Does anyone feel like me? - I hate protective hairstyles(don't look my best)

laurend

I need to do protective hairstyles a least 3 weeks out of the month for the next 3 months in order for me to reach my goal. I want to be full midback by Christmas, however, I don't like twists on me and my bun is ho hum. My favorite hairstyle is twist-outs and I feel very sexy in them. Does anyone feel like me? Do I just need to get over it?:lachen:

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
I cant stand putting my hair in buns:perplexed..Just dont like how it looks on me..Too much forehead exposure:look:..What I do is put my hair in a little bun in the back, stocking cap and them my wig. My hair has been growing by doing this. My hairline has also grown back by doing this. I put JBCO on my hairline before applying my wigcap:yep:

SEMO

I think you can have a mix of both. I use protective hairstyles, but I also have times where I choose to forgo them. I figure, if wearing my hair in protective styles over 95% of the time is the only way to grow/retain length at a certain level then maybe my hair is just not meant to be that long. I want to be able to enjoy my hair outside protective styles that hide my hair (some protective styles are less boring than others).

Now I may have an advantage over you in the fact that wearing ponytails and buns a lot don't bother me most days. But there are times where I just don't want to wear one, and so I don't. ;)

Last edited:

Barbie83

I feel the same way. If I can't reach my goal by PS'ing 3 days a week, then it's not worth it to me. And hey OP, it could be worse: If your fave hairstyle was a blowout/flatironed look, then u might have an issue. But since u love twistouts (so do I), I think it's a fabulous compromise, because at least its a healthy, no-heat style!

laurend

I feel the same way. If I can't reach my goal by PS'ing 3 days a week, then it's not worth it to me. And hey OP, it could be worse: If your fave hairstyle was a blowout/flatironed look, then u might have an issue. But since u love twistouts (so do I), I think it's a fabulous compromise, because at least its a healthy, no-heat style!

Off topic, Barbie you look like a Barbie doll. Do you model?

aquajoyice

Yeah it makes me feel plain jane. And i've been in them for months now and i'm ready to let my hair hang out once i'm done with this stretch!!!

WaistLengthDreams

Laurend, you are not alone. I wear buns most of the time because they are easier to deal with. But I can't help but feel a little bummy. I like twistouts too (and I plan on doing it this weekend), but I don't do them as often as I would like. I feel I have to find the right time to do them, because they take so much time and only last a few days.

But at the end of the day, PSing is getting me closer to my goals. So I just suck it up and try to pretend like my hair isn't in the homely bun.

Fine 4s

Hey Laurend,

I hear you...I don't look my best with twists or braids and some other hardcore PS styles. But my ambition overrides the need to look good (heck to look decent at times lol)...I'm helping someone else grow her hair and I can't wait to show ya'll pics her hair looks soooooo good and soooo much better (but digressing). She was able to do it b/c she works shifts and stays in box braids more than anyone I know...PS styles that fit with someone's lifestyle is a great match!

laurend

Hey Laurend,

I hear you...I don't look my best with twists or braids and some other hardcore PS styles. But my ambition overrides the need to look good (heck to look decent at times lol)...I'm helping someone else grow her hair and I can't wait to show ya'll pics her hair looks soooooo good and soooo much better (but digressing). She was able to do it b/c she works shifts and stays in box braids more than anyone I know...PS styles that fit with someone's lifestyle is a great match!

How long does your friend stay in her braids? I can't wait to see pics.

that_1_grrrl

I don't like protective styles that take a lot of work and manipulation, such as braids and twists. I am waiting for my hair to grow long enough, so I can wear buns. Buns are a beautiful protective style. I will also wear large twists and braids as my hair gets longer. All three options require little time and manipulation.

CocoBunny

Laurend, you are not alone. I wear buns most of the time because they are easier to deal with. But I can't help but feel a little bummy. I like twistouts too (and I plan on doing it this weekend), but I don't do them as often as I would like. I feel I have to find the right time to do them, because they take so much time and only last a few days.

But at the end of the day, PSing is getting me closer to my goals. So I just suck it up and try to pretend like my hair isn't in the homely bun.

How do you get yours to last a few days!!!!! My braidouts are only good for one day? I love the look but I hate the effort. Any advice would be appreciated.

beana

I dont like or wear PS, i know they do wonders for retaining length but they take away from my "appeal" and i cant have that lol

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
This is a really important point-I'm sure your hair can still thrive with the low manipulation that twistouts provide.