Does anyone use fresh avocado on their hair on a regular basis?

hillytmj

I tried it last week when someone recommended that I mix real avocado and honey and apply it as a pre-poo. I was told that I would get really shiny, soft ends. I don't know about the extra shine, but I did notice that the results were similar to the Affirm 5-in-1 reconstructor/protein treatment that I use: I didn't have any broken hairs and only long shed hairs came out during the wash.

I know that avocado is a natural protein, but I didn't know it could be so potent as a topical treatment.

• Does anyone use real, fresh avocadoes on their hair?
  • How do you use it? (as a DC, protein treatment, etc.)
  • How often do you use it?
  • Do you use it all over or just on the ends?
Thanks!

Eisani

I use it weekly in the summer as a prepoo treatment. I mix fresh avocado, honey, coconut oil, coconut milk and sometimes olive oil and let sit under a plastic cap for about an hour then rinse and proceed to wash and dc. It's funky, but effective. It actually does make my hair shinier. Oh, once a month I mix a tblsp of mayo with the avocado, honey and oils. This is a nice protein treatment and definitely pumps up my shine. HTH.

ETA: I use it throughout my entire head, not just on my ends.

discodumpling

I use avacados often in my regi for DC & DT. I have a thread somewhere in one of these forums with a few avacado recipes. Mostly I blend 1/4 to 1/2 Haas avacado (the smallest type) with honey, EVOO & or coconut milk. Sometimes I add other stuff...it just depends on what I have in the house.

I don't get protein treatment results unless I add a tblsp of mayo or the occasional egg.
I have used avacados weekly especially in the summer. I use it all over my hair and baggy. Sometimes i'll go under the dryer soemtimes not. I always get soft moisturized hair.

LuvLiLocks

I used this blended with molasses and egg about two weekends ago and it was absolutely AMAZING!!!! My 4ab hair had some serious slip, was strong and silky and very loose. I have decided that this treatment will be a staple, only I am not certain how often to use it. Next time I do it I will post pictures. :grin: :grin:

donewit-it

Me too. I really like it. I mix my avocado with whatever is in the kitchen. Blackstrap molasses, olive oil, shea butter, honey.

mkd

I have done it, mixing a haas avocado with an egg, olive oil and coconut oil. My hair was very soft. But for some reason, I didn't find it as effective a protein treatment as an egg alone. I think perhaps next time, I will only use half of the avocado.

favorc

I use it every week. I love it. I use a whole avocado, coconut oil, apricot oil, sesame seed oil, rosemary oil, cedarwood oil, SAA, olive oil, and a little rose water. I can't get away from it! It leaves may soft. Only long shed hairs come out too. I sit under the dryer for 20 min and then rinse with acv. just a little bit acv. I don't use shampoo anymore so this has been the way to go for me.
Results: retaining length, thicker hair and darker hair.

hillytmj

I use it every week. I love it. I use a whole avocado, coconut oil, apricot oil, sesame seed oil, rosemary oil, cedarwood oil, SAA, olive oil, and a little rose water. I can't get away from it! It leaves may soft. Only long shed hairs come out too. I sit under the dryer for 20 min and then rinse with acv. just a little bit acv. I don't use shampoo anymore so this has been the way to go for me.
Results: retaining length, thicker hair and darker hair.

I think this is the most amazing part! :yep:

empressri

Oh I did once and loved it. The recipe is in my fotki..sadly I'm HIGHLY allergic to avocado and it made my scalp burn worse than any relaxer. :ohwell: