Does Anyone Visit a Dominican Salon Regularly?

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
She won't talk you into one. I used to go to her regularly and she never mentioned me getting a relaxer. I would go early or at a time when it's not too busy so the person rollersetting your hair can take her time dealing with the NG.

As always, thank you so much!! :kiss:

Nice & Wavy

Now while the weather is cooler, I will be going once every 3 weeks. My dominican stylist is into healthy hair. We had a great conversation last time I went and she said that I would look so pretty with waistlength hair and if I want that, she will help me get to that length. She told me she most of her clients are naturals, and she loves it. She said that her natural clients hair is growing so long, that she is telling some of her dominican clients not to relax their hair. She said that relaxers are good, if hair is takend care of right. This stylist is my kind of girl!

She is so gentle with my hair and I love it. Last time she gave me a deep conditioner (I forget what she said it was) and that problem of dryness I was having in my crown is now a thing of the past. My hair is the best it has felt and looked since becoming natural.

My picture in my avatar is from the last time I got it done. I have to say I love it. I will ask her if she will only blow out the roots next time and see what she says. Since my hair is fine, I think that will give me more body after a few days of wrapping, then when she blows it completely out.

cocoaluv

Now while the weather is cooler, I will be going once every 3 weeks. My dominican stylist is into healthy hair. We had a great conversation last time I went and she said that I would look so pretty with waistlength hair and if I want that, she will help me get to that length. She told me she most of her clients are naturals, and she loves it. She said that her natural clients hair is growing so long, that she is telling some of her dominican clients not to relax their hair. She said that relaxers are good, if hair is takend care of right. This stylist is my kind of girl!

She is so gentle with my hair and I love it. Last time she gave me a deep conditioner (I forget what she said it was) and that problem of dryness I was having in my crown is now a thing of the past. My hair is the best it has felt and looked since becoming natural.

My picture in my avatar is from the last time I got it done. I have to say I love it. I will ask her if she will only blow out the roots next time and see what she says. Since my hair is fine, I think that will give me more body after a few days of wrapping, then when she blows it completely out.

Thats great! the stylist I have seen are always ALWAYS pushing for perms and I dont like that at all. I am relaxed but i am not gonna get a touch up until I feel it is needed.

Nice & Wavy

Thats great! the stylist I have seen are always ALWAYS pushing for perms and I dont like that at all. I am relaxed but i am not gonna get a touch up until I feel it is needed.

I don't blame you. They probably are just lazy and don't want to work on natural hair.

I'm so blessed to have this stylist. She wants all her clients to have long hair, well...who ever wants it. She is so willing to take the extra mile. She asked me what products that I use at home, how often I use them, etc. When I told her what I used, she approved and told me that I was on the right track....:grin:

glamazon386

Well once they've already washed your hair there's nothing they can do anyway. I've had them tell me I needed a relaxer when I had a lot of new growth but I just kept telling them next time, next time. And they eventually shut up.

almondjoi85

I love it. Its so conveinent and cheap...15 dollars for a doobie and deep conditioner... an extra 5 for the roots blown. Its great...I go about every other week. I haven't noticed anything bad.

cocoaluv

for those of you who go what type of shampoo and conditoner do u all use? I use theirs and noticed when I have them deep condition my hair with my alter ego deep conditioner its very tangled afterwards. Anyone have any suggestions? Another salon I go to I never have this issue with so I'm assuming it may be their shampoo and conditioner that is making my hair kinda tangled afterwards.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I love it. Its so conveinent and cheap...15 dollars for a doobie and deep conditioner... an extra 5 for the roots blown. Its great...I go about every other week. I haven't noticed anything bad.

I go to visit my father in Jersey City and there are Dominican salons all over. I'm going to see him for Thanksgiving and want to get my hair done for the holiday, but I am working with 16 weeks post relaxer. Where, in NJ, do you go? Will they deal with NG and possibly press it?

locabouthair

All Dominican Salons are not equal in care and service just like any other hair salon. Sometimes ppl have the misconception, because it's a Dominican Salon, your hair will grew. I've been to plenty/seen plenty of Dominican salons that use the cheapest of products, wash improperly, those who do not want to deep condition you and when they do, put you under the dryer for all but about 5 minutes. Have been very aggressive when combing through hair for roller sets, overlap relaxers, use regular shampoo rather than neutralizer, etc etc etc. The list can go on and on. And sometimes, the major factor is the communication issue.

However, I have been to dominican salons, if the stylist notices an issue with your hair, she'll go in the back, concot up some formula, deep condition you properly, make suggestions, offer advice and etc.

PPL who go to dominican salons who experience the thinning and damage is usually because they are overlapping the relaxer, relaxing too straight and blowdrying each week.

I am glad you said this. I wet to the dominican salon for about 6 months straight ever week. My hair has not flourished. It has gotten a little longer but my ends are VERY thin and I think it's due to them overlapping so much. I feel they (the ones I went to) are so sloppy when it comes to applying the relaxer. The last time I got a relaxer from them the cream dropped on my bag and my clothes. Thank God it didn't go in my eye. I have been Dc weekly, moisturizing daily, and using no heat, plus I stretch. I have taking good care of my hair so it has to be the overlapping that's giving me thin ends.

And they never ask or even talk to you about the health of your hair. They just want to get you in and out. But it's okay bacause I have my LHCF sisters to talk to about hair health.

Yeah there prices are good and they are fast but I am working too hard to get my hair healthy for them to have a nonchalant attiude about it:nono: I am scared of self relaxing but i know I can't go back and let them apply my relaxers.

Now when i went there I see lots of women in there with full, long hair but I guess my hair can't take it. I have 2 friends who swear by the dominicans and they hair hasn't been past shoulder for years. It's not unhealthy just hasn't grown.

I am sure there are dominican salons who care about the health of your hair but this is just my experience.

Eisani

I go to one whenever I don't feel like doing my own hair. I don't go very often because it's not a short drive so I prefer to either just make a morning of it or go when I have something else to do in the area. There's one in Detroit I heard a lot about that I plan on trying before Thanksgiving. I've taken my own products before but only because I'd just got them in the mail and couldn't wait to try them, but I don't usually because they use the good stuff for the most part. The lady that does my hair is the owner and she is Old School, for real. She takes good care of my hair and also gives tips and suggestions on how to treat it whenever I can't get in. She also gave me tips on how to handle my daughter's hair, which I'm grateful for. Her hair has really grown and thrived since applying some of her suggestions. I really think that as with any other salon, keep in mind what works for you and don't be afraid to ask for what you want and speak up when it's something you don't want. If they're rippping thru your NG or if the dryer is too hot, let them know! Never be afraid to ask for particular products, or bring in your own. Communication is key and if you run across someone that catches a 'tude because of it, then you know it's time to move the heck on!

girlyprincess23

all nyc ladies who have found a good dominican salon that charges good prices, doesn't overlap and doesn't harass you about what you want could you please share? also if any of you have them texlax your hair that info would be greatly appreciated too!!!:grin:

MonaLisa

Do any of you just get a rollerset at the Dominican salon without a blowout? Will they wrap it for you after the rollerset so that you can have a straight look?

Yes, this is what I do now until I get my hooded dryer (and Macherie's dvd) over the holiday season.

I don't even want anyone to wash or condition my hair anymore:nono:...I barely want anyone to roll it....but I have to make due with at least just letting it get rolled if I want to wear it straight.

When I took my hair care into my own hands and reduced going to the Dominican salon...my hair finally started to flourish.

So I guess it works for many, not for all...

wantlonghair25

Has anyone heard of Josies? It's in Stone Mountain on Memorial Drive right before you get to Hwy. 78. If so, how was your experience there?

stinastina

I go about 3-4 times a year when I need a trim. I go to Norma's off of Jimmy Carter. I've been to 2 others on JC but wasn't impressed.

laCriolla

I go on the regular, every week. Although for the past month and a half, I've been doing at home deep co's and roller sets. This time, I think I found the right salon. I don't have to argue with them over special requests and she carries all of the "good" products.

me too. i go every week and do DC and sets and protein at home

caramelcutieinva

I went to a new one yesterday after realizing my regualr stylists number was disconnected.

I was really nervous so I did a quick pre poo and detangled in teh shower before I went. I also brought my own producst ( NTM poo, conditioner, leave in, and gloss, and Pink Oil Spray)

The stylist asked if I wanted to condition with heat. She also used my products and set on large rollers, which got it really straight. I did not get a blow out, but I did have her wrap it.

Overall I liked it because she let me choose what I wanted instead of forcing me.

I was thinking of going every two - two and a half weeks regularly.

indigo378

Has anyone heard of Josies? It's in Stone Mountain on Memorial Drive right before you get to Hwy. 78. If so, how was your experience there?

i live in stone mountain and i tried them once, i didn't care for them at all, i felt like they were rushing on my hair. i go to a salon in norcross and i love the way my stylist does my hair there, so maybe thats why i didn't like josie's

InJesusName

I must be getting ripped off because it is no cheaper for me to get my hair done at the dom salon than a AFAM one. I have been to three in my area and the only one I like is pretty expensive.

wantlonghair25

I've been going biweekly for the last 2 years or so. I NEVER allow them to come near my hair with that blow dryer. I would say that my hair has flourished.

Your hair is gorgeous! I just went to Josse's Place off of Memorial and I'm loving the results. Unfortunately, I cannot post updates because my digital camera needs a new cord. But I am going to start going every two weeks, so I will post next time.

HighlyFavored1

Whenever I get my hair done in between touch ups it is always at a Dominican Salon. I discovered that it becomes unhealthy when I allow them to blow dry all of my hair after taking the rollers out (and at the salon I go to they then use a curling iron to bump the ends after the blow-out). Now, I only allow them to blowdry the roots and the top inch or two of my hair, the rest is already straight from the rollers and wrapping.