Just a Reminder -LONG!

CheLala13

First, let me start by saying that I've been a lurker but I am now a member & I'm glad to have women who's hair I can look up to.

I've seen a lot of threads and posts where women get really upset or sensitive to the fact that people think their hair isn't real or they continuously get asked if they're mixed and I've seen "reports" that say it's genetically impossible for black women to grow long hair...and I just want to remind everyone that not everyone knows of this site.

I've been guilty of thinking that all long-haired black girls were mixed and if they said they weren't mixed then they were lying. And I've also been guilty of feeling the back of girls heads searching for tracks. The fact is that I haven't had any hair role models. I knew all of 6 black girls in my whole HS career to have long hair, and 4 of them were mixed. Anytime before then, the only girls I saw who had long hair WERE mixed which made me come to the conclusion that you must be mixed to have long hair.

Yes, it's ignorance, but that's all I knew. None of my family has extremely long hair. Long to me, believe it or not, WAS APL. If I ever mentioned wanting hair reaching the middle of my back, I was told it wasn't a possibilty. I saw so many "reports" that said that genetically black women couldn't grow their hair long. So, I'm really glad I've found this site to see women who have long hair (mixed or not, it doesn't matter). So, ladies, if women are questioning your hair, they're curious, and want to see themselves in your shoes. So try to encourage and tell them that they too can grow long hair instead of being mad. Take it as a compliment.

Ok, I'm done. whew.

LadyKaypnyc

I can see your point, once you tell someone that you aren't mixed, and they still think you're lying...they are not trying to be nice.

I was in barnes and noble yesterday, and an older Black woman was like, you have pretty hair, and I love your skin, what products do you use...after talking to her for a while, and telling her about the LHCF, she was like, I know you said you were Black, but are you dominican Black?

I said no, I'm African American, and she was like, black girls don't have curls...(After restraining my hot headed bestfriend), I tried to (calmly) explain to her that Black women can, and do have curls....anyway, she walked away with an attitude.

Some people are not willing to change their ig'nant views, but I will definately take your advice to heart :grin:

prospurr4

Excellent thread/post, CheLala! You bring up some great reminders, that as members of this board, we may tend to forget.:yep:

Hair Iam

WELCOME:grin:
What you said was the trust, people are mostly misinformed or ignorant to much of the knowledge that the LHCF has whittled out over the years. If it were not for the Grace of God and finding this forum I would have thought you had to be mixed or only a fortunate few could grow healthy, long hair.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Welcome CheLala13 :grin:

I understand where you're coming from...just a few years ago, I believed the same things that you mention in your post. I'm so glad that I didn't give up hope that it was possible for me to grow long hair and found this site along with Cathy Howse's book to prove to me that my beliefs were true.

Platinum

Welcome! Until I found out about this site, I thought most Black females with long hair (with the exception of little children) had weaves. Somehow along the way, I had forgotten that nutrition and proper hair care are essential for healthy hair growth. Ispent so much money over the years on useless products; I guess, seeking a "magic potion" so I can have long hair. I thank God for this forum. Not only has it changed my perception, the ladies here have inspired me in so many ways. I can achieve any length I want. I love LHCF!:grin:

Just adding my 2 cents...

Christa438

Hi CheLala! welcome to LHCF! :grin:

I always knew black women and girls could have long hair. Most of the women and girls in my family have had long pretty hair when younger and natural. My main mistake was thinking that all black women had the same texture unless mixed and I did buy into the good hair/bad hair stuff for a while.

{I understand what you said but I still think there is a right and wrong approach. I never grabbed/yanked/pulled/tugged/touched a stranger's hair to do a weave check or just to feel the hair so even before I came to LHCF I knew better than that. (Plus depending on the person, that can be kinda dangerous and lead to a serious problem.) I just knew better because of the good manners that my mama taught me. Some of the stories I heard just shocked me--i feel there's no excuse for some actions IMO.}

MizAvalon

I can see your point, once you tell someone that you aren't mixed, and they still think you're lying...they are not trying to be nice.

Completely agree with this. I will never take a rude, inappropriate comment as a compliment. I understand that not everyone thinks of those comments as rude but the day you say some dumb ish to me, is the PERFECT day to learn that they are.

You don't know any better? No problem, happy to teach you something new.:perplexed

Platinum

Welcome! Until I found out about this site, I thought most Black females with long hair (with the exception of little children) had weaves. Somehow along the way, I had forgotten that nutrition and proper hair care are essential for healthy hair growth. Ispent so much money over the years on useless products; I guess, seeking a "magic potion" so I can have long hair. I thank God for this forum. Not only has it changed my perception, the ladies here have inspired me in so many ways. I can achieve any length I want. I love LHCF!:grin:

Let me add something to my last post. I, along with many of my friends and family members had long hair as kids but damaged it as we got older. Then, we would try ever "new' growth product that came out or hide behind weaves. I had almost given up on my quest for long hair and started a quest for the perfect weave. I'm glad that I found LHCF. Within a few weeks, I noticed a major improvement in the condition of my hair. OMG, I forgot the OP is a newbie... I'm sorry for changing the subject on this topic. So...

:band::dance7::circle::welcome:

I was told so many times throughout life that I could never have midback hair. I was also told that I could not transition without starting from scratch. I never beleived this. I think not beleiving the myths is what got us all here. I still try to tell people who compliment me and say they wish there hair would grow that it can but they choose to be limited by their minds. If you beleive your cannot grow past neck length, it will stay there.

I knew my hair could be long a long time ago but I always lost patience and damaged it. Anyway, I guess although most of us have gotten discouraged at one time or another, we still could not completely beleive that we were destined to have short hair. Otherwise, we would have given up. I really love having a place to come where people love hair as much as I do. I was told plenty of times that I was obsessed with hair or that it was shallow to be so concerned with it. I love seeing black women with long beautiful hair and could never hate on it. Actually, if my hair looks so good that people think I bought and paid for it, I'll take it as a compliment.:grin:

CheLala13

LOl, yea I was always searching for a "magic potion." I'm glad I learned about hair goals, makes life soooo much better. Months don't even seem that far away.