Does Breakage = Damaged?

FlawedBeauty

ok i was wondering if breakage necessarily means your hair is damaged. i know y i have breakage -- albeit it had been cut back like 90% -- and it is because my hair is so fragile and has a hard time retaining moisture making it brittle.

i ask this because i don't want to make the mistake of possible using the wrong poo's and condish. i don't know if i should be using something for damaged hair vs. stuff for fine hair since my hair is very fine and brittle. i dont get splits or anything anymore so i'm not sure my hair is damaged. i don't think that hair that has a hard time holding moisture = damaged hair as most curly heads have moisture issues. any thoughts on this apprecieated :)

Aveena

I'm not an expert but if you turn it around the question could be "Does healthy hair break?" My answer to that question would be... not unless it was under a LOT of physical stress. Otherwise no.

So, I think that if hair is breaking in non stressful situations it maybe damaged :confused:.

CurliDiva

I am not sure what you are asking, but breakage - meaning hairs are breaking off vs natural shredding is never a good thing. If a hair is naturally shred - there should be the white bulb at the end.

Breakage could mean that you need more moisture, protien, or just gentler handling or styling.

Try reading the Hair Breakage 101 thread posted by Sticky, which does an excellent job explaining how to recognize and halt damage.

Using a shampoo/condition marked for damagaed hair is not a cure - if the contents are not what your hair needs or your breakage is being caused by styling.

Good luck, CD

mkstar826

supersonic
CurliDiva said:
Breakage could mean that you need more moisture, protien, or just gentler handling or styling.

ITA.

I don't think breakage automatically equals damaged hair though. If your hair breaks because it needs more moisture or protein, it's not necessarily damaged...it just needs something to balance it and keep it from breaking. So I'd say your hair is unbalanced right now since you say you're having problems retaining moisture. But let's say you dyed your hair and your ends came out fried and crispy because of it and no matter what you did they were like that...to me that's damage because more than likely you're going to have to cut the dye out and start over. See the difference?

just my two cents..

Aveena

I've experience both types of breakage... too hard and too soft hair. It's hard to strke a balance. After thinking about it more I guess (otherwise) intact hair would break if the moisture/protein balance isn't right.

nychaelasymone

yup...I agree read the damaged 101 thread. Maybe u need to visit a stylist who can tell you whether you need more protein or moisture or both. There's a wealth of info on this site, I suggest you do a search. Some of the regimine's posted may help you. I believe Sista Slick said that if you're not sure if you need protein...side with moisture.

nychaelasymone

Fran said:
I've experience both types of breakage... too hard and too soft hair. It's hard to strke a balance. After thinking about it more I guess (otherwise) intact hair would break if the moisture/protein balance isn't right.

you are right. Usually crunchy hair means too much protein....u need moisture. Mushy hair means to much moisture...u may need to add a little protein.

I've had this problem and it took some trial and error until I found that perfect balance. Take your time and you will find the right balance.

I pray you the best.

LAYDEE

mkstar826 said:
ITA.

I don't think breakage automatically equals damaged hair though. If your hair breaks because it needs more moisture or protein, it's not necessarily damaged...it just needs something to balance it and keep it from breaking. So I'd say your hair is unbalanced right now since you say you're having problems retaining moisture. But let's say you dyed your hair and your ends came out fried and crispy because of it and no matter what you did they were like that...to me that's damage because more than likely you're going to have to cut the dye out and start over. See the difference?

just my two cents..

ITA-just recently i went to get my touch up and my stylist told me that she can see slight breakage in my hair from me brushing too much:perplexed -she explained that although i have alittle breakage, it can be treated and that doesnt mean my hair is DAMAGED. she showed me the area in my hair that had the breakage-and then showed me a picture of a head of hair that was DAMAGED-my hair looked nothing like that. She then told me that we needed to up my protein(i use k-pak-and i love it), and stay away from the brush. throughout the week-she said to moisturize

FlawedBeauty

thanks all! i find that the only time my hair won't break off from a little tug is when i have a crap load of oil sittin on my head. that would be ok if it didn't look like a grease bucket! other than that my hair is dry feeling. i know i need moisture, and i have read the breakage thread but i can't seem to find a creme or lotion to keep my hair mositurized through out the day.

FlawedBeauty

oh, and all of my damage is from the crown up. the bottom of my hair absoloutely thrives! i havent figured out why that is yet.:confused: i did shave the back of my head bald when i was in like 7th grade :eek: and it seems like all of that is what is healthy and beautiful. maybe i just have to wait until the front of my hair grows out the relaxer because when i used to give myself relaxers i woulld only do the front of my head to the crown because it was the only part of my head that was jacked up. perhaps when it all grows out, last relaxer was 9-4-06, my front will match my back.

nychaelasymone

FlawedBeauty said:
thanks all! i find that the only time my hair won't break off from a little tug is when i have a crap load of oil sittin on my head. that would be ok if it didn't look like a grease bucket! other than that my hair is dry feeling. i know i need moisture, and i have read the breakage thread but i can't seem to find a creme or lotion to keep my hair mositurized through out the day.

I don't if this will help you but I performed this regimine this weekend w/ lovely results:

I blended some avacodo's and mixed it w/ some vitamin e oil & a squirt of hello hydration conditioner applied it to my dry hair, baggied and wrapped w/a hair towel and went to sleep for about 4 hours.

I rinsed and pooed w/ Creme of Nature ultra moisturizing and conditioned w/ Motions conditioner (it has a lot of cones in it but my hair does okay w/ most cones) I let that sit for about an hour rinsed and did a final rinse w/ apple cider vinegar and water.

I applied my leave-ins (currently Garnier Fructis long & strong mixed w/ Nexxus Headress)

wrapped w/ setting lotion (ORS wrapping mouse)

sat under the dryer for 30 minutes (I have short hair)

combed out (no breakage AT ALL)

Applied some kemi-oyl and a little light pressing oil and lightly bumped w/ my ceramincs.

I've had so many compliments about my hair it's crazy....this coming ffom the woman who went from patchy bald hair to fabulous!

LAYDEE

FlawedBeauty said:

i also have fine hair and my hair stays moisturized with Profectiv Breakfree and Healthy Ends. i also do the baggie method everynight-i alternate between Breakfree mixed with Healthy Ends-and-WGHO mixed with a lil Kemy oil---I've noticed that after doing the baggie method for some time my hair is holding on to the moisture. As of lately i only apply oil or profectiv every other night. In the beginning my hair wouldnt hold moisture either-so for two nights straight i baggy'd my entire head-it helped so much!