Does anyone do this?

Aviah

Use a vinegar rinse after a relaxer (before the dc) to get the ph down quickly? I was just reminded of how long the process is without it yesterday when relaxing my friend's hair.

First I would rinse the relaxer out as much as possible, then do a neutralizing shampoo, then rinse that out, do the vinegar rinse and let it sit for a min, then do the shampoo again to check the color. Even after letting it sit its always pure white. I'm sure someone else knows about it...

tnorenberg

Use a vinegar rinse after a relaxer (before the dc) to get the ph down quickly? I was just reminded of how long the process is without it yesterday when relaxing my friend's hair.

First I would rinse the relaxer out as much as possible, then do a neutralizing shampoo, then rinse that out, do the vinegar rinse and let it sit for a min, then do the shampoo again to check the color. Even after letting it sit its always pure white. I'm sure someone else knows about it...

I don't use straight vinegar, but I do use the Jherri Redding Natural Protein Conditioner which has vinegar in it. It brings the ph levels down immediately and adds back in protein lost during the relaxer breakdown. Then i proceed to use a ph lowering conditioner, then neutralizing shampoo. When I get finished, there's no way there's anything left processing in my hair. I don't do a single relaxer without my trusted Jherri Redding. :)

Americka

I can't speak on using vinegar, but Roux Porosity Control can lower the ph of hair quickly. French Perm Stabilizer can do the same as well. PC's ph is 4.5 and FPS's ph is 2.5.

Aviah

I don't use straight vinegar, but I do use the Jherri Redding Natural Protein Conditioner which has vinegar in it. It brings the ph levels down immediately and adds back in protein lost during the relaxer breakdown. Then i proceed to use a ph lowering conditioner, then neutralizing shampoo. When I get finished, there's no way there's anything left processing in my hair. I don't do a single relaxer without my trusted Jherri Redding. :)

I use plain vinegar and water, straight vinegar is too harsh.

melissa-bee

Yeah, i tried it like the last two times i relaxed. I rinsed and did a shampoo first because i like to get the gunk out first. Then rinse, then used apple cider vinegar and water.... I'm not sure if i let see long enough but i still had pink in the lather and i don't remember shampooing any less than i used to do. Maybe the ratio was wrong.

Aviah

Yeah it may have been too much water, or the time you left it on for. I don't think I've ever used acv on someone, I just used the plain one which may be more acidic anyway.

vkb247

I have used vinegar rinses after regular washes (I stopped because it was making my hair reddish) and I have also used vinegar mixed with shampoo or conditioner to neutralize after a relaxer. It works well for me.

HairBarbie

Yeah, i tried it like the last two times i relaxed. I rinsed and did a shampoo first because i like to get the gunk out first. Then rinse, then used apple cider vinegar and water.... I'm not sure if i let see long enough but i still had pink in the lather and i don't remember shampooing any less than i used to do. Maybe the ratio was wrong.
Make the ACV is not getting to all parts of the hair, that or you need to add just a little more ACV to your water.