Do You Regret Having Different Types of Shampoos?

Barbara

Princess
Because of this board, I have four shampoos. However, I don't mind testing products that are recommended as long as they work. That's the key. :yep:

My stylist said: "It's good to rotate products." When he said that, that's what made me start listening to you ladies about buying different products. Then my stylist would recommend other products that I didn't mind buying because they were mentioned on this hair care forum. I was elated, because they cost a lot less and get the job done!! I still get salon results for a fraction of the cost! That's important during these tough economic days. So in answer to my own question, I don't regret having different shampoos.

Now when it comes to conditioners, that's another story. :lachen:

I still haven't found a staple shampoo. So I don't regret having a couple...well only cuz they don't work. I loved the old Creme of Nature but I can't find it anymore. I need a sulfate free one. All others dry my hair out.

I do regret.....b/c I've been trying shampoo after shampoo in an attempt to find one that doesn't irritate my scalp/cause dryness/flakiness. I just had my epiphany last week: my scalp hates sulfates. Ever since I started using Organix Coconut Milk shampoo and baking soda, my scalp is sooooo happy and clear. So now I have about 8 shampoos that I can't use.

Maybe I'll use as hand soap or body wash.....shampoo does also make a great tub cleaner :ohwell:

Maybe I'll use as hand soap or body wash.....shampoo does also make a great tub cleaner :ohwell:

I don't have any shampoos, but that's how I used up all the ones I wasn't going to use. I also used them to shave, to clean the toilet (after the real cleaner, it leaves a nice smell instead of lysol), to wash the car, to wash my scarves/headbands, and I'm sure in other ways too.

I still haven't found a staple shampoo. So I don't regret having a couple...well only cuz they don't work. I loved the old Creme of Nature but I can't find it anymore. I need a sulfate free one. All others dry my hair out.

Have you tried Elasta QP Creme Conditioning poo? It's Sulfate-free. I haven't tried it yet since I still have a lot of CON left but many posters have said it's like CON but with less build up. :yep:

I think I regret shampoo period!! Never knew why my hair so dry after washing, so dry and stripped! If I use it now it has to be sulfate free or I do co-washes. I also purchase some Dr. Bonners soap that I haven't gotten around to using...heard it cleans wonderful with oils and bottled or distilled water! Never going back to shampoo again !! ;)

I LOVe Elucence shampoos, so no i don't regret having different types of shampoos!

I'm also warming up to Aphogee poo for damaged hair... works pretty good as a first lather poo :yep:

Here's my list:
Elucence MB poo- good overall poo. I use this one the most. cleans the hair and scalp well and is very gentle and moisturizing/detangling.
Elucence Volume Clarifying- it also has chelating ingredients so its a good dusl purpose clarifying/chelating poo. Needs to be followed by a moisturizing poo. This is my staple clarifier.
Elucence Moisture Acidifying- Very moisturizing and detangling.
Aphogee poo- my proeting poo. cleans my scalp well.
ORS Creamy aloe- on the fence about this one...

Have you tried Elasta QP Creme Conditioning poo? It's Sulfate-free. I haven't tried it yet since I still have a lot of CON left but many posters have said it's like CON but with less build up. :yep:
I've been meaning to get that. I'll pick some up on my next trip to the BSS. Thanks!

Nope I don't regret it. I do wish I had a set that I love and not just a bunch of random products.

No, I don't regret it. I have a protein poo - Aphogee, Clarifying - Suave,
and two moisure poos -Aphogee and Pantene poo/conditioner.

I also have the Organics Pomegranate and Green Tea sulfate free shampoo and I like that as well.

I like them all and I've had no problems using them.

Yes! lol

When i first started up until not long ago I was always on the search for a good non-sulfate shampoo so I tried EVERYTHING. Now my outlook on shampoo has totally changed and I'm stuck with so much shampoo and it takes me forever to use it. At lease i don't have to worry about buying any for a few years, lol.

When I use it all up I only plan to have one clarifying shampoo...one regular moisturizing poo.....and maybe one non-sulfate poo.

No i don't regret having different types of shampoo, i have four

2 moisturizing- elucence moisture benefits shampoo
taliah waajid black earth shampoo

and i have 2 clarifying

elucence clarify/volumizing shampoo
taliah waajid herbal stimulating cleanser

I keep these in rotation, the taliah waajid shampoos contain sls but they do not strip or bother my hair.

Yea, I do regret having all these Shampoos, I only use Sulfate-Free, Organic Shampoos now, and I am finding that they still have a drying effect on My hair, I know that they shouldn't, but whatever detergent agent used to replace the Sulfates are just as drying, and I also still have a few Kenras and Joico shampoos that are just sitting there being wasted, purchased them prior to learning that Sulfates were bad for My already dry Mane, now I dare not use them unless I need to clarify, although they are not technically clarifying Shampoos, just a little bit of Sulfates is all My fine hair needs to be stripped bone dry, Terrible!

All the shampoos I've bought strip my hair and made it either squeaky or tangled even Non sls kinds. So now I use them as body wash for now. I'm using shampoo bars and bentonite clay which is too soon to see if they're working but I like them so far. Now with conditioners I never regret them. I'm a fiend for them I swear.

Yes, I'm tired of experimenting and I would love to stick with one or two brands for everything. Paul Mitchell and Aveda are high on my list but I'm still researching other brands. I hope to get rid of my storage bin of products and just have a little box with the essentials. That is my new goal lol.

I don't regret anything I have. I like different shampoos for different things. Creamy ones for after a protein treatment. Gel-like ones for cleaning my scalp on the regular. If it's supposed to be a strengthening shampoo like Garnier, I use it when I'm too lazy to do a protein treatment. I love my shampoos.

Have you tried Trader Joe's Nourish Spa? Here's what one reviewer on Makeup Alley wrote about it:

Nourish Shampoo, how do I love you? Let me count the ways...
1. You are free of SLS and other harsh detergents
2. You are silicone free
3. you are full of wonderful, natural ingredients that truly "nourish" my hair
4. You lather just enough to clean but not enough to strip my hair
5. You smell like heaven: melon, tinged with an aquatic/green scent. (and I don't usually like fruity smelling stuff.
6. you only cost $3 a bottle
7. You have a matching HG conditioner and the two of you have completely transformed my hair
8. you have a pleasant looking bottle
9. you safe for my colour treated hair
10. You are my HG shampoo (and conditioner)

I do regret.....b/c I've been trying shampoo after shampoo in an attempt to find one that doesn't irritate my scalp/cause dryness/flakiness. I just had my epiphany last week: my scalp hates sulfates. Ever since I started using Organix Coconut Milk shampoo and baking soda, my scalp is sooooo happy and clear. So now I have about 8 shampoos that I can't use.

Okay ladies don't laugh at me but I have using some of the poos that I will no longer using on my hair as a body wash. I figure since I wash my hair in the shower, the poo runs down my body anyway and doesn't harm it in any way. I realize too, that the ingredients were so similar to body wash ingredients so I thought, what the heck!

I don't use it down there. I save that area of my body for Summer's Eve:grin:!

I don't regret anything I have. I like different shampoos for different things. Creamy ones for after a protein treatment. Gel-like ones for cleaning my scalp on the regular. If it's supposed to be a strengthening shampoo like Garnier, I use it when I'm too lazy to do a protein treatment. I love my shampoos.

Have you tried Trader Joe's Nourish Spa? Here's what one reviewer on Makeup Alley wrote about it:
We don't have a Trader Joe's here in Tallahassee. I'd probably have to order it unless it can be found somewhere else. I was also thinking of trying shampoo bars from CV.

By the way I do have a number of shampoos, mostly sulfate free that I love and use, say about 7 or 8 I think. They are all somewhat different though, clarifying, neutralizing, swimmer's poo, moisturizing, protein, biotin enriched, etc...

Nope, I don't regret having different types of shampoos. They're all sulfate free, and I'm happy with each of them. :)

I don't use a lot of shampoo now, i do have 2.
Why? When i was relaxed i just wash my hair once per week, but i usually use the special shampoo (line) for the style i wanted to get (Duh).

For example.
When i was using blowdryer and flat iron, ALWAYS used the TREsemmè Thermal Recovery Line
When i wanted curls, i used the Sammy for getting curls line (The yellow one, looooooved it when i was relaxed, now natural, not so good)
I also used Herbal Esscense Totally Twist when i wanted curls (using it now as well)
I had a Garnier Fructis Oil Repair line when i was air drying my hair xD

I was CRAZY about differents products when i was relaxed, is ea$$$ier for me now cause i just wash and go untill my hair grows, After that, i guess i will be buying differents lines again, to use when change the hair style; so no, i don't regret having differents types of shampoos/conditioners/creams/leave-ins/treatments.

I Never Really Let My Shampoo Purchases Get out of Hand (believe it or not:perplexed)

Shampoos have never really been my thing.:ohwell:

Conditioners are another story.:look:

I do own about 2-3 Clarifying Shampoos.

And maybe 1 or 2 Moisturizing Shampoos.

I currently have several shampoos, but I will be eliminating some:

• Pantene Clarifying Shampoo - works REALLY well
  • Isoplus Neutralizing Shampoo - a pre LHCF staple
  • ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo - work very well, very cleansing
  • VO5 Moisture Milks & Clarifying Poo - no longer works for me
  • Suave Kids' 2n1 Free and Gentle Poo - cleansing w/o stripping

I will eliminate the VO5, Isoplus, and Pantene. ORS and Suave are keepers. I don't need a moisturizing shampoo b/c I always follow the shampoo with either conditioner or deep conditioner.

No, I don't regret having multiple shampoos.

I use them for various reasons.

Clarifying
Neutralizing
Moisturizing
Repairing
etc

They all serve various purposes and I like them all.

Last edited:
I rarely use shampoos anymore. I cleanse my hair with WEN and other conditioning products. On the rare ocassion I use shampoo, it's the Ovation poo and I only use it maybe every 2-3 months.

Americka: What are you planning to use for your Neutralizing Shampoo?

The ORS Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo - it is what ORS includes in the relaxer kit. The bottle says it removes calcium build up, restores moisture, gently cleans and neutralizes. I must admit that my hair does not feel stripped when I use it.

The ORS Olive Oil Creamy Aloe Shampoo - it is what ORS includes in the relaxer kit. The bottle says it removes calcium build up, restores moisture, gently cleans and neutralizes. I must admit that my hair does not feel stripped when I use it.

Thanks.

I also forgot to add, I own 2 Bottles of Neutralizing 'poo.:yep:

I love trying new products so I like having different types of shampoo. Right now I have shampoo by Creme of Nature (I still have an old bottle of the old sulfate-free formula!), Redken, The Body Shop, and Victoria's Secret. And I have a sample packet of Sunsilk shampoo. :lol:

Yesterday I finished my bottle of Nexxus shampoo.

Oh, and there's my bottle of Mizani Phormula 7 that I use for clarifying.

That's all.

When I run out of those I plan to buy something that I haven't tried before just because I like trying different things.

Back