatives will just ask ya straight out.

Maybe some outsiders consider LHCF to be a cult because they are clueless about it considering they don't have any membership in this themselves. I know LHCF has a lot of members, but in my experience no one that I know really knows about it--so in a way...I think LHCF is a little "exclusive" :) which I like.

LocksOfLuV

WomanlyCharm said:
Thank you! Nobody needs to know all about my business, and whether I'm on a hair board or not. If someone asks for tips on how to grow out their hair, fine, I'm more than happy to help. But when they're just going to give you the "look", no thanks, I don't have time for that.

I am gonna third this. With this being said yes I LIE. LIE LIE LIE! There is no way around it, a lie is a lie, no matter how 'sweet' it is. I am not gonna lie, about lying.:lol:

I give all types of excuses (LIES) for not wearing my hair down "I don't feel like flat ironing it," It's too hot," "I am gonna get my hair done in __," what ever I feel at the moment. I don't owe anyone anything. And people just do not understand, forreal. Try telling someone that heat breaks off your hair, and you wear a bun cover to protect your baggy. They would think you are stone crazy.:lol:

PinkPeony

Blossssom said:
In what situation(s) do you lie or have lied in?

oh Womanlycharm kinda summed it up for me.My friends and family they ALL know,however if it is someone I don't know I will give them hairtips and if they ask me where I know all this *stuff* from I just lie.
Just yesterday a guy I work with asked me to wear my hair in a 'fro more often I just told him that I'am growing my hair out and that the 'fro is making it harder.
I'am usually honest about what I do but not about where I got it from or WHY I do it.
Besides,I don't want everybody to google for LHCF and to be all up in my buisness:cool:

PinkPeony

LocksOfLuV said:
I am gonna third this. With this being said yes I LIE. LIE LIE LIE! There is no way around it, a lie is a lie, no matter how 'sweet' it is. I am not gonna lie, about lying.:lol:

I give all types of excuses (LIES) for not wearing my hair down "I don't feel like flat ironing it," It's too hot," "I am gonna get my hair done in __," what ever I feel at the moment. I don't owe anyone anything. And people just do not understand, forreal. Try telling someone that heat breaks off your hair, and you wear a bun cover to protect your baggy. They would think you are stone crazy.:lol:
Big Co-sign.

Divine Inspiration

There are some EXCELLENT points in this thread. I'm not going to quote them all, but I agree with omitting things and that it's not really anybody's business.

In the past, I was asked, "Why is hair so important to you? Why are you always reading about hair?" by someone who was nosy and always over my shoulder in an office. I *tried* explaining that while the site is called Long Hair Care Forum, it's a misnomer...this place is really a LIFESTYLE board, and I gain much more from membership than tips on long hair. I mean, discussions about hair can only go so far.

So, I didn't like the feeling of having to "defend" LHCF and my affinity for it so I've been careful about viewing it around certain people etc since then. I'm not going to lie about it, but I'll definitely keep details to myself. Few people who ask about hair care enough or are prepared to do what's necessary to grow long, healthy hair so I don't waste my breath and salivation detailing regimens and such.

RavenIvygurl said:
I don't mention it b/c people look at me funny sometimes. One girl saw all my products and said "damn, all that for what? your hair is not that long" Then I said "it will be" and she scoffed at me. So now I keep it simple and sweet "I just like products" or something like that.

"It will be" good for you girl!

Lady Esquire

Most people have no clue that my hair is growing 'cause it is always in a bun and hidden away.

I have shared my regimen, especially when I was first starting out, I could not shut up about it. If the question is coming from someone who seems to be genuine about learning, then I will email them all the info I have, share website addresses, books, etc...

However, I have a girlfriend of mine, who has always had about APL hair. She has been going to Dominican salons once a week since we were in high school (we are all 30 now, so it has been more than 13 to 14 years now). Although I love her like a sister, she has always been one of those women who enjoys making you feel uncomfortable about our "hair" issues...she makes comments about "good" hair vs "bad" hair, nappyheads, and would criticize women who wear weaves.

Anyway, the last time I saw her, she could not stop running her fingers thru my hair. While all my other girlfriends could not stop commenting on my new length, she spoke mostly thru her eyes. She made a few comments about how she had to cut her own hair, and about her ragged ends, even though she was still working with a good length. I was getting ready to share my regimen, and I started off by telling her that I was washing twice a week now, doing conditioner-washes, and her reaction was kinda rude...so I wrapped it up and gave an extremely condensed version of what I do.

Recently, she bought it up again, but this time I think she was embarrassed, 'cause for the first time in our long friendship, my hair is gaining on hers, and may very well surpass hers. On my end, it is definitely not a competition. But she just cannot handle new ideas. Maybe if she approaches me with a bit more open mindedness. Had she been someone who was all busted - with patches and looking crazy - I would have been shared all of it with her, but she is doing fine and loves getting pampered weekly at the salon, so my ideas of hair care are too much for her.

To answer your question, NO I have not lied (except for this girlfriend, who I have ommitted info or held back from).

Last edited:

DSP

Yep, I've been less than honest about the nature of this place lately. I refer to LHCF as a "Black professionals site" and an "entertainment/gossip site" because my hair is still short (albeit much thicker and healthier) and I don't want certain people to know how much that still bothers me. People will use any perceived weakness against you.

I've already experienced annoying "advice" from a know-it-all relative with short, broken, thirsty hair trying to tell me how to help my hair recover. I swear, it's like having an obese person trying to give you diet tips while they're munching on Krispy Kremes. I once mistakenly mentioned my new regimen and she scoffed at what I was saying, so I learned my lesson. Now I just smile and nod when she offers her whacked-out advice and go on my merry way. My hair is already filling in where there was a huge bald spot in back and my hairline has lowered by about 1/2 inch, so when I reach my next goal of SL/BAA, she can JUST BITE ME.:mad: Ahem.:look:

delecie

No, I don't lie and I don't usually feel the need to explain anything that I do. In order to live my life well, I don't require negativity or validation from anyone.

The Girl

dlewis said:
My husband use to think this site was a cult also but now he's always asking what's going on the celebrity world.

He's was the first to know in his group that Shawn Carter had a small child.

Now, he always comments on my hair and ask my advice on his hair condition or other people hair. Like he'll say "She need a little moisture on that brittle hair".:lol:

But to the original question, No
exactly, SO wants to know the entertainment secrets and then when we watch tv he asks if the giys have wigs or transplants. He is convinced everyone wears a weave or wig

Back to the topic...yes, I stretch the truth. I don't think anyone besides Nikko's cousins "get it"

Last edited:

CAPlush

I don't tell people I'm growing out my hair. Nor do I tell them I am trying to clear up my skin or lose weight. People just don't care, I am around people who care about $$$, Darfur, politics, etc. I don't know anyone who would care besides family, and I would never lie to them.

Tee

xDestinedx said:
I know what you mean...I told my friend about the website...like I said in another thread...she thinks LHCF is a cult...she wont bother to listen to what I have to say....

so when I say something about my hair to her and Im about to mention LHCF...I just say something else...to avoid her ranting about how crazy I am for listening to things I see on the internet.

ETA:...if she finds out that Im trying to go to one of the meet ups...she might try and call an intervention on me....lol

Now your post have my side hurting!!:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: