Protective Hairstyles -- Help!!!

MissYocairis

Hi Ladies. I'm a proud newbie. I love this site. Don't have my pics up but bear with me. In the meantime...HOW, WHAT, WHERE are the protective hairstyles and any tips pertaining to them. I am looking for ideas on protective hairstyles as well as how often one should wear protective hairstyles in the winter vs summer, etc. Also, is a sew-in weave considered a protective hairstyle? And, lastly, has anyone tried the Crown & Glory braid method as a protective hairstyle and what was your experience? Which braid styles are bad and which are good? Can I just wear a bun all winter and help my hair grow? HELP! :D

MomofThreeBoys

CantBeCopied said:
Hi Ladies. I'm a proud newbie. I love this site. Don't have my pics up but bear with me. In the meantime...HOW, WHAT, WHERE are the protective hairstyles and any tips pertaining to them. I am looking for ideas on protective hairstyles as well as how often one should wear protective hairstyles in the winter vs summer, etc. Also, is a sew-in weave considered a protective hairstyle? And, lastly, has anyone tried the Crown & Glory braid method as a protective hairstyle and what was your experience? Which braid styles are bad and which are good? Can I just wear a bun all winter and help my hair grow? HELP! :D

Southergirl and Dontspeakdefeat have protective styles in their albums. I also have a few in my album as well. Yes, a sew in is considered a protective hairstyle. In my opinion, micros are horrible for your hair. Box braids, tree braids, and cornrows can be very healthy if properly cared for. Buns are another good protective hair style! I like to wear my buns with a phony pony on top!:D

Sweet_Ambrosia

MotownGirl has a great guide on how to's including the protective styles you've mentioned. http://www.motowngirl.com/how_to.htm

Buns are great as a protective styles as long as your moisturzing your hair & ends daily. When i wear buns or phony ponies i do the baggie method its great for protecting & moisturizing your ends.*DsD has an album on that as well.

Braids can be used as a protective style as long as their not too tight & are properly taken care of. As natalied mention it woud be better to stay away from micro braids, because they can add stress to your hair line & make your hair thin.

You can wear protective styles year round if you want to. Just make sure to properly take care of your hair in the meanwhile.

HtH~

Welcome, CantBeCopied. :wave:

My favorite protective style is braids. They not only protect your hair, but they save time and energy and gives you a break from fussing over your hair. Just make sure they're done properly and keep them moisturized!

Isis

Welcome CantBeCopied! :wave:

I wear buns, French Twists, braided updos as well as braidouts for protective styles. Examples are in my album. The main thing is to keep your hair moisturized, protect your ends so you can maintain length, manipulate your hair as litte as possible and either stay completely away from heat and airdry or use minimal heat.

KinksnCurlz

I agree with everything the ladies have said. I'm a bun girl so that's mainly my style, either that or a high ponytail. Braidwise I'm into cornrows. I spray my braids daily with braid spray and surge 2x day. I spray with scurl every other day.
For the buns/pontails, i keep my ends moisturized using tigi ego boost and profectiv healthy ends. I apply same to my length (after putting the rubberband on). This combo keeps my ends moist all day long :)

sengschick

The Bun Master
Ms. K started a thread w/links to several albums that had protective styles. That should have been sticky-ed. :ohwell:

MissYocairis

I did visit DsD's photo album and her instructions on the baggie method everyone seems to like. My question to you and everyone else is, when you do the baggie method, is vaseline the best thing to use on those ends?

MomofThreeBoys

CantBeCopied said:
I did visit DsD's photo album and her instructions on the baggie method everyone seems to like. My question to you and everyone else is, when you do the baggie method, is vaseline the best thing to use on those ends?

I think you have to use what works for you. I personally use olive oil. Whatever it takes to seal in the moisture, use it!

sengschick

The Bun Master
CantBeCopied said:
Vaseline is too heavy for my hair and made my ends snap. I just use conditioner mixed w/castor and avocado oil.

MissYocairis

Your bun is pretty. I'll grab some of that profectiv for ends. Had you tried the vasline DsD suggested on her website on your baggie method? I am guilty of abusing the blow dryer. My hair is so bouncy and pretty when it's blown dry but it won't grow past the base of my neck. It's killing me! So, alas, I am putting the blow dryer down and stepping away. But, tell, me what is SURGING? I've seen it metioned quite a bit and have no idea what it is.

MissYocairis

Wow, I am glad I asked. I thought it was sealed in stone. Okay, so olive oil or conditioner mixed with castor and avacado oil? What about just using a deep penetrating protein conditioner and wearing the baggie a couple days then washing? I know it's all common sense and practical application but I am nervous to make a mistake.

MomofThreeBoys

CantBeCopied said:
Your bun is pretty. I'll grab some of that profectiv for ends. Had you tried the vasline DsD suggested on her website on your baggie method? I am guilty of abusing the blow dryer. My hair is so bouncy and pretty when it's blown dry but it won't grow past the base of my neck. It's killing me! So, alas, I am putting the blow dryer down and stepping away. But, tell, me what is SURGING? I've seen it metioned quite a bit and have no idea what it is.

http://www.surgehaircare.com

A lot of women (including me) here use Surge 14 to accelerate growth.

PhonyBaloney500

Surge has biotin in it. There's a link at the top of the page. It's about 5.99 for the spray. It can dry some people's hair out though. I just use it on my edges and it seems to be working a bit (it's been about a month).

MissYocairis

Isis, I love your fotki site. VERY INFORMATIVE and your hair is beautiful. I have 4a hair that is thick and I have ruined it with hair color and excessive blowdrying. I cannot imagine a life without heat though so this will be a serious challenge for me. But, seeing your hair pics is motivation for me to do better. I want to see what my hair would be if I were frying it, dying it and laying it to the side. ;o) Thanks.

MissYocairis

Aiight...this is a dumb question but I live in Ohio and we don't know .... what is a "Dominican Blowout"? And, why are "Dominican" products and salons and techniques different or special from American ones? :cool:

brickhouse

Welcome :newbie:. My favorite protective style is the quick weave wig. I just take it off at the end of the day.

luv04

i think that the best protective styles are braids, buns, i have sum in my album and alot of tha ladies here have sum so there is plently selection to choose from. happy growing!!