Do You Wear Your Hair Out Often/All the time? Let's share REGIMENS!

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
So I hear a lot of folks who talk about how they retain well by just keeping healthy hair practices up (low manipulation, regular DC's, etc.) and still wear their hair out often/most of the time.

Well, let's hear about it! Please answer the following questions and give any other info you have.

How often do you wash?
What products do you use?
How do you style your hair?
How much do you retain/How do you know that you retain well? pics, etc.

Thanks in advance!

How often do you wash? Once a week
What products do you use? Naked Moisturising Sulphate/Paraben free Shampoo, 2 min Aphogee treatment followed by Aussie Moist 3 min Miracle. I then use Giovanni Direct followed by any creamy moisturiser, then use Dax to seal.
How do you style your hair? For the past week i have been wearing braidouts. I just put my hair into a large braids and tie it down for the night. I do this every night and undo in the morning but after the second or third night i will spray each section with water/Aloe juice mix, re-seal with Dax and braid.
How much do you retain/How do you know that you retain well? pics, etc. I loose way less hair doing braid outs. My hair is fully moisturised and is braided up at night, my ends are not dry and crunchy and i get to wear my hair out.
I cut out all heat a couple of months ago and since then i barely see any broken hairs anymore. I don't have a pic of my braidout but will post one soon.

How often do you wash? Once a week
What products do you use? vatika oil to prepoo, ORS aloe shampoo, silicon mix conditioner, ACV mixed with water as my final rinse, kinky curly knot today for leave in, castor oil to seal, then LA looks sport gel.
How do you style your hair? The majority of the time I do braidouts. I put my hair in about 16-20 braids and let it air dry. When its 100% dry I take out the braids and wear it for a week. All I have to do at night is put it in a bun and put on a satin bonnet. I don't have to rebraid until my next wash.
How much do you retain/How do you know that you retain well? I flat iron a few times a year and I notice that my hair retains quite a bit of length. I believe that keeping my hair in a stretched state has helped with retention tremendously. (I wash in braids, then do a braidout) My hair is hardly tangled using this technique and my hair stays detangled throughout the week because its in a braidout vs a wash n go which is prone to knoting for my hair type.

How often do you wash? Once a week, but sometimes I will do a co-wash before the 1 week mark.

What products do you use? A myriad of products depending on the style. I use Miss Jessie's Shampoo and coniditoner and their curly pudding for twist outs. But daily moisture I am using the Ultra Black Hair Care spray mist, but will use the Kimmaytune method once I take my hair out of braids. Sprays work best for braids or weaves to get moisture to your real hair. I'm at BSL right now and would love to retain and see 6 inches in the next year.

How do you style your hair? I have a rotation: braids or weaves for 6 to 8 weeks. Take it down and use absolutely no heat styles for 3 weeks. Then get it professionally flat ironed and back to my protective style.

How much do you retain/How do you know that you retain well? pics, etc. Not sure what this means exactly. I definitely have been able ot retain length and have been trimming far less. I've been working on retaining fullness by doing a better/gentler job with detangling.

Last edited:
How often do you wash?

Thanks in advance!

-Wash when its needs it...weekly to every two weeks at most..

-Use products listed in sig, not very strict about a reggie, dont even deep condition most of the time, blow it out prior to styling 90% of the time

-Different styles: 2strand bantu knot out is my fav, braidouts on flexis, ironed & pin curled, different buns with hair sticks, whatever's clever..Usually do braids for 2 months out of the year to give myself a styling break, its out to play the other 10months.

-I am aware I am retaining b/c my hair was shaved to about an inch, with a 3" bang when I started growing it out just about 2yrs ago, now it has reached bra-strap.

Start-2009:
21no47n.jpg

Few months ago/2011:
23kugk.jpg

How often do you wash? Usually everyday sometimes every two days.

What products do you use? A variety, no brand specific. If it smells good and looks good I'll use it.

How do you style your hair? 99% of the time I wash, brush, put some Dove anti frizz serum in (smells so good) and leave it to air dry.

How much do you retain/How do you know that you retain well? pics, etc. Don't know really but that's how I used to do my hair before I started flat ironing and I was waist length from childhood. I cut it short in the beginning of June and have trimmed it since then but there is no difference I believe.

June 1 this year
SAM_0793-1-2.jpg

Tonight
019-1.jpg

How often do you wash? 1x per week.
What products do you use? Poo: Shea Moisture Yucca and Baobab, Conditioner: varies, Leave-in: KCKT, styler: KCCC, Sealant: unrefined shea butter
How do you style your hair? On wash day, set into 16 twists and allow to air dry. Once dry, twistout. Every night retwist into about 4 loose twists and wrap with scarf. Take down and fluff in the morning. I also finger detangle only. A comb has not touched my hair (I only use one to switch up my part) since Oct 2009.
How much do you retain/How do you know that you retain well? pics, etc. See pics. 1st is from Dec 2010, 2nd from May 2011

Attachments

• 100_0931ed.jpg
    100_0931ed.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_1166-1.jpg
    100_1166-1.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
How often do you wash?
Once per week.

I wash with Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo. I condition with AOHSR under the steamer every week. Afterwards, I apply Kimmaytube Leave in (using GDLI as my base) and braid my hair to airdry.

I use Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and African Pride/Royale? braid spray to set my braidouts. I use the KYT leave in for the initial braidout after the wash, then I use the CES and braid spray for two consecutive nights for my braidouts. After that, I only use the braid spray for my braidouts until the next wash.

The pic in the pink was taken June 2011. The pic in the white was taken Dec 2010. My hair had grown 3.5 inches and I got a 1 inch trim. Also, my had been curled in the pink, but it was wrapped in the other pic

Attachments

• P6170434a-th.jpg
    P6170434a-th.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 33
  • PC030808CopyCopy-th.jpg
    PC030808CopyCopy-th.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 211
How often do you wash? Once a week or every 7-10 days
What products do you use? I wash with Giovanni's Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo. I then use Giovanni direct leave in, Qhemets AOHC, then seal with blue magic grease.
How do you style your hair? I wear twistouts or braidouts. Mostly twistouts though.
How much do you retain/How do you know that you retain well? pics, etc. I think I retain quite well. I don't use combs until wash day, but when I twist nightly I lose about 8-10 strands. That could be shed hair though. Idk.

When I bc'd April of 2010

panbc2-2.jpg

My hair now.

7afcb672-1.jpg

9929584e.jpg

ca5bf222.jpg

picture.php

It's a lil past shoulder length when stretched.

How often do you wash? I wash every week with an low poo, ACV mix

What products do you use? YTCucumbers condish, EQP DPR11, coconut oil, TW pt mist bodifier, Eco Styler, ORS twist & loc gel and not much else. I try not to overload my hair with products and stick with what I know works.

How do you style your hair? most times I wear a twist out for the full week. I get bored with buns and don't think they look good on my big head.

How much do you retain/How do you know that you retain well? pics, etc. Although I don't measure in inches I think I retain just about all of my length. Judging from my photo journal.

I'm really enjoying the replies.
I guess I should answer my own questions.

-I wash/DC typically once a week. sometimes, if I'm really sweaty, I'll do a midweek cowash.

-I use Aussie products (shampoo, condish, 3 min. miracle DC). I also use Silk Elements DC for intense moisture, and Aphogee 2 min for protein. styling: Herbal Essences LTR (regular condish as leave-in), eco styler gel, elasta qp foam wrap, ors edge control.

-I typically do a braid n curl. about 7 braids, with flexirods (end papers) on the ends. if i feel fancy, i'll do a full flexirod set. these styles last a full week, with just me throwing my hair up in a puff in at night.

-Retaining: I'm pretty sure I can retain all my length if I stick to this basic routine, since I've done length checks that confirm this. the problem comes in when i start messing with my hair too much.
How do you guys keep your routines low-mani? I'm so tempted to constantly restyle, and that's what effs with my retention.

Back