Do you tip your stylist?

Do you tip your stylist?

• I tip at each visit, no matter what.

Votes: 112 60.9%
  • I tip only when my hair was done well.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I tip only when a lot of time and energy is put in.

Votes: 10 5.4%
  • I only tip when I have cash.

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • I never tip.

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 10 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mist0898

I go to a dominican salon and i always have the same one person blow my roots and style my hair,so i tip her the most.But i very rarely have the same person wash and rollerset my hair so when they are two seperate people i will give the person who washed my hair $2 but i wont give any to the one who just rolled it real fast.But i give $3 when the same one washes and rolls my hair.And depending on how muxh work the stylist does i will tip her from $3-$5.

Fine 4s

In the personal service industry I think folks should give their best at all times. That is how they stay in business tip or no tip. As someone pointed out, the price you pay IS for the service, no?

*thinking about this more*

Maybe the stylist that receives a tip is more likely to give you tips, advice etc. but luckily I come here for the extras. I don't need an extra inch cut off, I don't need an extra wash and all my extra info and could come and get it for $5 and get the BEST info :grin:...oh wait, it went up right?

Makenzie

Sometimes I tip, sometimes I don't. Yes they are providing a service, but I am already paying them for it!

alopeciagrl

I picked other this is why. I do tip my stylist SOMETIMES if I have money and really like my hair. However since she owns the salon I don't feel tipping is really necessary. I do feel the need to tip the shampoo girl a few bucks no more than $5.

a_shoe_6307

I tip at least $10, but only for exceptional service. I'm not going to tip someone who has messed up my hair or who does a bad job just for the sake of tipping. Tipping should not be mandatory when you are not happy, let alone if someone does something to cause damage to your hair.

MrsHdrLe

I tip or at least tell her I'll get her next time (and do!) if I'm a little short. But I only see her every three months or so for a dc/protien trmt. so I usually have figured her tip into my visit.
What is customatry to tip when you're paying close to $100 for a treatment? I think 20% is a lot, but am I wrong. (she charges $55-$65 and I usually give her an even $75, so I figure it evens out for the $55 jobs)

fattyfatfat

I tip the shampoo girl because I LOVE the way she washes my hair. She takes her time and gives me the best scalp massages. I tip the other ladies if I have it or if I like the way my hair looks.

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
Since I only go the salon to get my touchup, I tip my stylist $20.00 each time. She takes her time dealing with my massive ng and she's the one that introduced my hair to Affirm. Plus, I never have to wait and always get V.I.P

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
:confused: i never tip:ohwell:
Why should I tip? :confused: I only tip in restaurants and taxi cabs and luggage people at the hotel. Does anyone know how much stylists make? The only reason I tip the above mentioned people is becuase I know how much money they actually make. I have a friend that tips all the time. Why do they need "tips"? when Im paying $35-65 a pop with each visit. Please educate me. I'm not trying to be funny.

I'm with you on that. When I used to go to a stylist I never tipped either. Paying $70 for a relaxer was enough for me. :ohwell:

I feel the same way. But i guess it's my location too. I have never been to a salon where different people did the different steps. My stylist works alone. I call her cell and make appts/ she doesn't have a receptionist/shampoo girl/relaxer girl/blowdry girl, she doesn't advertise etc. But i live in a small town. I guess it would be different if it were a big city.

Every now and then she may have a young girl shampoo you but that's it and my stylist pays her.

bimtheduck

I usually tip like $10 and during Christmas I'll tip more. If the service is really bad I won't tip, that doesn't happen very often but once the stylst kept me waiting for over an hour and never acknowledged me or apologized for being backed up so I just didn't tip.

Also Iv'e read in etiquette blogs/books/newspaper articles that if the stlst is the owner of the salon you don't have to tip or if the stylist sets their own prices you don't have to tip.

Last edited:

MissBCurly

I tip based on how the service was, what I asked for the time spent waiting and if my overall visit was good-great..so no I do not always tips and I dont tip for certain services especially the overly expensive ones. like if I go for a wash and trim no I dont tip.

eta: I never tip when I get a weave when I exceed $200 I dont tip.

simplie_lovable

Tipping depends on my overall experience at the salon. If the stylist was nice/ my hair came out beautifully then I'll tip her. If I have to wait for more than 1 hr (which is the usual at the Dominicans), and the stylist is yanking on my hair (this happened before) best believe that I won't give any extra money then what i was suppose to pay.

FindingMe

i always tip whether it's hair, nails, massage, facial whatever. If I didn't care for the service, I will tip btw 7-10%. If I really liked, somewhere btw 15-20%. :yep:

Brees_hair

I go every week, so if I don't have enough or any cash they know I got them the following week. I tip extra when there is a special occassion and they HOOK my hair up.

beans4reezy

If I have extra cash on hand, I tip...if I don't, I don't. I don't go out of my way to tip...especially when I am paying like $150 for techincally an hour and a half of work.

pri

I always tip...and the only exception is if service wasn't good at all I don't and never return.

Last edited:

Sonye93

Well it's my mom's money, so I have no say on who it goes to. plus one day I did tip my stylist, because she honored my every wish and I got in BIG TROUBLE!! I was saying it was only 3 dollars, but then noticed where my mom was coming from. I can't spend what it not mine......lesson learned.

So NO I don't tip my stylist.

Didn't I just pay them ABOVE the cost of the products??..What am I paying for if I'm STILL tipping??? Didn't I just pay for the SERVICE?? I mean really. Maybe I'm rude, but what is the price for???...We just exchanged goods and services...Why aren't they tipping me then?? I just sat and now I'm going to model their work for the world.

chicitygirl

Hmm, this is interesting to read. I only go to the salon for relaxers and it's $90 for a touchup. Which I think is ridiculously overpriced anyway. But I've always tipped my stylist $10 and the shampoo girl $5. Lately, they've been taking forever and having me sit up in the shop for anywhere from 3-4 hours getting a simple relaxer and styling. I've not been tipping when that happens because I feel that if I have to make an appointment, they need to provide their services in a timely manner. I'm not paying over $100 for people to take up my whole Saturday. My old stylist was a family friend and owned her own shop and I still tipped her because she did a good job and got me in and out. My new stylist is considered a "senior stylist" at the salon. I wonder if the 'no tipping to owners' rule applies for senior stylists?

I tip only when my hair was done well. If it hasn't been, I don't tip and I don't go back, either.

I went to a stylist once who chattered away while doing my hair (after having me wait 20 minutes for my appt), so much so that she actually dropped a dollop of hair relaxer into my eye.

Think I tipped her? Guess again.

I never went back to her, either.

Didn't I just pay them ABOVE the cost of the products??..What am I paying for if I'm STILL tipping??? Didn't I just pay for the SERVICE?? I mean really. Maybe I'm rude, but what is the price for???...We just exchanged goods and services...Why aren't they tipping me then?? I just sat and now I'm going to model their work for the world.

I actually agree with this and completely understand. It is interesting - you exchange goods and services and then they also want a tip. When you remove cultural mores from the equation, it is a bit odd when you really stop and think about it. I wouldn't give my landlord a tip; nor would I tip the cable guy.

Last edited:
This is a good question. When I went by myself as a teen I always felt obligated to tip, thinking if I went back there another day they'd remember I didn't tip and !@#$ my hair up!

glamchick84

yea i'm not a fan of tipping!!! i thought the high as labour price included the tip. if i do tip, its only 5 dollars.

tocktick

A mobile stylist comes to do my braids. No, I do not tip her. In fact, I don't think it's something she has an expectation of.