Does any body have hair that does not "take" to relaxers?

InsertCleverNameHere

Does any body have hair that does not \"take\" to relaxers?

Just curious. Relaxers tend to not take on my head. My curl pattern will be exactly the same, except for a two inch section of my head in the front that is prolly type 4a (this part always gets straight AND straight within minimal time)...the rest of my hair is looser and won't relax at all. In fact, it often just made my hair dryer without effecting the curl. My sister's hair is the same way.

Does anybody else have hair that does this?

Re: Does any body have hair that does not \"take\" to relaxers?

I no longer put relaxers in my hair, but I feel you....
front would get straight and the rest would be a mess.
I would have to press and flat iron it to get it straight.
I figured I didn't need to relaxe it if it didn't want to get right....

I'm natural now too...there is really no point. I flat ironed my hair straight while relaxing and I still flat iron my hair straight now!!!!

I just went to your site...
haha.......
nice butt........

I have an aunt whose hair no longer gets straight with a relaxer. She has been using Lekair Cholesterol relaxer for years. It used to get straight, but now she leaves it on for 30-40 minutes /images/graemlins/ill.gif and her hair looks texturized. She's afraid to switch relaxers and doesn't trust hair stylists.

Her daughter has never been able to straighten her hair. She used to get relaxers and within a month her hair looked 100% natural again. /images/graemlins/confused.gif She now keeps her hair texturized and very short (think: Jada Pinkett several years ago) because she applies the chemicals to her whole head every 3-4 weeks.

Strange. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif No one knows why their hair is so resistant to chemicals...

My mom hair relaxes fine...
It looks like a wig....
I pull it once a week to make sure......

I forgot where I got this from but it makes sense for some people and not all.

Why some hair will not relax:

Basically, this is due to the patron's body chemistry. If your patron is on certain medications or consumes large quantities of acid-laden foods or drinks such as lemon, lime, orange juice, carbonated soft drinks or is experiencing a nervous condition or in various stages of pregnancy, these and other conditions can lower normal body pH from 5.5 to approximately 3.5. This means that any scalp secretions, perspiration or sebum will be at the same lower pH. This, plus heavy hair dressings, coat the lower hair shaft causing a pre-neutralizing effect on the hair prior to contact with the relaxer. Combing a relaxer cream with a pH of 12 to 13 with sufficient scalp secretions at a pH of 3.5 to 4.0 may result in a pH of 8.5 or less. This pH is generally too low to relax hair.

Yep, I'm officially texturized right now--but even when I was what I considered relaxed--my hair always kept some curl/wave to it. Stylists in the past told me that I must have a really strong cuticle...

[ QUOTE ]
I just went to your site...
haha.......
nice butt........

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanx, lol!

The funny thing is the individual strands of my hair are sooooo fine, so I suspect it does have to do with something chemically within my body.

I'm POSITIVE that it has to do with the body's chemistry. When I was pregnant, I got a relaxer and it didn't take. Which is why there will be no problem for me to continue on this transition road I'm on through next year. I won't even be tempted because I already KNOW that it's a waste of time.

[ QUOTE ]

Her daughter has never been able to straighten her hair. She used to get relaxers and within a month her hair looked 100% natural again. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

This was me. I could take a hot bath two days after getting a relaxer and my hair would just poof out like it had nothing in it!

I got it super-straight in those first two weeks after a touchup, but after that, it was just like I had a press (in terms of how straight it would stay).

So what does this mean, really? I mean, I just put a texturizer in my hair and it really didn't do much; the shrinkage is lessened a bit, but that is it. Does this mean that basically when people's hair won't relax that there is really no need to transition because there is really nothing from which to transition? For example, I could never re-texturize and it would all blend in.

There really is no need to transition IMO. Eventually you will prolly cut off the "processed" hair anyway, but there isn't a rush. Now that I think about it, this is prolly why "transitioning" has never been a big deal to me.

One thing I have wondered however, is how do you classify yourself after you have attempted to process and your hair is exactly the same as it was. It doesn't seem fair to classify as natural but it doesn't seem right to classify as texturized or relaxed either.

RealLuv,

That's a good question ... something I've been wondering about, too. I don't know what to call myself anymore, since a chemical has been applied, though it didn't change the appearance of my hair. My hair still looks and acts totally natural ...

I have never heard of anyone not being able to relax their hair at all. My first assumption for those with problems relaxing would be to make sure that you don't base the newgrowth, next increase the strength and time of application of the relaxer.

If that doesn't help and you've tried "super" strength and even used lye relaxers, then I would suggest just enjoying your natural hair. HTH

Back