Does a well moisturized puff cause breakage as well?

Harina

I've always heard on this board that puffs are breakage prone. But I imagine if you have a well moisturized one, there will be little to no breakage. I wear puffs sometimes and I've had breakage before, but that's because my hair wasn't well moisturized. I've been upping my moisture game and the puffs have been softer. Not as soft as I want it to be but softer. I understand that part of the reason why puffs are breakage prone is because the strands shrink and tend to wrap around themselves, as well as the ends being exposed, but I've noticed that when the hair is better moisturized, it doesn't shrink as much therefore less likely to wrap around itself and break.

Or do some think puffs will cause breakage no matter what?

I'd like to know the answer to this as well since I'm preparing for the BC and a puff may be one of my signature hairstyles when I go to college. :yep:

I still see breakage even if my hair is well moisturized. It breaks less when it is moisturized vs. not well moisturized, but it breaks. Hopefully someone can come give tips on how to avoid breakage because a puff is one of my favorite styles.

honestly, even if you have the right moisture/protein balance, a puff can still break. thats why i never wore puffs unless they were clip-ons. <shrugs)

I don't know...my hair was in the best condition ever in terms of moisture & protein, and constant puffing still caused breakage in some areas for me. I think the breakage is purely a physical thing -- hair in perfect condition will still snap if you put enough force on it. Hair isn't ever indestructable.
I was doing it everyday, though, so if you aren't doing it as often it shouldn't be a problem. I loved my puffs too :perplexed

Last edited:
i never get breakage from my puffs and i wear them on the regular. at least 3 times a week. my bands are never tight and my hair is always moisture, protein balanced.
also i think it has much to do with whether or not you do your puffs on wet hair. i do mine on damp, almost dry hair.

For those are saying that you did get breakage from the puffs, did you get any breakage from any other styles as well? Or was it just the puffs?

Chebaby, can I have your regimen, please!!!

Black cardinal, what force exactly are you talking about it? Do you mean the pulling it back with a scarf or teasing the puff. I don't ever really fluff out or comb the puff, I just simply pull it back.

Wearing my hair shrunken=breakage for me, but some people can do it w/o a problem. I noticed that it was an issue when my hair got to be around APL.
I get a puff like look w/a twist out in a ponytail (see pic below) or hair that is completely stretched and picked out like in my avi. For the pic in my avi I set my hair on rollers to keep it stretched. Now for me the issue really becomes my edges and having to brush daily that is a problem.

Attachments

• twistoutpony.jpg
    twistoutpony.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 33
I didn't tease/fluff the hair--for me it was pulling it back that was too much stress on my hair. I did mine on wet/damp hair, so maybe that was it. Sometimes I would do the second-day puff where I just sprayed with water and re-puffed instead of doing a full co-wash. I'm kind of particular about my hair styles, though. It looked the best when I did it fresh every day, but I guess it had negative effects over time.

Back in the day I did puffs after a co-wash and sometimes did them on dry hair. Now I'm wearing a braid out puff everyday pulled back with a doubled up stretched out headband. Never noticed any breakage then and so far I'm not seeing any damage now either.

I don't wear puffs as much as I use to, but I do wear a hair band that is loose, so I don't have any breakage from that.

I've worn a daily puff for the past few weeks. I'm 3 months post BC and 11 months post relaxer, so the only styles I wear right now are a headband and a puff. I use either the cuff of a knee high or a double goody band to secure it. I do secure it on wet hair on wash day and then I take it loose long enough to moisturize and seal my hair nightly, then put my hair back into the puff, put on a scarf and a bonnet. I haven't noticed any breakage yet which I'm glad for, because this will probably continue to be my style until my hair gets a bit longer.

oh i didnt know puffs caused breakage..that is my signature style..i wear then about 2-3 days out the month due to ps styles but i plan to wear them more during the summer. the only thing i got from puffs were knots.

when i do puffs, the night before my hair is plaited up(stretched) i just take them loose and fluff up into a puff with a nylon stocking

I wear an afro puff every single day and I went from constant breakage in January (before I ran across LHCF) to hardly any breakage at all by the end of February (just a tiny bit of natural shedding every now and then.) I keep my hair well moisturized and I don't play in it. I usually make mine from damp hair from baggying from the night before. So far I haven't had any problems.

I haven't experienced any breakage from wearing my puff, but I treat mine the same as I did my bun when I was transitioning.

I usually do a puff after wearing my hair loose a few days. I will just mist my hair enough to make it flexible and easier to manipulate, then I start smoothing with my hands to get my hair into puff shape so I won't have to use so much tension.

I use a very wide clothe band or strip of cloth. once my edges are sleek I set them with a scarf. At night I wrap the scarf around the top/edges leaving the puff out and sleep on a satin pullowcase. In the morning I mist it, shake and go. I take it down every 3 days or so and massage my scalp, but for the most part once it's in the puff I just leave it alone.

For those are saying that you did get breakage from the puffs, did you get any breakage from any other styles as well? Or was it just the puffs?

Chebaby, can I have your regimen, please!!!

Black cardinal, what force exactly are you talking about it? Do you mean the pulling it back with a scarf or teasing the puff. I don't ever really fluff out or comb the puff, I just simply pull it back.
what i do for puffs is co wash, on soaking wet hair i put in my leave in(usually kbb hair milk) and shea butter, wrap my hair in a micro fiber towel and leave it there for 15 minutes or more, then i take it off, shake for fullness, and double up a goody headband to make a puff. thats it. also before i use a headband i stretch it out alot so it can never be too tight.

Back