Does anyone here not use conditioner/ deep conditioner in their hair?

GreenBloodyShoe

Hey, I have recently revamped my hair routine to exclude conditioner and products with silicones due to severe chest and back acne. :nono:Currently my routine is to:
Pre poo with a warm hazelnut oil scalp massage overnight.
Shampoo with AppleValleyNaturalSoap Chocolate Silk or Marshmallow Aloe Shampoo Bar.
Wrap hair in a towel and squeeze out excess water.
Part my hair in four sections.
Apply V05 Silky Experiences Shea Cashmere Moisturizing Conditioner or Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie as a leave in conditioner.
Seal with Olive Oil
Put my hair in a damp bun.

I repeat this every other day. So I am asking is it okay to skip using a rinse out or deep conditioner in the shower since they break me out even if I use my acne wash after. I am mostly natural with about an inch of leftover relaxed hair on the sides and some longer pieces in the front. My current length is collarbone/shoulder length and my final goal is either Classic Length or Mid thigh length. I think I have 3c/4a hair.

So anyone else not use conditioner and manage to grow long hair?

bronzephoenix

It shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like you're still using conditioner, just a different method (leave-in vs. rinse-out). I do this. My hair is thriving from conditioner bunning :) I get much more moisturizing benefit than I would rinsing after a few minutes.

I wouldn't do it for twists/braids or out/straight styles though because it would be too moist & heavy. HTH!

ETA: I haven't felt nearly as much need to dc since I went back to this here.

Proverbs 31:30

Ogoma

I use curl junkie curl rehab as my leave-in so I don't feel the need to DC with moisturizing conditioners anymore either. Although, I still DC every other week with protein/balancing conditioners, and use rinse-out conditioners to detangle and co-wash.

I think you will be fine, but curious to know what you are using to maintain your protein-moisture balance.

Last edited:

GreenBloodyShoe

I use curl junkie curl rehab as my leave-in so I don't feel the need to DC with moisturizing conditioners anymore either. Although, I still DC every other week with protein/balancing conditioners, and use rinse-out conditioners to detangle and co-wash.

I think you will be fine, but curious to know what you are using to maintain your protein-moisture balance.

I was planning on just adding an egg to my oil pre poo or buying a protein leave in conditioner like Redken Anti Snap to use every once in a while.

nlamr2013

Ime I know one girl who does this her ends are all eaten up and uneven. But perhaps being natural is better for this style of conditioning.

Ogoma

I was planning on just adding an egg to my oil pre poo or buying a protein leave in conditioner like Redken Anti Snap to use every once in a while.

I am not familiar with the Redken product. Is the protein hydrolyzed? I have often read the molecules in eggs are too large to penetrate the hair shaft. I guess you can see how it goes. Good luck.

Last edited:

*CherryPie*

Why don't you wash and condition your hair in the SINK? That way, the shampoo and conditioner can't run don your body. Don't stop deep conditioning.

mshoneyfly

Why don't you wash and condition your hair in the SINK? That way, the shampoo and conditioner can't run don your body. Don't stop deep conditioning.

I agree with maybe trying the sink method but still keep the hair going in a downward direction by doing one section at a time while turning your head to the side.

OR you could do the same thing in the shower. Instead of standing directly under the shower head, just put your head under the water and do one side/section at a time. You might have to do this soon anyway as your natural hair gets longer and thicker.

You could also invest in a good exfoliating product and a shower brush for your back and chest area.

HanaKuroi

I use press and seal wrap on my neck and shoulders to prevent henna from irritating my neck when rinsing. The press and seal for freezers works best.

Ta-da! :)

Make sure your skin is dry and free of oils and lotions do it will stick better.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Amarilles

I haven't DCed in the traditional way since last year. Deep conditioners are so called because they contain ingredients that penetrate. Leave-ins/moisturizers can contain the very same ingredients. Something doesn't have to be labeled "deep conditioner" to benefit the hair in a similar way. Do make sure your moisturizers include things like coconut oil, panthenol, any hydrolyzed protein, amino acids, or any other ingredient that does reach the cortex though.

I shampoo weekly and followup with a rhassoul clay mix (rhassoul + water + honey + ACV) because it helps my mild dermatitis, I tend to call this step a "DC" because I baggy it while I finish showering, but it's not a deep condish. After that I move on to my leave-ins and finito.

The benefit to products labeled as "deep conditioner" is that they're formulated to work quicker, especially if using heat. Some of the ingredients above take a long while to penetrate (overnight usually) but as they're leave-ins, it shouldn't really be a problem.

GreenBloodyShoe

I don't do the sink because my mother would freak. She thinks it is unsanitary and I also tend to wash my hair in the mornings, read 5 a.m. Before heading off to school. I tried bending over in the shower, wrapping a towel around me, etc, but for some reason my skin gets clogged pretty easily. I can't use sulfates, silicones, heavy butters, or certain oils. Even conditioning agents like Cetearyl Alcohol, centrimonium Chloride (Sp?), behementrium Cholride (Sp?) break me out anywhere it touches me. I can't bathe with regular soap either. My skin is just a real pain in the behind to be frank.

Not trying to talk your ear off, but I've decided that I should maybe look for some all natural deep conditioners without these ingredients and see how it goes. The only reason why I was so ready to give up deep conditioners is because as a child I always had long hair as long as I was relaxer free. My mother's basic routine for me was shampooing and conditioning with Pantene, putting leave in conditioner also by Pantene and bunning. She would massage my scalp with coconut oil the night before a wash. This happened usually every two or three days and I never had split ends or breakage. I got my first haircut at 13/14 only after I went and relaxed/started heat styling my hair.

Last edited:

GreenBloodyShoe

I am not familiar with the Redken product. Is the protein hydrolyzed? I have often read the molecules in eggs are too large to penetrate the hair shaft. I guess you can see how it goes. Good luck.

Yes I only choose leave ins with hydrolyzed proteins and oils that are known to actually penetrate the hair shaft. I mentioned egg because for one my mother has exposed me to aryurvedic hair care routines passed down from her family in which things like henna, eggs, beer, fenugreek, yogurt and coconut milk are used to strengthen the hair and seem to work fine. Secondly. I have experimented with using both an egg and coconut milk as a protein treatment and it seemed to work the same if not better than one of the many protein deep conditioners and reconstructors. Thanks for pointing this out though. It wasn't until recently that I read on BlackGirlLongHair that you are better off eating food items than putting it on your hair, lol.

Last edited:

BraunSugar

I don't do the sink because my stepmother would freak. She thinks it is unsanitary and I also tend to wash my hair in the mornings, read 5 a.m. Before heading off to school. I tried bending over in the shower, wrapping a towel around me, etc, but for some reason my skin gets clogged pretty easily. I can't use sulfates, silicones, heavy butters, or certain oils. Even conditioning agents like Cetearyl Alcohol, centrimonium Chloride (Sp?), behementrium Cholride (Sp?) break me out anywhere it touches me. I can't bathe with regular soap either. My skin is just a real pain in the behind to be frank.

Not trying to talk your ear off, but I've decided that I should maybe look for some all natural deep conditioners without these ingredients and see how it goes. The only reason why I was so ready to give up deep conditioners is because as a child I always had long hair as long as I was relaxer free. My step mother's basic routine for me was shampooing and conditioning with Pantene, putting leave in conditioner also by Pantene and bunning. She would massage my scalp with coconut oil the night before a wash. This happened usually every two or three days and I never had split ends or breakage. I got my first haircut at 13/14 only after I went and relaxed/started heat styling my hair.

People wash the dirt and germs from their hands, their faces, brush their teeth, and even put raw meat in sinks. I fail to see how washing your hair would be more unsanitary than any of the things I mentioned. You can clean sinks. I don't get her line of reasoning on that.

Ann0804

If you need to use the shower to do your hair- just flip it to the front of your head and wash it and condition it away from your body.

This is what I do when there's no sink available while on vacation.

I also think it depends on your hair. If you are getting good results without DC than keep doing what you are doing. Your hair will let you know if you need to DC.

Ogoma

You can still deep condition with honey and olive or any other oil. You don't need to use traditional conditioners to impart moisture to your hair. It is the protein part that might be tricky, but if your leave-in has hydrolyzed proteins, it should work.

Let us know how it is going for you. Someone else might benefit from this information.

GreenBloodyShoe

People wash the dirt and germs from their hands, their faces, brush their teeth, and even put raw meat in sinks. I fail to see how washing your hair would be more unsanitary than any of the things I mentioned. You can clean sinks. I don't get her line of reasoning on that.

Yeah she does clean meat in there. But she has always been that way. Whenever she dyes her hair she always kneels on the bathroom floor over the tub to wash it out. She has this thing about washing hair our brushing teeth in the sink. To her the kitchen sink is for food and dishes only.

sunnieb

I wear one of those beauty shop plastic capes while rinsing out relaxer to keep it from running down my back. Maybe you could try that for your shampoo/dc.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Yeah she does clean meat in there. But she has always been that way. Whenever she dyes her hair she always kneels on the bathroom floor over the tub to wash it out. She has this thing about washing hair our brushing teeth in the sink. To her the kitchen sink is for food and dishes only.
Why cant you kneel over the tub too? I have a lot of allergies to products but not as severe as yours.

Most wash days, I spend bent over the tub as well, using the hand-held shower tool as well.

My allergy 'cure' has been ayurvedics. And the spill over onto my skin has been amazing. I generally breakout now when I use the wrong styling products and leave ins...

I think you can get away from DCing as long as there is condish on your hair in the form of LI with some protein at the bottom of the list. Eggs, coconut milk, goat's milk even can impart protein. You might want to consider adding heat tho in the form of a hot wet towel or heat cap to be sure your follicles open and let the good stuff in.

KittyMeowMeow

I don't use conditioner anymore. The emulsifiers were causing waxy buildup, brittleness, friziness, and dryness. Emulsifiers are a "glue" that holds together oil and water, making a creamy conditioner. I just directly apply the oils and water- no glue needed.

I "DC" with EVCO as a prepoo, moisturize with water, and use oils and butter as a leave in. I use mudwash, which is what allowed me to do this- it is non-drying, so there really isn't a need to add moisture back. Since I'm not adding buildup causing things, I don't need a heavy wash. so there's no "buildup/wash out" cycle. If you use shampoo, non-drying wash techniques like diluting it in an applicator bottle, applying to scalp, and letting it run through your hair during rinsing will help.

I personally wouldn't use anything that irritates my skin since even if you can rinse it cleanly away from your body, your scalp will still be affected.

That said, there are lots of cone-free DCs (if it's the cones causing it) out there like AO that might work. You can also try natural homemade recipes like coconut milk, avocado, etc. It took me a long time to figure out the conditioner-free thing, and although my hair is so much better for it and my wash routine is so simple and fast w/out DCing, I wouldn't have gone through it if conditioner worked for me. Conditioners & DCing are important for most people, so I wouldn't steer anyone this way unless they just can't use cons, or are dedicated to a truly natural reggie.

GreenBloodyShoe

Why cant you kneel over the tub too? I have a lot of allergies to products but not as severe as yours.

Most wash days, I spend bent over the tub as well, using the hand-held shower tool as well.

My allergy 'cure' has been ayurvedics. And the spill over onto my skin has been amazing. I generally breakout now when I use the wrong styling products and leave ins...

I think you can get away from DCing as long as there is condish on your hair in the form of LI with some protein at the bottom of the list. Eggs, coconut milk, goat's milk even can impart protein. You might want to consider adding heat tho in the form of a hot wet towel or heat cap to be sure your follicles open and let the good stuff in.

My hair isn't long enough for that. Her hair is waist/hip length. Mine is shoulder length stretched and neck length unstretched. Our shower head is fixed in place so it wouldn't be practical for me to try to be able to thoroughly wash my hair. I thought about trying the hose outside but I don't think my parents would be pleased.

Blessed&higlyflavoured

I think leave ins would be enough if your cleanser wa gentle enough. You might want to come up with a method for when you clarify though. How about an initial rinse with a jug bent over the tub to get everything out, so rinsing under the shower isn't so bad ?