LHCF and Transitioning Noob!!!! (A bit long...Just a bit)

Sade18

Hey guys!! I'm another noob to LHCF. :newbie:

As some of you may know, I've been creeping around this site off and on for a while. I would pop in and look at random threads and posts and then I would leave lol But as you can tell by the title, I am now transitioning. (I made 11 weeks post today) Since I made my decision to transition, I have been doing a lot of research to better understand what goes on during transitions and how I can make my transition as simple and easy as possible. So, I finally decided to join LHCF because I've seen how knowledgeable, helpful and friendly you ladies are so I said "why not?" lol

A little about me: I may be new to transitioning, but I'm not new to my HHJ (healthy hair journey). I've been on a hhj for about 11 months now. I've learned soooo much since I began my journey in August of last year. I went from broken shoulder length hair to healthy thick hair that is now below my shoulder blades and fast approaching bsl. To learn more about why I decided to go on a HHJ just click here

Relaxers were never a problem for me. My hair broke off because of heat damage. I just couldn't put down the flat iron!!! But as my journey continued and I began to stretch my relaxers longer, I started to fall in love with the curls and coils that would pop up and say hi :yep: My last relaxer was in April. After that relaxer I regretted doing it because I immediately missed the texture of my hair. So I knew from that moment that I want to transition. I've only been relaxed for about 8 years, but that's long enough for me to forget what my natural hair looks like. Hearing stories from my mother isn't enough. I want to get to know my natural hair. So here I am, writing this post, hoping that you guys would be willing and able to help me if I ever so need it. But most importantly, I'm just looking to meet others like me who are in it for the long haul (long term transitioning). We can do it!!!!!

Congrats on your decision to transition!
I did a long term transition as well - 104 weeks to be exact. I never did a Big Chop.

Welcome Sade!!! I also transitioned for the long haul... 15 months, so I understand your excitement. Join us in some challenges! :drunk:

Welcome Sade18, Im in the long term transition thread.

Here is my story (wanna hear it, here it goes lol)
Im 22 weeks post relaxer. Ive always admired naturals from afar, but never thought I could carry it off. Sadly, I had stereotypes in my head thinking my hair was "too kinky" for that. One day in May, I stumbled upon some natural hair youtube videos and that was the day I fell in love with natural hair and my obsession began lol. Ironically, it was the first time I saw the true beauty that type 4 hair offers.

I texlaxed a years worth of virgin hair(after a bad relaxer I was natural for a year under wigs/phony ponies) in 2007 and my hair thrived that way and grew from neck length to past APL and close to BSL in a little over a year of good haircare. When I got pregnant with my son in mid 2008, I could care less about haircare bc it became all about planning for him to come :)

I neglected my hair while I was prenant, but pregnancy hormones were on my side bc it remained thick and healthy. It stayed that way until Summer of 2009 when he was about 4 months old. Then came the thinning and breakage...Im guessing a combination of neglect, post partum shedding, and stress...my hair just got thinner and thinner, especially on one side. It got to the point I couldnt wear it down bc it looked so bad. It got better for a while, and then took a turn for the worse late 2011, early 2012. When I went to do my hair for my husbands graduation in early May (3 months post) and I had an unintentional mullet lol, that was the final straw. I mini chopped it to my shoulders, and then a couple weeks later to my neck...why hold on to thin straggly, wispy ends? And so my transition began!

I think had I not suffered that setback, I wouldnt have been willing to let the length go and I probably wouldnt have decided to transition....I had never had long hair as an adult and I worked hard for that hair, I couldnt imagine just cutting it off lol...but I figured since it wasnt healthy anyway and I practically needed to cut it off and start over regardless, what better time than then to go natural? Ive really embraced this journey and am enjoying the ride so far! I plan to transition for 15-24 months.

15 months would be my birthday...so that would be a symbolic BC day...but Im not sure if Ill be at a length Im comfortable at yet...so it could be 18-24 months....that is a long time from now so Ill play it by ear.

Thanks everyone. I'm super excited about this, I'm jumping out of my seat lol I find myself in the mirror all the time just messing with my curls or having my fingers in my hair 24/7, even at work lol

@Leslie_C I know exactly what you mean about admiring naturals from afar. I've been doing that for the past few months. When I first started my journey, I would subscribe mostly to women with healthy, relaxed hair but now I'm subscribed to a lot of natural youtubers. My favorites being Naptural85, FusionofCultures, Sunshine and many others. I, too, had the idea in my head that my natural hair must have been too "nappy" (hate that word) and out of control. That must've been why it was relaxed right? *sarcasm* :nuts:

But looking at youtube videos and searching through websites and forums has helped me to see the beauty in type 4 hair as well. My coils are popping! They are cute and they are mine. And I can't wait to fully embrace them.

Last edited:
Back