Do you guys brush your hair??

Teja

I stopped brushing my hair after I joined this board...I definitly noticed that brushing my hair was causing problems with breakage and retention!!!
Does everyone on this board brush thier hair???

[

Last edited:
I haven't brushed my hair in over a year.....since joining this forum I guess. I have a denman, but I'm soooo scurred to use it. To me, feels like denman yanks hair right out of my head:blush:

I brush whenever I bun my hair, which is daily when I'm not wearing sew-ins. I usually use a toothbrush though. lol

I haven't brushed my hair in over a year.....since joining this forum I guess. I have a denman, but I'm soooo scurred to use it. To me, feels like denman yanks hair right out of my head:blush:

Yeah, I don't think that Denman brush is for me! It's rough! :nono: I have my Conair paddle brush, I use it when I detangle. I don't think I will stop that anytime soon.

I agree, I think denman gave me loads of splits, I had to cut additional 2inch of hair 3 months after bcing.
Thats like 6 months of growth for me including trims. I am just hoping I make APL by december

yes I brush my hair

i use the denman D3 to detangle anc clump my curls.
I use a paddle brush when I wrap my hair.
I use a soft bristle/wave brush when i bun or gel edges down.

I don't USUALLY brush my hair. If I do use it, let me tell you I feel sooooo guilty! Last time I used a boar bristle, I gently brushed my edges when I wore a bun.

Since I've been damn there locking my hair with twits, I don't need it...

Interestingly enough, I stopped using my Denman brush as well. I forget the name of the poster (Southern something?- she has a really good blog) posted a thread about how she suspected the Denman was giving her splits. I thought about it and decided to give it up for a while and see...I haven't noticed anything different since my hair is twisted and often in a protective style but just in case it wasn't the best tool to use, I let it go

:nono: I should have known cuz that detangling process was TOO good!

I don't. The only time I have ever used a brush in my hair was to "comb" the "peppercorns" that form at the hairline or the nape when wearing braids/cornrows so that they blend in with the braids. Otherwise I personally have never run a brush through my hair.

I don't brush my hair, I haven't since August '07 BUT I'm seriously thinking about trying the denman brush to detangle (when wet and saturated in conditioner) when I'm 6 months (and more) into my transition. Maybe I'll wait till I've BC'd cos I'm concerned the difference in textures might be a problem.

Last edited:
I use a toothbrush to brush my edges because they're quite long, I don't own a regular brush...don't need it.

I stopped brushing my hair after I joined this board...I definitly noticed that brushing my hair was causing problems with breakage and retention!!!
Does everyone on this board brush thier hair???

Teja,

I stopped brushing years ago with a boar bristle as any form of treatment...100 strokes. I occasionally use one to lay down strays when I sleek bun but other than that, no. I even stopped for my daughters. We use Denman or Vidal Sassoon rubber brushes when the hair is freshly shampoo'd/conditioned. I find that my strands are stronger as a result.

The thing I most like about LHCF is that we dare to listen to our own personal needs, no matter how strange they seem compared to the mainstream. It's very encouraging and enlightening to actually listen to your body. I don't even comb everyday. I'll be waistlength by Fall...OMG!!!! (kol hakavod, G-d help me!!!) I can't believe it even. I pray I don't mess it up lol. But no, you're not alone at all.

I don't USUALLY brush my hair. If I do use it, let me tell you I feel sooooo guilty! Last time I used a boar bristle, I gently brushed my edges when I wore a bun.

Since I've been damn there locking my hair with twits, I don't need it...

Interestingly enough, I stopped using my Denman brush as well. I forget the name of the poster (Southern something?- she has a really good blog) posted a thread about how she suspected the Denman was giving her splits. I thought about it and decided to give it up for a while and see...I haven't noticed anything different since my hair is twisted and often in a protective style but just in case it wasn't the best tool to use, I let it go

:nono: I should have known cuz that detangling process was TOO good!

Oh snap! :nono: I just used my Denman yesterday to remove the shed hairs after detangling with my LHL's seamless detangling comb. I used the method posted on the biracialhair.org web-site. I was happy with the results though. I'll stop using the Denman just to be safe. My ends easily split.

I do however use a soft bristle brush to smooth my edges (after apply a leave-in) when I put my hair up.

I do, I use a mason pearson brush ,it stimulates my scalp, which I love. I wondered why people stopped brushing their hair. But I won't stop!!! :D
No I don't do 100 stokes a day, more like a few I haven't noticed any lose in retaining my length or my hair. :D

Last edited:
Yes, I have two brushes -- a boar bristled one and another very soft one I use sometimes when wrapping. I like to give my hair a good brushing once a week right before I wash. Helps with detangling and shed hair and makes the washing process a little bit smoother.

I brush just about everyday mostly my edges for ponytails or buns. When I flat iron I brush out my length to make it fall right. I tried the no comb and no brush thing for only a few days in the beginning:nono:. My hair is prone to tangles.

Didn't I already answer this question? Doyou have an identical thread going on? Because I'm sure I posted to this question, but I don't see it on here.

Yes, I use my round brush w/ natural bristles and my paddle brush for wraps. I don't use my hard synthetic brush anymore, though.

I still use all manner of combs, too, & I really can't picture myself not brushing my hair.

Last edited:
I only brush my hair to smooth the top of my hair when I'm bunning it. I use a boar bristle brush which is prett soft - I really like that brush.

use a boar bristle brush to smooth my hair down when i wrap it at night. i wrap my hair maybe once or twice a week depending on the style.

aside from that, brushes are downright evil.

I tried no brushing for a while; it wasn't pretty. :nono: I use a boar bristle brush daily to smooth my edges, and a detangling brush before washing.

Back