Do you think dc'ing on dry hair is effective?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I'm not totally confident with it. I love the convenience but I'm not sure it's 100% effective. Reason being (for me at least)...I may wash once a week and at the end of that week my hair has product on it. I feel that any type of product weather it be moisturizer, oils, butters, stylers, etc.....(not to mention pollution and dirt/dust in the air, lol) is preventing the conditioner from fully penetrating. It may work fine for someone that uses no product whatsoever but if you use products wouldn't they get in the way somewhat?

I think the penetration would be so much better on clean dry hair:yep:. I think I'm gonna start shampooing first and air-drying, then applying my dc. I'm experimenting with this today.

I'm curious to hear any thoughts/views on this.

Mleah

I've been curious about this too. Seems like it would be only partially effective. I can't wait for your results.

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
I feel that any type of product weather it be moisturizer, oils, butters, stylers, etc.....(not to mention pollution and dirt/dust in the air, lol) is preventing the conditioner from fully penetrating. It may work fine for someone that uses no product whatsoever but if you use products wouldn't they get in the way somewhat?

I think the penetration would be so much better on clean dry hair:yep:. I think I'm gonna start shampooing first and air-drying, then applying my dc. I'm experimenting with this today.

I'm curious to hear any thoughts/views on this.

I tend to agree. I like dcing on dry hair but I only do it when I have used cone free/ water soluble cones and penetrating oils. It is tricky now that I am transitioning and straighening with sabino, etc. That stuff creates such a barrier that I have to use diluted poo twice to get it out.

secretdiamond

I'm not totally confident with it. I love the convenience but I'm not sure it's 100% effective. Reason being (for me at least)...I may wash once a week and at the end of that week my hair has product on it. I feel that any type of product weather it be moisturizer, oils, butters, stylers, etc.....(not to mention pollution and dirt/dust in the air, lol) is preventing the conditioner from fully penetrating.
This is how I feel too. :yep: Esp. the bolded. I was loving it at first, & I still do love it for the convenience, but I somehow feel I may be fooling myself into thinking it's just as effective to avoid spending more time during the wash & conditioning process.

msa

I think it depends on the ingredients in the products you use throughout the week and how much you put on. Penetrating ingredients will be absorbed and oils/butters easily rub off in your scarf and on the hands. Now heavy silicones and sealers (ex Vaseline) will still be there when you dc so I can see that being an issue and limiting absorption.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I tend to agree. I like dcing on dry hair but I only do it when I have used cone free/ water soluble cones and penetrating oils. It is tricky now that I am transitioning and straighening with sabino, etc. That stuff creates such a barrier that I have to use diluted poo twice to get it out.
Yeah i wont do it if I've used any sort of cone, or something w/ a bad ingredient in it because it's pointless.

Sweet Charm

I don't think it is as effective either that's why I wash my hair, let it air-dry or blow dry it on cool and then apply my deep conditioner. My hair always comes out better

Fine 4s

I don't think it is as effective either that's why I wash my hair, let it air-dry or blow dry it on cool and then apply my deep conditioner. My hair always comes out better

Oh wow, u wash BLOW DRY and THEN apply the DC....that's sounds good but sure is a lot of work!!!!!!

ceebee3

I only DC on dry hair with protein, after that I wash towel dry, air dry then apply my moisturizing deep conditioner.

This works very well and I only do it once a week.

Ganjababy

I always DC on dry hair. If I have products in other than leave-in conditioners/oils (eg gel) I wash it out and hair dry then dc

Computer Blue

It's only mountains and the sea
Yeah i wont do it if I've used any sort of cone, or something w/ a bad ingredient in it because it's pointless.

Yeah I forgot to add that I also will spritz my dry hair with hibiscus tea , hoping that it will break down water soluble cones & with help of the water in the conditioner. I agree with the sentiment of wondering if you are fooling yourself doing it sometimes.

I only DC on dry hair with protein, after that I wash towel dry, air dry then apply my moisturizing deep conditioner.

This works very well and I only do it once a week.

I do the same. However, I don't apply a deep conditioner afterwards. I simply use a regular moisturizing conditioner. Also, I agree that it works well for me.

jazzyto

I tried it on dry hair and I dont think it penetrated as well. so now I was and apply condish to damp hair.

JustKiya

I always DC on dry hair.

Of course, I also never use cones of any kind, and the heaviest butter I use is shea, for pure 'stickiness', and by the time I've gotten to the end of the week, most of the product that was 'on' my hair has either sank into my hair/scalp, been rubbed on on my fingers/scarf, or evaporated. :lol:

Neith

I don't see any logical reason it wouldn't work.

A (good) deep conditioner basically is made of Water, Emolients (oils/cones), Emuslifiers/Conditioners (usually fatty alcohols like Cetyl Alcohol for example) and Humectants.

Firstly there is PLENTY water in conditioners. Your hair will get hydrated from conditioner alone.

It's the same process, but with less water. Your hair can only hold so much water anyway. I would think that more conditioner would absorb because there is less water to compete with.

Personal choice as to how you go about DCing, both are effective imo. I do both, but I mostly DC on dry hair.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
The results of my dry/clean hair dc are wonderful. My hair felt strong for once. I saw and felt a very noticible difference than when I dc on dirty/dry hair. I'll definitely be doing it this way as often as I can.

Oh and I used Lekair Cholesterol Plus, one of my fav's that I've been using for years so I know how to compare the difference in how my hair feels with this conditioner.

Thanks for all the input ladies!

nevaeh

Ladies who deep condition on "clean dry hair" are you washing, airdrying, DC'ing, rinsing and air drying again?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Dc'ing on clean dry hair......I'm gonna be doing this from now on!!!!

I put my hair in two twists to dry and I just took them down.....my hair feels sooooo good! It's silky soft, moisturized and managable. It feels strong too. I definitely notice a huge difference than when I do this on dirty hair.

ETA....I'm not a frequent dc'er because I never really saw a huge difference after doing it but this has me convinced and inspired to do it a lot more often.

Last edited:

LaidBak

I don't let my hair get dirty/coated enough for stuff not to penetrate. I wash about every 3 days. I don't DC on dry hair very often, but I did earlier today. I did a hot oil treatment (on dry hair) then I put my DC on over that (with more heat). I don't think I have to worry about it not penetrating.

jamaraa

I have done it and I have my own little made up condish for this purpose (I mix up the last tiny bits of other condishes that I have w/ some oil and make a "super" condish).

I find it works quite nicely. I have been doing htis for years and I never knew there was a word for it, ie prepoo.

I find this works better than hot oil treatments alone. LOL...I just mixed my hot oil stuff in my Frankenstein condish and called it a day.