Do You Ever Think All This Is A Bit Much?

SocialWorker29 said:
:lol: :lol: LOL! Tell it!!

One piece of advice, " Never argue with a fool, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"

You're quite right. But damn it's a lot of fun! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Threads like those make me want to just become anti-social and settle in my own little routine and stick to myself and what is working for me.

If I'm not mistaken...she's the same chick that laughed and lead me to start this thread in the first place. Now it's all coming out. She has an issue with her hair. Maybe it's too "black" for her. *sigh*

so1913 said:
That was sad. People really do think like that...

Yeah I know. I'm originally from Louisiana and there is STILL to this day the type of good hair, bad hair crap going on there. Being up North you don't find a lot of that thank God.

Oh my goodness, that thread was great! :grin:

Go on wit your bad self, Creole!

Sad to say I've noticed that particular board has so many negative posters on it...I just don't go there much anymore. :ohwell:

Sad to say I've noticed that particular board has so many negative posters on it...I just don't go there much anymore. :ohwell:[/quote said:
I know...this woman is indicative of what you usually get on there. *sigh*

CreoleInDC said:

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Geez.... You cracked me up. Too funny. To answer your question, I do believe that this is a bit much. I know that I totally go overboard when it comes to my hair. I spend entirely too much time on this board when I too should be working, playing with the dog or cleaning. My SO even makes fun of how much I pay attention to my hair. He doesn't understand it and thinks I should just get braids or a weave if it's not the length that I want. For most of my life, I've had relaxed long hair and prided myself on my hair. It is coarse as heck but it was long. When someone asked me if I had a weave, I very indignately replied NO!

I truly believe these boards are extremely beneficial as they provide information, an outlet when we are discouraged and a sounding board for new ideas. I've learned alot from this board. I've significantly reduced my PJ'ism (although it is difficult sometimes when reading about new products). I'm following a strict formula and I'm having success. Also, I actually look forward to logging into the board for funny you-know-what threads like the one you started in AOL. You are too crazy!

Thank you ladies. :grin:

I simply see it as there are many, many regimines that people who have long healthy hair have. And just about all of them work, mainly for them. Some of the regimines take more time and alot of products(using several different hair products at one time, blowdrying/sitting under dryer,pressing, flat ironing, in some cases prolly all of this in 1 day). Some make it a whooooleprocess where they have to almost take off a day(so it seems) just to take care of their hair well. I have noticed that for me what works is to keep the hair styles simple, to use very little to no heat, MOISTURE, that is so key to me. I may change things up a bit here and there but I keep it the same. When i get to a certain length THEN i plan on manipulating moreso but for special times but other than that still keep things simple as i always do.

keke said:
I simply see it as there are many, many regimines that people who have long healthy hair have. And just about all of them work, mainly for them. Some of the regimines take more time and alot of products(using several different hair products at one time, blowdrying/sitting under dryer,pressing, flat ironing, in some cases prolly all of this in 1 day). Some make it a whooooleprocess where they have to almost take off a day(so it seems) just to take care of their hair well. I have noticed that for me what works is to keep the hair styles simple, to use very little to no heat, MOISTURE, that is so key to me. I may change things up a bit here and there but I keep it the same. When i get to a certain length THEN i plan on manipulating moreso but for special times but other than that still keep things simple as i always do.

I like your hair.

This is a good thread Creole and I just love your sense of humor!:lol:

Since I discovered the hairboards in 2003, it felt like I struck gold! Everything I wanted to know and more about black hair, yay! :bdance: For me it was like starting my education from the beginning. :baby2:

My addiction to LHCF started when I saw great results (some right away) from what I learned. I always kept it simple though and stuck to pretty much the same regimen all this time. I spend very little each year on my hair, only buying something new once in a while with MSM being my latest indulgence (finally!).

All in all, yes, LHCF and other like hairboards can become obsessive if one allows them to dominate one's life. For me, this is like an ongoing, hair and beauty University that I enjoy, along with everything else I do in life. ;)

ETA:
My hair hasn't been this healthy or this length since I was 6 or 7 years old! Thank you ladies! :kiss:

Last edited:
Yes, I think that all the time...
In the beginning we all go overboard, but as you go along u realize that the less you do, the better off you will be.

*ElleB said:
Yes, I think that all the time...
In the beginning we all go overboard, but as you go along u realize that the less you do, the better off you will be.

ITA I went overboard when I first joined, tried all types of products and had horrible results. Surge was way too much protein for my relaxed non moisturized hair. I tried using S Curl in a protective style it broke my face out. I bought all kinds of products to try out. Chile I just did what always worked for me nothing. For many years I wanted to try natural hair. I had a relaxer since junior high without any damage. I did get the courage to go natural without fear finally because of the ladies here. I always went thru phases of feeling like a prisoner to what society said my hair should look like. I just wanted to do me and I finally did. When I see women with long natural flowing curly coily hair I feel inspired. I used to be the girl everyone thought had a weave and would ask is that your hair. :lol:

I guess I'm with you on this one. It became too much for me when the product junkie thing went overboard. I felt the needing long hair thing just went overboard when people started jumping on the MTG bandwagon. I just couldn't imagine trading good hygiene and having an offensive smell with having long hair. The simplest methods are the ones that work. Wash it, condition it, put it up, and forget about it. Hair grows the longest while wearing braids because you are giving your hair a rest. It really is that simple. Leave your hair alone, and it will grow.

Creole, you definitely raise an excellent point. Sometimes I find myself wondering what the heck am I doing all this for? I wear my hair in a bun 99% of the time, and stretch relaxers. My hair gets puffy and crazy looking. But then, when I relax, I see the growth and I realize that there is a reason for it. I think you have to do what's best for you. I am attaching something from another (White women's) hair board, that I think helps with this topic.

Another retrospective (or perhaps introspective... ) post as I've got a lull in the current project and need to occupy myself with something as I wait for a client to call me back.

Over the years I've grown my hair out there are a number of thoughts that have stayed in my mind. Call them mantras or positive affirmations if you like - they have helped me stay focused on the journey from a pixie to the current length brushing the top of my hips. In no particular order they are:

1) Think 'longhaired' and longterm already from the start
Even when I was just able to put my hair back in the first pony stub I started thinking about myself in terms of a longhair. By just looking at myself externally I sure wasn't, but the inside to a large extent governs how you treat the outside.

By starting to define myself as a longhair already then, it became an automatic reflex to be gentle with my hair and treat it well already from the outset. It would have been easy to just go with the flow and say that 'when I reach BSL is when I'll start to really think about how I treat my hair'.

Good habits start early and today is as good of a day as any to start treating your hair gently - even if it's barely below your chin. Gentle care differs to some extent depending on how long your hair is - of course you can't keep it up for protection until you have come to a certain length, but you can use good tools on it, comb it gently and try to find products that agree with your scalp and hair.

2) Enjoy the length you have right now
One thing that I gave up quite early in the process of growing was measuring in inches/centimeters. For me it became stressful looking at the tape measure every month, trying to decipher what growth I'd had and what events during the month that could potentially have affected my growth one way or the other.

Hair grows in it's own time given gentle care and left to its own devices - even for those that are slow growers. It's more fruitful enjoying the length you have right now and what you can do with it. Live in the moment with the hair you have now, instead of living in tomorrow thinking 'if I only had a few inches more I could do this'.

Related to this is specific goal setting, especially goals stated as 'reaching x length in y months'. In my opinion this only sets you up for additional stress as there will be ebb and flow in how your hair grows and no certainty in reaching a set-out point within a given timeframe.

3) Don't stress about the small things
There will be times where you snap hairs. There will be times when you don't have the energy to fully detangle and just braid hair back to forget about it. There will be times when you have absolutely horrible results from a product you try. It won't damage your hair beyond repair and it will most likely not leave any long-term bad results either.

Don't get so caught up in protecting your hair and encouraging its growth with various concoctions that you forget to live your life. Long hair is only a subset of who you are and what you do with your life - don't let it take over and don't blow the small things out of proportion.

I've said from the beginning that the moment my hair takes over and stops me from doing things I enjoy and want to do is when I need to take a step back and re-evaluate my priorities. Life first, hair second. In every instance I've found so far I've managed to find a solution to both keep the hair and do what I wanted to do - growing and keeping long hair is not an excuse to stop living.

4) Better almost right most of the time than 100% every now and then
This is closely related to items 1 and 3. Find what's acceptable and good for your hair and stick to that most of the time. A few times slacking on good care isn't going to ruin it beyond recognition - but constantly slacking and making up for it by exceptional care a few days at a time isn't going to cut it in the long run.

5) Don't compare yourself to others
This one is closely related to item 2. You're only making yourself a disservice by envying those with thicker/curlier/straighter/redder/thinner hair than yourself. Admire, yes - envy, no. Your hair is good and enough as it is and you have to make the best of it. Find the qualities in your own hair that are positive and that others would wish to have. Do you have shine that blinds people? Do you have curls that 'boing' from the slightest touch? Do you have a braid as thick as someone's wrist? Do you have a small, light updo that will never give you a scalp ache? Focus on those qualities instead of saying - 'if I could only have that...'

I think things can get a little over the top, if you let them. I recently took a step back and looked at all the damn products I have acquired since last November, oh my God!!!! I have an entire closet full of stuff, and this doesn’t include the 20 bottles of DDTA I cleaned out at Big Lots and hid from my husband for a month! I had to promise not to buy anymore stuff until I use up everything.

So yeah, it can be crazy. At the same time I have learned a lot of good tips that I hope to use for a very long time (stretching relaxers, moisturising, pre-poo treatments) and I have also let myself get caught in the frequent PJ crazes. So this board like most things in life should be taken in moderation or else…

I didn't read all the responses, so this point may have already been made, but here's my take on this: Frequenting the hair boards per se is not a bit much. What I find a bit much (sometimes WAY too much) is the lengths (no pun intended) that some people will go to in order to obtain "supergrowth." THAT is where I see the pursuit of long hair as an obssession for some. Other than that, it's a wonderful thing to learn hair care tips and products reviews from each other, in addition to the health and fitness, skin care, off topic discussions, etc. To me, it's so much more than "just" a hair board.

I thought Scurl was my saviour...PSH...yeh i did kinda "follow the leader" - the chick with the longest hair i would follow for a bit. 4get that is all i can say. look at other peoples regime, admire them and maybe catch a few tips, but dont try and follow them to a "T" it just wont work..unless u are very lucky. learn to adapt is what i say.

sprungonhairboards said:
I knew it was a bit much when I started taking pictures of my hair. Then creating an album. dark side (insert evil laugh here) :lol:

I felt this way too when I got here and saw people actually had albums with pictures of their hair. I was like WTF is wrong with these people. Get a life. But then I cut my own hair and wanted to see just how long it grow in a years time so I had to take pictures to document my experience. I have had so much fun on here. I will admit I do obsess a lot about my hair especially with relaxers. What is adding to my obsession is that I keep comparing my new stylist down here to my former one back home. I will not be satisfied until I get home and have her give me a cut/relaxer. I don't trust noone down here yet to give me a cut.

So it's never a bit much for me cuz I ain't trying to have jacked up hair.

I think when I first started my HHJ I was somewhat overawed and overwhelmed and I wanted to try everything - I spent so much money!

Thankfully I've calmed down now and for the most part it's not really a chore, I enjoy doing my hair, it gives me pleasure. I don't do a million and one things to my hair as I don't have the patience, I do the minimum and that seems to be working out just fine. Every wash, every DC is taking that bit closer to more healthier hair and I love that!

Since ive been into the whole hair care and growing thing i just look at it as part of my hygiene routine, im a very low key person not really that vain at all , i just figure , why go around with messed up hair if can do something about it? I try not be obsessive because after all it is just hair and it can gone for any reason whether it be sickness or mishandling so i dont base my self esteem on it or anything.

I think its a hobby. Like any hobby a person invests time and money into it. Where as my husband my play a video game for two hours, I may spend two hours doing my hair. It isn't "too much" unless someone is neglecting more important aspects of their life. Like if someones children and home life are suffering directly because of obsession with hair.

There are boards about EVERYTHING now! It's not that hair boards are a bit to much it's that the INTERNET is a bit too much! Lol!

Back