Does being overweight affect hairgrowth?

Ladybelle

I didn't comment in the overweight/coloring thread, but that thread has me wondering if being overweight can affect such intimate areas of some peoples lives, what other areas does it affect - including hairgrowth?

Anyone lose a bunch of weight & gain a bunch of hair or gain a bunch of weight and lose a bunch of hair??

Does overweight/fat/excess thickness affect hair growth?

milaydy31

I don't think that overweight in itself can affect hair growth but it's clear that not eating well can affect it.
Several years ago I decided to loose some weight and I experienced lots of growth. I think that it was due to the fact that I was eating well and doing some workout. A ealthy diet can contribute to hair growth.

BlackMasterPiece

Yes....because being unhealthy impacts hair growth. With a healthier lifestyle that includes working out and eating right...you can see improvements in many aspects of your hair.......... growth is just one of them.

jahzyira

Nah. Im fat, my hair is thick, healthy, and I have average growth.... My only issue was retention. Thats been solved with my hardcore, indefinite stretch.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Alot of bigger gals I know through church have looong healthy hair..and then there are those who don't. Same goes with fit gals.

MAMATO

Not at all ... hair growth depends on what you eat amongst other things. And you can be skinny and have very bad eating habits (2 or 3 bags of chips and 2-3 sodas and you are done for the day), and you can be overweight and have good eating habits (eggs, meat, beans, peanuts, fish, vegetables) but you just eat too much of them. I know a lot of overweight ladies with very long and healthy hair, but you got to try hard to recognize them behind their huge plates of rice-and-beans, and seafood sauce :)

BlackMasterPiece

Well the OP asked if we think it impacts hair growth not the potential t grow long hair or retention.

I definitely don't think that being overweight/unhealthy means you can't grow long hair....... anyone can retain over time with the right technques.....I'm just saying I think growth can be optimized with better health.

jahzyira

Not at all ... hair growth depends on what you eat amongst other things. And you can be skinny and have very bad eating habits (2 or 3 bags of chips and 2-3 sodas and you are done for the day), and you can be overweight and have good eating habits (eggs, meat, beans, peanuts, fish, vegetables) but you just eat too much of them. I know a lot of overweight ladies with very long and healthy hair, but you got to try hard to recognize them behind their huge plates of rice-and-beans, and seafood sauce :)
:funny: :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

jupitermoon

I'm formerly obese and I haven't noticed any difference.

I don't think being thin or heavy affects head hair growth unless you have some illness such as PCOS, are on certain medications, or are severely malnourished.

ms.blue

Hair growth is determined by different factors such as genetics, health and the manner how you retain the growth. Just b/c someone is overweight doesn't mean they can't grow hair.

OhmyKimB

I'm formerly obese and I haven't noticed any difference.

I don't think being thin or heavy affects head hair growth unless you have some illness such as PCOS, are on certain medications, or are severely malnourished.

I have PCOS and the only issue I have is the thinness of my hair.

Spring

I would say no, I've seen too many full sized women with long gorgeous hair. But I have seen women lose weight too fast in an unhealthy way, and that caused hair thinning.

Last edited:

Nonie

I was gonna say if being overweight affects hairgrowth, then it is to boost it. :giggle: Most of the women I met IRL who had long hair before ever joining the forum were overweight. In fact, I remember wondering if there was something about being fat that made hair grow long. When I joined the forum, I discovered there are just as many slim ladies with long hair, but that wasn't my experience in real life.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
Five years ago I was fat with hair that never got past brushing my shoulders. Today I'm fat with hair 4 inches from wsl. The difference is not growth rate but what I do to retain the length that I get.
~~~~~~~~~~~

I lightweight balk at the concept that diet primarily influencing hair growth. There are many slums in India and China churning out tons of premium remy hair for export and them folks are far from getting 3 balanced a day, let alone clean water.

Geminigirl

Haven't read the thread, but I noticed that a lot of bigger women have thick shiny hair. I'm not talking about ones who don't care for their hair but the ones who do have hair usually have nice hair.

*Muffin*

I don't think being overweight, or even underweight for that matter, has a direct effect on hair growth. What really does have a profound effect on the health and growth of your hair is a person's overall health in general. A person can be overweight and still be healthy. But if ones being overweight is due to a medical issue such as thyroid problems or their being overweight is causing them health complications, these things can impact their hair health and growth. Likewise, not every underweight person has a problem with growing long, healthy hair but those who are underweight due to medical conditions or they suffer from bulimia or anorexia nervosa may experience poor hair growth and even hair fall. And, to add to the variation, I've seen alcoholics and other substance abusers that have beautiful, long hair. So, I guess much depends on the individual as well.

P.S. I'm also formerly obese (I lost 130lbs from my heaviest) and I never had problems with hair growth and I think my hair growth is pretty much the same as it was then.

Last edited:

Geminigirl

Nah. Im fat, my hair is thick, healthy, and I have average growth.... My only issue was retention. Thats been solved with my hardcore, indefinite stretch.

Aww don't call yourself fat. You are very beautiful. I like the terms curvy, thick, full figured, you know something else. I say fat but only to describe certain people who are lazy and just don't care.

reading the thread I see I am not alone in the whole idea that bigger people usually have gorg hair.

CaramelLites

Never heard this question asked before. But, from everything I've read hair is normally the last place to receive nutrients from food. So in my opinion being overweight has nothing to do with hair growth. So DIET would be more of a factor than WEIGHT. I myself am a very curvy girl and I have no problems with hair growth what so ever.

shonshi

I was born fat, and will probably die that way too. I have always had long, thick hair that grows faster than average. My problem has always been retention which I came to LCHF to solve, and I can happily say that I am making great progress! My fat *** was BSL when I got here last year, and I hope will be sitting on top of my fat *** at the end of this year!

Ladybelle

So, I see the general consensus is that WEIGHT doesn't necessarily affect hair growth but HEALTH/NUTRITION does. That makes sense.

Congrats to those ladies who mentioned losing weight - some of you have lost a bunch of weight! Big ups to you, I struggle losing 10-15 pounds, let alone 100.

For me, big or smaller hasn't made a difference, extreme STRESS does. Too much stress and my hair starts doing the bye bye dance.

TracyNicole

I am going to say no I don't think it does. I think hair growth is more a reflection of what you are putting into your body. If there are adequate nutrients and in the absence of disease, I can't think of a reason hair wouldn't grow. Just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they have poor nutrition. I know quite a few overweight vegetarians and vegans who eat tons of health items and have beautiful heads of hair. They are overweight because they don't practice portion control or regular exercise.