Does anyone detangle on dry hair?

Aireen

After washing, conditioning, and air-drying, does anyone proceed to detangle their hair when it's fully dry? Possibly with knots and all? If so, do you use your fingers to try to take out the knots then comb through? My new growth is coming in and I'm heading for another 4 month stretch. I know sometimes for me knots are easy to detangle with my fingers when my hair is dry but those are rather small. Anyway, just trying to see if anyone successfully gets their hair tangle free using this method. Thanks in advance.

iri9109

i dry detangle BEFORE washing while adding oils for a pre-poo, then i wash & then when lightly finger comb while applying my DC & then after i rinse that out i usually dont comb/brush/detangle it until i wash or cowash again.

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
i dry detangle BEFORE washing while adding oils for a pre-poo, then i wash & then when lightly finger comb while applying my DC & then after i rinse that out i usually dont comb/brush/detangle it until i wash or cowash again.

This is what I do

Jewell

With fingers only if it is tangly. If it's been more than 1 wk since I last combed/washed/detangled, then I wet my hair with moisturizing sprays, saturate with oil, then detangle. I usually do that the night before a wash.

Sianna

I've done this, just recently in fact. :look:

Sometimes due to being in a rush, and others just because of flat out laziness, I'll detangle dry hair. I normally don't fully detangle this way but will start the process before a co-wash. Also, I will sometimes use my fingers to work through the more trying knots and kinks.

Thinking about it now, I probably should be a bit more gentle with my hair, I'd probably retain more length that way. :ohwell:

Last edited:

maxineshaw

I saw this headline and said dell nawh. :lol:

But really, I don't. I might lightly separate my hair while its dry with my fingers. that's the closest I get to detangling on dry hair.

An_gell

I do, I cannot stand detangling on my wet hair. It tangles wayyy to much for me, I mean my hair wraps around each other and creates lil knots at the end when I try to untangle the wet hair. So I just wait til its dry then lightly spritz with some greg juice especially my ends and then detangle. My hair strands are really fine so when I add water to them they are just that much more fragile so I have to be extra careful.

faithVA

I will detangle dry hair before I shampoo but not after. I will prepoo with oil and detangle to get out shed hairs. After shampooing I will detangle when its 50 to 70% dry, but not after it is completely dry. But after shampooing, I am parting with my fingers for twists and detangling those small sections as I twist not detangline my entire head.

successful216

I do. I saturate my hair with conditioner and then detangle before I wash my hair. Unlike many, detangling wet hair is not for me..

kittikat24

:yep:I do.
I just make sure I take my time, then after sectioning, I begin to add moisturiser and oil for sealing. I never rush w/ my hair when its dry..especially since I'm at the tail end of transitioning, its a jungle up in heerrree:look: can't be rippin fragile strands...

AlliCat

if my hair is very knotted (ie. just coming out of braids) I have no choice but to detangle on dry hair...or else my hair will get even worse if I wash it

but on a weekly basis I normally only use my wide tooth comb to detangle in the shower (hair saturated with conditioner)

Amoreofcurls

Yes, I finger detangle.....I prepoo my hair with vatika oil, which makes my hair slippery enough to remove shed hair, and easy tangles...

after washing I detangle my damp hair with the TT...

I feel like since our hair gets weaker when wet, people with fine strands should take extra caution using tools on wet hair

Nonie

I do. I saturate my hair with conditioner and then detangle before I wash my hair. Unlike many, detangling wet hair is not for me..

When I saw the heading, before I read the first post, this is what I was going to say. Back in 2008 when I went to bed with loose hair and had to deal with tangles, I used a method I learned from Happily Me which was to apply conditioner to dry hair and finger detangle. It worked very well. So I thought that's what you were asking. Like if you hadn't combed your hair for a week and had it tangled and wanted to detangle...that's how I'd do it.

Now the way your post OP went made me go.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :pullhair: coz I realized that you're talking about ending a wash then detangling. I don't even think that's possible where I'm concerned. I do not entertain knots or tangles or even try to get acquainted with them. Coz if I am about to wet my hair to wash, it will have no tangles and I can bet my bottom dollar I will not get any tangles during the wash or after drying that will need to be dealt with at the end. I make certain of that by keeping it braided throughout the wash, only undoing at each step to comb through the fully detangled hair, then locking it back in braids before going to the next wash step. At the end, I finish with the detangled hair in braids that do not get disturbed until my hair is fully dry, at which time, my stands are parallel and stretched and can even be combed dry, if I wanted to.

longhairluv

Depending on the style I'm wearing my hair I tend to do both detangle dry and/or with conditioner and water. but I never comb dry

I section my hair off in 4 parts two in front and two in the back. I usually detangle with lots of conditioner and water (I need slip) using fingers and a wide tooth comb or a denman brush every now in then.

If I'm wearing twist sets I have to separate and detangle with my fingers when dry or with a conditioner. if I'm gentle and slow when pulling apart while it's unraveling I won't get knots. then go back over with more conditioner and a wide tooth comb and gently comb through if I come across a snag I pull it apart with my fingers.

Fhrizzball

I'm pretty sure Sera detangles dry. Sometimes I lightly dry detangle but I have to add moisturizer and leave in when I do. I only do this method after extended ps so not really the method you're thinking of.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Yes. I apply leave-ins then air dry. Detangle with wide tooth comb followed by tangle teezer.

keepithealthy

Not on my natural hair. I don't even understand how other naturals can detangle on dry natural hair. My hair would just turn into a big ball of fuzz.

silenttullip

I dry detangle BUT before I wash not after...
I do it by smoothing and seperating slowly and gently with fingers only.
Inspired by reading Chicoros book.
It's helped me have less ssks

virtuenow

I detangle on dry hair (stretched). sometimes I do it before I wash, sometimes after. I don't like to manipulate my wet hair b/c I can tell its in a weakened state while its wet and full of water. Plus I hve major shrinkage and "wrap-around" - twirly, coily - "o's" that form knots as I pull thru it while wet. I don't usually add anything--especially not conditioners (which are mostly water) or slippery things. It makes my hair shrink, fuse and stick together. I just don't know how you guys do it. Its like my hair speaks a totally different language than everyone else. I may add a little bit of butter or oil or what have you. My hair is generally well buttered/oiled so I don't really need to add xtra.

Aireen

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I think I'll stick to what I'm doing right now and try some of the tips when my new growth is a little difficult to handle. :yep:

grow

i'm 3 months and 1 week post as of today, and i notice my techniques have had to change as i continue to stretch.

i used to detangle in the shower while my hair was wet and full of conditioner and oils using the wide tooth comb. but then again, that was when i had 1 texture on my head.

now i have at least 2 textures and it's the line of demarcation that is the most fragile.

if i even slightly pull on my hair while it's wet, the line of demarcation between the different textures is where my hair will break.

the only way i have managed to detangle without breakage is to wait until it's dry and well oiled, then i gently open my coils with my fingers.

libertysince05

i dry finger detangle with ojon oil before wash, and then again on air dried hair with giovanni direct leave in and seal with camelia kissi oil.
wet detangling gives me too much breakage.

darlingdiva

I tried once and the brush literally broke in half LOL

Ahh, I remember those days growing up. There were broken Goody brushes all over the house.

I do this, but I also add hemp seed oil.

Yes, I finger detangle.....I prepoo my hair with vatika oil, which makes my hair slippery enough to remove shed hair, and easy tangles...

after washing I detangle my damp hair with the TT...

I feel like since our hair gets weaker when wet, people with fine strands should take extra caution using tools on wet hair

I absolutely agree. I had started detangling my wet hair with a paddle brush while it was loaded with conditioner. Once I noticed that I was getting an excessive amount of breakage from doing this, I promptly stopped.