Do you have a second?...

pureebony

So my mother says I cant grow long hair....:sad: she says black women just cant grow long hair unless they are mixed.

Im so fed up of hearing this, but when I went to church today, all you could see were black women with either wigs, weaves, extension braid etc.. I was :sad:

But I know there are many who can, have and are growing their hair long.... its ok for me to dream to have tailbone length hair?! isn't it?

I need to prove my mum and all my friends that you don't have to be mixed to have long hair. So could you lovely ladies post either your fotki links and pics of your long tresses please... I want to prove to my mum that it is possible.

Thanks!

Neith

Most people that think that way will STILL say they are mixed even if they don't look like it at all :lachen:

but still, I think it's a good idea to show them anyway. The best proof will be when you grow your hair long :yep:

VettaVetta

You don't have to be mixed to have long hair. That is a myth that will continue to rotate.Prove to your mother by taking care of your hair and bring her to this site let her see all the pictures of women with glorious hair that will change her mind.

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
So my mother says I cant grow long hair....:sad: she says black women just cant grow long hair unless they are mixed.

Im so fed up of hearing this, but when I went to church today, all you could see were black women with either wigs, weaves, extension braid etc.. I was :sad:

But I know there are many who can, have and are growing their hair long.... its ok for me to dream to have tailbone length hair?! isn't it?

I need to prove my mum and all my friends that you don't have to be mixed to have long hair. So could you lovely ladies post either your fotki links and pics of your long tresses please... I want to prove to my mum that it is possible.

Thanks!

Don't believe the hype girl!! Many women believe this because they have observed many unhealthy hair practices, and how can you grow long hair when you don't take care of it.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
A lot of people think that way. Before I found LHCF, I was one of them :ohwell: My hair was a glued up broken off mess.

I sure wish I woulda taken some pics when I FIRST started, black glue and everything. But I was just too embarassed. My whole life, my hair never passed my shoulders. I used to cry and pray to God about my hair. I'm living proof that with proper care, your hair WILL grow! You can show your mom my album, it's in my siggy :yep:

Last edited:

Sly

Try a search for the Member of the Month. And there are several threads that have compiled fotki's.

Separately, I've found NOT talking about it to the naysayers is key for me and my journey. I don't waste time arguing what I know to be true. My approach is to lay low (ie hide hair around naysayers via protective styles, LHCF and prepoo in private :laugh:, etc). My hair will speak for itself once my goal is reached. I put my energy into getting 'there' as fast as I can :lachen: and learning as much as I can about managing the new growth, and retaining the length. You may be excited but in sharing the ideals of LHCF, some treat you like you are converting to a cult religion. . . . . . . . naw, man, I just want thick ends!!!

onyxdreams

I agree with what the other ladies have stated.Just don't focus on proving anyone wrong ,that takes to much energy.Be that example and that will change their minds.This myth about Black women being unable to grow hair runs deep in our community,just become a change agent save your breath,teach, and grow some hair.I think that as individuals we can changemore minds by being an example then arguing,

pureebony

Thanks ladies- you all are right, right now Im trying to grow my hair, but Im sooo inconsistent, but I will and need to make a change, I have seen so many ladies here go from nothing to something by looking after their hair, so im going to do just that!

Thanks ladies.

P.S I will be dreaming long hair till then lol

Kimberly

Girl, my mama said practically the same thing to me...she was like *I don't know why you think you can grow long hair. You ain't never had long hair. I ain't never had long hair. So what makes you think you can grow long hair?* :rolleyes:

Whatever, 6 months later she was asking me for tips and advice and taking me with her to the bss to select products.

You have to just set your mind to it and do it.

vnaps

funny you should say this.....

i am Zimbabwean and i have such a tough time convincing fellow africans that they can grow their hair really long.there's one girl who came to ask me for advice and i was telling her what she should do and recommeded this site to her.....

but she was SOOOOOO skeptical saying stuff like but they are americans and our hair is different :wallbash:etc etc....

which is not the case. yes we all have different hair types but the care needed is the same especially for relaxed hair.

just dont give up!!!i also want to show people that it can be done!

anon123

tell her "just watch me" and leave it at that.

vnaps, funny you should say that. i've never considered my hair long, but when i was studying in zim i remember someone asking me why black americans had such long hair. i don't even remember what i said, but i like to imagine that i told them not to believe everything they see on tv.

pinkchocolatedaisy

I hate hearing that type of thinking- NOW. But I was one of the poorly informed before too. Then I also had to remember that I had long hair as a child (APL, maybe longer- and this was when I was natural!). Of course nobody is going to have long hair if it an't healthy! You can't dye, fry, not moisturize, etc and have BSL. Silly me, I kept thinking I could and then thought "oh, my hair won't grow cause I"m black." :rolleyes:

Well I say no pain no gain! Kinda like losing weight/getting in shape. Without the work, you won't reap the rewards. Stay here with all these experts (not me, cause I'm not one with my 4 mo BC) and you will prove them wrong and shut their mouths wide open (ok, I know y'all remember that one from Crooklyn!!!)

Just remember: YES you CAN and YOU WILL!

locabouthair

Try a search for the Member of the Month. And there are several threads that have compiled fotki's.

Separately, I've found NOT talking about it to the naysayers is key for me and my journey. I don't waste time arguing what I know to be true. My approach is to lay low (ie hide hair around naysayers via protective styles, LHCF and prepoo in private :laugh:, etc). My hair will speak for itself once my goal is reached. I put my energy into getting 'there' as fast as I can :lachen: and learning as much as I can about managing the new growth, and retaining the length. You may be excited but in sharing the ideals of LHCF, some treat you like you are converting to a cult religion. . . . . . . . naw, man, I just want thick ends!!!

Let the church say amen!

I stopped telling people about my hair goals. People will be quick to tell you you cant do it because its not in your genes or because you aren't mixed. And then you get discouraged from that negative thinking. I dont say ANYTHING about my hair to people. I was trying to tell my friend about stretching, mind you Im at NL, and she's a thick APL, so she's looking at me like whatever ****:rolleyes: I'll let my hair speak for itself.

vnaps

tell her "just watch me" and leave it at that.

vnaps, funny you should say that. i've never considered my hair long, but when i was studying in zim i remember someone asking me why black americans had such long hair. i don't even remember what i said, but i like to imagine that i told them not to believe everything they see on tv.

lol....i know how you feel mwedzi .....when i was home last (before i had even started my hair care journey) people thought my hair was to die for :lachen:

true true about the tv thing....

Sly

Let the church say amen!

I stopped telling people about my hair goals. People will be quick to tell you you cant do it because its not in your genes or because you aren't mixed. And then you get discouraged from that negative thinking. I dont say ANYTHING about my hair to people. I was trying to tell my friend about stretching, mind you Im at NL, and she's a thick APL, so she's looking at me like whatever ****:rolleyes: I'll let my hair speak for itself.

ITA!

This hair thing is so emotional as it is. . . don't need the Negative Nellies and Debbie Downers. . .

pureebony

you lot cack me up!

well im back on my hair care regime, im upting the moistures and growth aids lol lol

Then here this, when I showed my friends how long my hair grew (prior chopping it off) I was told I have that good hair................

mind you im a 4a/3c.... I thought kinks and curls were the same :look:

then she was like- to my friends with 3a/ 3b hair... you have that good hair...:look: I was like seriously why do we put each other down.

I DONT CARE ABOUT CURKS AND KINKS- I WANT WAIST LENGTH HAIR ......sorry :grin:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Yeah, people are good to bring up the "mixed" thing when your hair grows out. One of dh's aunts saw my hair recently and was asking about what I do. I told her my reggie and was talking about proper haircare. She said "That stuff won't work for me, you're mixed" I told her "If you count my great grandaddy being half indian, then yeah, I guess I am" :rolleyes:

But what kills me though is she has an Indian card, so she's more Indian than I am! :perplexed

Fine 4s

Thanks!

By the date in the corner, it looks like you've been here for 4 years already. Why are you doubting yourself NOW? What happened or didn't happen?

pureebony

well technically I have been lurking, but only recently decided to get up to point with my hair.... grew it to apl, then chopped it off again 3 months ago- due to damage. Now im back to square one... but im getting good growth, just need to work on that moisture... im weaving it up- its giving me great growth.

But its keeping my ends that im finding hard.

SEMO

Sure you can grow long hair and not be mixed. But I feel what you mean about surveying the landscape in church. Though there are a few ladies in my church with gorgeous hair who I've wondered if they're Niko's cousins or not.

My hair is not super long yet, but here's a pic of my hair straightened (I'm bra-strap length).

SEMO

funny you should say this.....

i am Zimbabwean and i have such a tough time convincing fellow africans that they can grow their hair really long.there's one girl who came to ask me for advice and i was telling her what she should do and recommeded this site to her.....

but she was SOOOOOO skeptical saying stuff like but they are americans and our hair is different :wallbash:etc etc....

which is not the case. yes we all have different hair types but the care needed is the same especially for relaxed hair.

just dont give up!!!i also want to show people that it can be done!

Genetics doesn't change just b/c you're on a different continent. ;) Your hair will be proof to her.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
I remember when I first started trying Cathy Howse's regimen, my mother told me that I would "kill" my hair by washing too often (twice a week).

Fall 2006, my hair fell out from not properly combing out the shed hair when I took out my braids. It looked like she had been vindicated because I went from between SL and APL to neck length with thin ends.

Fast forward to last month when I went to visit her, she said wow your hair is back. I'm APL now. Now she's wanting to use what I use and wants me to do her hair all the time.

OP all this is to say that the best proof is YOU. So set up a strict regimen and grow that black hair.

CoffeeBean

Word of advice.... if Obama can do it, we can do ANYTHING. The root is education and this is why we have joined. :user: Prove her wrong!

Nayeli

I LOVE hearing when someone says stuff like this. Just makes me wanna moisturise and DC even more. My mother was never a huge disbeliever that I could grow my hair, but she's just floored now (and I'm not even APL), I have her on a regimen and everytime I speak to her she asks about my progress. Most people come around when you prove them wrong so just stick to your guns OP.

pureebony

Sure you can grow long hair and not be mixed. But I feel what you mean about surveying the landscape in church. Though there are a few ladies in my church with gorgeous hair who I've wondered if they're Niko's cousins or not.

My hair is not super long yet, but here's a pic of my hair straightened (I'm bra-strap length).

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

That's where I wanna be in March 09!!!

Thanks you guys, you all are so great and supportive.... well Im going to go and purchase some Hawaiian silk 14 in 1 , moisturizer!! tailbone length hair her i come!!!!