Does any naturals have trouble flat ironing their hair?

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I wanted to try a strait style instead of a curly one and I can't find a flat iron that will work on my hair. I have a maxiglide, but I don't think my hair is long enough to use it. :lol: Does any other natural have the same difficulty in flat ironing their hair as I do? If you have overcome it, what's the flat iron do you use? Do you think I should get a straitening comb instead? Any suggestions? :confused:

ajargon02

I have straighten my hair once really straight. I went to a salon and the stylist did it for me. It was bone straight, very light. Looked like I had a perm. I had no dmg at all. but then again, I don't straighten my hair often at all. Mabye once a year if even that. My hair had no issue getting straight at all. It scared me. I don't know what I would do w/ out my napps

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
You need a really good flat iron, 1 inch in width or less. Invest in a good flat iron. I personally love the sedu from folica.com

ArrrBeee

I tried to straighten my hair last week. It was semi-straight for about 15 minutes. The next morning after my bath, I had a fro.

This was done with a cheap flat iron. I will be trying out little sis' Sedu over the holidays.

ayoung

I am scared of the comb--I will never get my natural hair done w/ a straightening comb again--those mugs get TOO hot.

I just got my maxiglide and LOVE it. Those little teeth really make a diff. on my hair--get my hair straight to the very end--just like it claims--doesn't just flaten my puffy ends.

cheri_flava74

Hello everyone. When I was natural, these are the steps that I take to flatiron my hair:

1. Shampoo and Condition
2. Apply leavin and serum
3. Detangle and section hair with clips or braids (this will make your blowdrying time quicker and smoother). Make as many or as little sections as you like.
4. Airdry 70 percent (if I am rushing I would use a the warm setting on my blowdryer or sit under warm dryer until my hair was 70 percent dry)
5. Add straightening balm (or whatever product you would like to use) by either unclipping each section and adding the balm or adding it to each section as you blowdry)
6. Blow Dry with Denman Brush (my hair would be pretty straight after this)
****Always go back through your hair, using your hands as a comb or a wide tooth bone comb, with your blowdryer on cool. This will cool your hair, seal your cuticles, and allow you to feel if any damp parts are left. This will also help you to get rid of any sweating that you may have done while blowdrying especially in the summer.****
7. Add more serum to ends and thermal spray (you can add whatever product you choose just make sure it is light)
8. Flatiron in small thin sections (CHI Flat Iron, although I did use a cheaper flatiron before I got my chi and it worked fine) ****Make sure your hair is cool before you comb through it to allow your hair to set especially if you are adding a slight bend to your hair as you flatiron. If you want to have more body, you can do a modified doobie---after you flatiron, use the biggest curling iron you can find for your length, curl your hair and clip each curl, allow curls to cool (very important in order to set the curl), take out clips and wrap, sit under a warm dryer for about 5 to 10 minutes--optional, and comb out****

When my hair was pressed I would NEVER get in the shower or tub with a shower cap because the plastic traps moisture and made me sweat in my head. I would wrap my hair in my regular silk scarf and the a cotton scarf over it to protect my hair. I also made sure to take cool showers instead of my normal hot ones

Pressing Combs are a no no for me but I love flatirons.

I sometimes use these same steps when I am alot weeks post relaxer and my newgrowth just want allow my wraps and rollersets to do right.

I know you may be nervous about heat damage but anything can damage our hair. From reading many post a lot of ladies say that airdrying, wrapping, rollersets, braidouts, etc was causing damage and breakage and to me these all would be considered healthier styling options. My theory is it is not what you do to style your hair it is what you to protect your hair as you style. As long as you as you treat (treatment differs from person to person) your hair well your hair will be and remain healthy.

shellzfoshizzle

cheri_flava74 said:
Hello everyone. When I was natural, these are the steps that I take to flatiron my hair:

1. Shampoo and Condition
3. Detangle and section hair with clips or braids (this will make your blowdrying time quicker and smoother). Make as many or as little sections as you like.
4. Airdry 70 percent (if I am rushing I would use a the warm setting on my blowdryer or sit under warm dryer until my hair was 70 percent dry)
5. Add straightening balm (or whatever product you would like to use) by either unclipping each section and adding the balm or adding it to each section as you blowdry)
****Always go back through your hair, using your hands as a comb or a wide tooth bone comb, with your blowdryer on cool. This will cool your hair, seal your cuticles, and allow you to feel if any damp parts are left. This will also help you to get rid of any sweating that you may have done while blowdrying especially in the summer.****
7. Add more serum to ends and thermal spray (you can add whatever product you choose just make sure it is light)
8. Flatiron in small thin sections (CHI Flat Iron, although I did use a cheaper flatiron before I got my chi and it worked fine) ****Make sure your hair is cool before you comb through it to allow your hair to set especially if you are adding a slight bend to your hair as you flatiron. If you want to have more body, you can do a modified doobie---after you flatiron, use the biggest curling iron you can find for your length, curl your hair and clip each curl, allow curls to cool (very important in order to set the curl), take out clips and wrap, sit under a warm dryer for about 5 to 10 minutes--optional, and comb out****

When my hair was pressed I would NEVER get in the shower or tub with a shower cap because the plastic traps moisture and made me sweat in my head. I would wrap my hair in my regular silk scarf and the a cotton scarf over it to protect my hair. I also made sure to take cool showers instead of my normal hot ones

Sounds like a good way to do it!

so1913

Back in February, I used a Ceramic Tools 1" flat iron and ION Flat Iron Protectant Spray from Sally's and had good results. (pic in my Feb album).

kristina

no problem getting my hair bone strait but I still need to work on making it swing like it does with a hard press. cosigning on making sure your hairand scalp is cool but totally dry- any moisture will lead to it puffing up soon after. I'm not sure how short your hair is but you might was to try a 1 inch iron (I have a sedu) and use a headband (the kind used for puffs) to keep your ironed hair from mixing with your unironed hair.

atl_mulattamami

cheri_flava74 said:

1. Shampoo and Condition

Pressing Combs are a no no for me but I love flatirons.

I sometimes use these same steps when I am alot weeks post relaxer and my newgrowth just want allow my wraps and rollersets to do right.

I know you may be nervous about heat damage but anything can damage our hair. From reading many post a lot of ladies say that airdrying, wrapping, rollersets, braidouts, etc was causing damage and breakage and to me these all would be considered healthier styling options. My theory is it is not what you do to style your hair it is what you to protect your hair as you style. As long as you as you treat (treatment differs from person to person) your hair well your hair will be and remain healthy.

pretty much this is what i do too. except i dont airdry first and i dont use a denman to blowdry. i start from when its dripping wet and then i blowdry with the comb attachment..