• Yes

Votes: 135 70.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Depends --please explain

Votes: 36 18.8%

• Total voters

leona2025

If the stylist did a good job do you tip? If so how much? What if the hair only looks ok? Do you feel bad or akward if you don't tip? What if the prices are really high? When I get my hair done I always feel bad if I don't tip, but if I do tip I feel obligated to do it everytime since I did the first time. What do you ladies think?

Yeah, I'd tell her "here's a tip. Don't use a wet towel to wipe off a toaster while it's plugged in". :lachen:
I know...corny!

ETA~ Seriously, if I went to a salon I would tip. I believe in tipping because I was once a waitress and I know how it is to live on what people give in tips.

Last edited:
Yes, I tip. This may be cheap, but I tip $5. If I don't like my hair that much or I'm on a low on funds, only $3. I don't tip shampoo girls.

If I really don't have enough money to tip, I probably won't be at the salon. On the rare occasions I get my hair braided, I tip the stylist if she is someone I know, but I don't tip when I go to those expensive African shops where they charge a grip. You shouldn't feel obligated, IMO.

If I had to tip I'd tip shampoor girls.
Especially if the stylist is an owner fuhgettabatit!
Maybe that's why they use to fry my hair :ohwell:

Yes, I always tip my stylist. I've been going to the same person for about 1.5 years and I'm very happy with her service. I tip her $10 for a touchup and $5 for wash and set. I'll also give her a card at Xmas with money as well. I also tip the shampoo girl as well.

The only time I didn't tip was when I went to braiding place down in VA. I had gone to them a couple of times and they were just rude. They would order food and never ask the customers if they wanted to order anything after sitting in the chair for 312.56 hours and they all had nasty attitudes.

I've never been to a salon where they have a seperate shampoo person. The person that styles my hair has always been the one to wash, cut, condition, and style. I usually do leave a tip and sometimes I am mad about it because I feel forced. Like when I hand them the money and wait for the change and they just keep it. I didn't volunteer that tip.:perplexed

Here are my tipping rules.. I go weekly..
I only tip the assistant.. Me coming up in here every week paying $55 is tip enough. I mean if I went less frequently maybe... but I feel that their tip is already baked into the prices.. it's an economic downturn out here.

Yes, I always tip my stylist. I've been going to the same person for about 1.5 years and I'm very happy with her service. I tip her $10 for a touchup and $5 for wash and set. I'll also give her a card at Xmas with money as well. I also tip the shampoo girl as well.

The only time I didn't tip was when I went to braiding place down in VA. I had gone to them a couple of times and they were just rude. They would order food and never ask the customers if they wanted to order anything after sitting in the chair for 312.56 hours and they all had nasty attitudes.

Why is it a lot of braiding places have braiders who are rude? Could it just be like a culture thing? My braider is my husband's cousin. She is very nice, but she does hair out of her house. She does complain about me having a big head, lol and I feel sorry for her when she braids my hair because she has a lot of surface area to cover and because I'm family she don't charge me full price. I tip her.

I always tip whether the stylist is the owner or not because just because they are the owner, they still have expenses just like everyone else. I tip around $5-10 dollars. If they do an excellent job, then I may tip $20.00 dollars if I have the funds. It just depends. I always try to tip because if I can tip a waitress bringing me my food, then I tip someone that is taking care of my hair needs and making my hair look healthy. I think it is fair. If you all were in the industry, you would want someone to tip you too.

I tip my hairdresser, I been dealing with her for awhile. She is good to my hair. However I don't go every week. So its easier to give a tip.

I hate when its multiple people, b/c then I feel like I have to tip everybody something.

Yeah, back when my stylist worked at a predominately white salon, three people touched my head: the shampoo girl, a separate woman to massage my scalp, and then my stylist.

Part of the reason I don't feel bad about tipping my stylist (who's also the owner) is because she always talked about opening that shop and she kept her prices reasonable, does a great job with my hair, uses quality products, never tries to sell me stuff, and will get me in and out in under a hour. I tip her shampoo girl because I know the girl is going through college and she's very attentive.

Why is it a lot of braiding places have braiders who are rude? Could it just be like a culture thing? My braider is my husband's cousin. She is very nice, but she does hair out of her house. She does complain about me having a big head, lol and I feel sorry for her when she braids my hair because she has a lot of surface area to cover and because I'm family she don't charge me full price. I tip her.

I got a big head too. I guess if I had to sit there and braid hair all day long, I'd probably be cranky too...:grin: These women were beyond cranky tho....they lacked basic manners. Never once did I hear them ask anyone if they had to use the bathroom or wanted a break.

I only go to the salon for a touch-up, I usually tip her $5. Last time I didn't tip her because at one point she paused in the middle of applying my relaxer to go outside to argue with someone.

Here are my tipping rules.. I go weekly..
I only tip the assistant.. Me coming up in here every week paying $55 is tip enough. I mean if I went less frequently maybe... but I feel that their tip is already baked into the prices.. it's an economic downturn out here.

That's why I don't understand tipping an owner who does it all...

That's why I don't understand tipping an owner who does it all...

A gratuity is extra...a bonus. I don't consider a tip included in anything unless explicitly stated. If I'm going to give extra to someone the owner who does it all will be the FIRST person who should get it, IMO. They're the person assuming all the financial risk of opening a shop, taking out loans, and they're in the shop along with the assistants doing work. Starting and maintaining a business is hard work and many of them fail.

And like someone said earlier...if we can give a tip to a waitress, then we can certainly give a tip to someone who is improving the health of hair and/or appearance.

Plus let's not forget that people tend to do a little extra if they know you're a regular and decent tipper. :grin:

If she does it in her home then No.

At a salon, it would depend if I like it or not. I don’t tip a bad job, that will encourage her to be carefree the next time around

Yes between $15 and $20 or 15%. occasionally I might have a different person wash my hair and so that person will get $3.00. I go to a predominantly white salon in a yuppie town.

I would never go to a place where i was so dissatisfied with the service, that I felt the person did not deserve a tip. That happened once (she butchered my hair) and so she got nada nor did I ever return.

when I am back home in London, I do not tip. It is just not customary... thank goodness

No, my last couple of stylist were the owners. I used my most recent stylist for years and never tipped. If she worked out of a shop (not the owner) I'd tip.

I tip at the Dominican Salon, but only like $2 - $3 per person since like 3 people do my hair (wash, rollerset, blowout). My last roller/blowout was $17.

Although I did not tip, my former stylist (retired and moved out of state) would always give me free product (plus Christmas gifts) and she even opened the shop on Sundays/Mondays (normally closed) to do my fusion install - $500. I have been in her chair at 4 a.m. before a holiday weekend getting a sew-in ($200) to make sure I looked great for my trip. We became good friends and still keep in touch. We actually never discussed her views on tipping.

Tipping a waitress is not the same as tipping a salon owner. A waitress works for the restaurant just like the shampoo person or rollersetter works for the salon. Waitstaff are paid BELOW minimum wage so the tips are part of their salary. Tips are expected at restaurants just as most will agree that you tip the shampoo person at a salon although the owner is your stylist.

I am not against tipping but have actually had business owners refuse a tip. I was shocked the first time it happened and the second but now I just keep my cash.

Last edited:
2 of them I pay the salon (I tip) and 2 of them I pay personally (no tip). If the price is really, really high, I don't tip at all.

I didn't start tipping until I lived on my own. I wasn't taught that I had to tip a stylist (thanks cheap mom). I tip the minimum (15%) when the service is bad.

How do ya'll handle someone keeping your change before you can tip?
I wish somebody would. My money is my money and I determine who gets what. If I had someone who did that, I would ask for my change and they would get NOTHING for assuming.

I wish somebody would. My money is my money and I determine who gets what. If I had someone who did that, I would ask for my change and they would get NOTHING for assuming.

You wouldn't feel akward and would you feel you can go back?

As an owner/stylist I don't expect tips. If you want to that's extra. I consider tips to be a "thank you and you did a great job on my hair, I like it and I will be back" sort of thing. That's the message I get when I am tipped especially when I get 30% tips or more.

I don't think that just because someone is the owner of a salon that they should be left out of the tipping pool. Owner work just as hard or sometimes even harder as the regular stylist and have more expenses on top of that.

It's not something you are supposed to do but it is a personal courtesy. I don't treat anyone any different just because they don't tip. The price of the services is what pays the bills not the tips. The tips are really just at little extra you can use to pay for lunch or things like that.

The clients of mine who do tip will also get those little perks that others won't. It's like a you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours kind of thing. I have been know to give away free product, free trims, free spot relaxers, free spot color, free shampoos etc to my clients.

I still treat everyone fair and friendly regardless of whether they tip or not.

I always tip because I don't go that often and she does a good job, the price varies sometimes but it's better than nothing.

Back