Does anyone else think that "Black" products dont smell as good as "White" products??

ttlayli

I have read so many threads about how you ladies and your men love the smell of your washed hair. I'm thinking "It smells that good?" :perplexed When I do my hair...it smells like HAIR or the product that I put in...which after I put it in my hair, doesnt smell the same. I have always cowashed with that suave humetress and since it's warm again in SoCal (Yay!!!) I decided I could wear my hair natural. I WANTED my hair to smell YUMMY too, so instead of using the cheapie Suave or my beloved ORS (that condish is too expensive for a cowash), I used some of my moms Garnier Frutis Products! WOW! Now I know what you ladies are talking about! :yep: Its been hrs since I cowashed, and my hair still smells great. The scent lingers on even outside! But it made me think....my hair has NEVER smelled this great when using products geared towards "Black" woman...and I even notice....my black friends hair just smell like hair (or stinks like gel), but my white friends hair smell great! Does anyone else notice that??

myco

Re: Does anyone else think that "Black" products dont smell as good as "White" produc

With rare and isolated exceptions, I agree that "Black" products don't smell good. Like you said, the hair smells like "product".

Qualitee

Re: Does anyone else think that "Black" products dont smell as good as "White" produc

I agree to but black products put more care into what they put in the product to better our hair, but white products put in anything and then add a pretty smell to sell products. Black products qulity white quantity:yep:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.

Girl yes! I was gonna start a thread about this! White products smell so good, all fruity, flowery and feminine. But most black products smell all medicinal and kind of unpleasant :ohwell:

Why do these companies think that black women don't want their hair to smell delicious? Or do they just not care about making our hair products smell good? :perplexed

Last edited:

Enchante

I agree with the OP whole-heartedly. I absolutely hate the way that most "black" products smell or leave my hair smelling. What makes ppl think that all black women want to smell tropical and coconutt-y?!? Definitely not me!!! Since childhood my mom hated the smell of overly fruity products and it has rubbed of on me. I also like "white" products more because there are more scents to choose from.... if I want to smell fresh one day I can... and in the off chance that I want to smell tropical I can do that too. Overall, I just think that "white" products give more options.

Napp

Ms. Nobody

werd. my friend was sniffing in my hair today talkin bout how it smelled like really good. i said i cowashed this morning and she was like "oh you tryin to be like a white girl now?":rolleyes:

Now that i know how to co wash i can actually enjoy the fruity smells of my herbal essences and other good smelling conditioners. before i would put on so much stuff the candy smell of conditioner would be replace by the sweaty booty smell of WGO or something

cmesweet

I sooooooooooo feel ya. I smell products like a mad woman :bangdesk:Stankin' products can not be near me, cause stank' lingers and it RISES when its hot (summer) that means its worse later on during the day or season.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!

Yesssssssssssssssssssss!!! I completely agree and I've been complaining about this very topic for years. Products geared towards whites have all different kinds of wonderful smells that are intoxicating. Products geared towards blacks ... coconut city. :rolleyes: That's why I'm glad I co-wash with more mainstream products like Herbal Essences and Sunsilk.

I remember a commercial back in the 80s for a shampoo and conditioner called "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific". That was the actual name of the line. As a child, I could never understand what that commercial was about because my hair never smelled "terrific". Now, I've got random strangers telling me my hair smells good.

JustKiya

Oh, wow, I never noticed this before, but you are SO right - 'black' products tend to either smell like straight chemicals, or like banana/coconut.

:perplexed How insulting is THAT? Ugh.

myco

Oh, wow, I never noticed this before, but you are SO right - 'black' products tend to either smell like straight chemicals, or like banana/coconut.

:perplexed How insulting is THAT? Ugh.

Don't forget "watermelon".

silkii_locks

werd. my friend was sniffing in my hair today talkin bout how it smelled like really good. i said i cowashed this morning and she was like "oh you tryin to be like a white girl now?":rolleyes:

Now that i know how to co wash i can actually enjoy the fruity smells of my herbal essences and other good smelling conditioners. before i would put on so much stuff the candy smell of conditioner would be replace by the sweaty booty smell of WGO or something
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Vinyl

I swear, this thread is hilarious! :grin: And yes, I agree. I use synthetic hair in my head just so I can use "white" shampoos without worrying about what it'd do to my real hair! I love the smells. =)

carib_n_curly

i barely use black products now i'm going the all natural products route. i have like 7 "black products" and i only use 3 out of the 7 the other 3 were mistakes i had for a year :lachen:but i don't want to waste them so i try to use em up some how.