Does changing denomination = changing religion

dicapr

In OT there is a thread about changing religions. A couple of posters stated they changed from being Catholic to be insert new denoination here. I would think that they really didn't change religion but denomination. I view Catholisim as christian so I don't really think that is a change in religion. I know that changing denominations can be life changing event (I am thinking of changing denominations now) but I don't think I is a change in religion.

OhmyKimB

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry but I posted this in the Christian RT it has nothing to do with religion! I don't get why everyone doesn't see that. NOI to Christian or Christian to Judism is a change but within one branch is but not religion

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
In OT there is a thread about changing religions. A couple of posters stated they changed from being Catholic to be insert new denoination here. I would think that they really didn't change religion but denomination. I view Catholisim as christian so I don't really think that is a change in religion. I know that changing denominations can be life changing event (I am thinking of changing denominations now) but I don't think I is a change in religion.

Hi Sweetie: As long as you worship the same God, it's not a change in Religion, only the form of worship have changed, not whom is worshipped, that's all. If one denounces the Lord Jesus Christ and changes to another, then one's religion has changed.

Blessings :Rose:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I consider some Catholics as Christians, but I have heard some people when asked, "Are you a Christian?" and they'll say, "No, I'm Catholic." So there are some Catholics that do not consider themselves Christians. Maybe because of the difference in worship, traditions, sacraments, and prayer.

Guitarhero

In that instance, it is changing religions. Unless one believes the wholeness of the Church and its sacraments, you have then changed religions and it is no longer the "catholic" faith. Same with the orthodox and coptic. Just believing in Jesus is not the same. Hopefully, no one is offended and there's no need to place a value judgment on anything, it just is as it is. I hope that explains it satisfactorily.

Last edited:

Guitarhero

I consider some Catholics as Christians, but I have heard some people when asked, "Are you a Christian?" and they'll say, "No, I'm Catholic." So there are some Catholics that do not consider themselves Christians. Maybe because of the difference in worship, traditions, sacraments, and prayer.

Because "christian" means "protestant" historically.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
The term was created during the early days, since we are called to be "little Christs" through His Blood and the baptisms of water, fire and Spirit.

Thank you, Father, for freeing me from the yoke of man's traditions to follow You, to sit at Your feet as Your friend Mary did. What a wonderful day it will be when His children all serve Him in spirit forever.

dicapr

Intersting views here. I have met Catholics that consider themselves Christians. I guess some Catholics don't. But for the same reasons given that swiitching from Catholic to insert denomination would be considered switching religions any denominational switch could be considered switching religions. If you go from denominational to undenominational is that changing religions? The basic beliefs of God the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit have not been rejected. The belief that Christ died for our sins has not been rejected. The belief in heaven and an afterlife have not been rejected. What has been rejected, to me, is the process of how to worship and achieve eternal life. The basic belief system still stands.

Guitarhero

Intersting views here. I have met Catholics that consider themselves Christians. I guess some Catholics don't. But for the same reasons given that swiitching from Catholic to insert denomination would be considered switching religions any denominational switch could be considered switching religions. If you go from denominational to undenominational is that changing religions? The basic beliefs of God the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit have not been rejected. The belief that Christ died for our sins has not been rejected. The belief in heaven and an afterlife have not been rejected. What has been rejected, to me, is the process of how to worship and achieve eternal life. The basic belief system still stands.

To the first bolded, it's cultural/historical because after the protestant reformation, some people were no longer "catholic," right? Surely, catholics are christians. They receive the body and blood of Jesus...the actual...yes. But they are not protestants who are of a different religion. Religion is belief and practice. Of course, catholics and protestants worship Jesus but protestants do not have the full faith (please do not take offense...it's an explanation) as handed down from the apostles. They have Jesus, surely. But they are not under the fullness of the catholic/orthodoxy. It includes the eucharist...that is central. This is not a value judgment at all...just explaining and very briefly so. It's way more complicate than just that.

To the second bolded, yes, it is changing religions. Non-catholics may not take the eucharist. Catholics may not take communion in protestant churches. Catholics may not marry non-catholics without a proper church-issued dispensation. Etc. It's about accepting the entire Church, it's traditions, it's doctrine, its bible, everything. Incidentally, if I entered St. Mark's Church which is the Coptic faith, I'd have to convert. They would not consider me, a catholic, as a "true" follower of the one true Church. BTW, their church is so old in tradition...they have not changed Roman Catholics have changed up the service a bit...but the eucharist...NEVER EVER changed. NOt from Chaldea, Orthodox, Aramaic, Ethiopian, Byzantine....in other words...the first church and the eucharist, never changed. Protestants are not a part of this. Their communion is not transubstantiated (I'm tired this evening..please google for full explanation). It's about taking up the entire Church and not cafeteria style. It would definitely be changing religions. They are not the exact same...between protestants and catholics, orthodox etc. Of course, there is a little historical problem and in-fighting that maintains East and West...and a little prejudice as well. :nono: between us catholics and orthodox.

Basically, we are all G-d's children. One day, we will join with the synagogue...there will be one worship of all mankind of the One True G-d. We should all respect each other's freedoms to follow G-d as they are chosen, acculturated and so see individually fit. I'm about to keel over from fatigue. Until tomorrow, by G-d's will.

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Acts 11:26 (KJV)
And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

Laela

The History of Protestantism began with the Protestant Reformation, an attempt to reform the Western Church. The reactions of the ecclesiastical and political leaders at the time of the reformers led to a schism between Protestants and the Roman Catholic Church.

During the centuries leading up to the Protestant Reformation, many western Christians were troubled by what they saw as false doctrines and malpractices within the Church, particularly involving the teaching and sale of indulgences . Another major cause of contention was rampant simony, the sale of offices in the church, and tremendous corruption within the Church's hierarchy. At the time, this systemic corruption often reached all the way up to the Bishop of Rome himself, the Pope. This set the stage for open debate and conflict after German theologian Martin Luther wrote his Ninety-Five Theses on the sale of indulgences in 1517.

Protestant Reformation (1517 – 1579)
Main article: Protestant Reformation

In the early 16th century, the church was confronted with the challenge posed by Martin Luther to the traditional teaching on the church's doctrinal authority and to many of its practices as well. The seeming inability of Pope Leo X (1513–1521) and those popes who succeeded him to comprehend the significance of the threat that Luther posed - or, indeed, the alienation of many Christians by the corruption that had spread throughout the church - was a major factor in the rapid growth of the Protestant Reformation. By the time the need for a vigorous, reforming papal leadership was recognized, much of northern Europe had already converted to Protestantism.
[edit] Germany
Main article: Martin Luther
Martin Luther

Martin Luther (10 November 1483 – 18 February 1546) was a German monk,[4] theologian, university professor, priest, father of Protestantism,[5][6][7][8] and church reformer whose ideas started the Protestant Reformation.[9]

Luther taught that salvation is a free gift of God and received only through true faith in Jesus as redeemer from sin. His theology challenged the authority of the papacy by adducing the Bible as the only infallible source of Christian doctrine[10] and countering "sacerdotalism" in the doctrine that all baptized Christians are a universal priesthood.[11]

Guitarhero

Acts 11:26 (KJV)
And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

"followers of the Christ" which has evolved from a Greek acronym for the Hebrew title of the Messiah. That's what we have evolved in English. That doesn't quite explain why catholics generally today say "catholic" (or 'universal' ..now split up into various denominations) ." It's for historical reasons past the formation of the first "church" which was really a synagogue and evolved into a "church" once they were kicked out the synagogue. I can only giving a first-hand perspective on why we catholics say "catholic" and not "christian" oftentimes. I know the cut-off point in history but it's up to protestants themselves to tell their side of the story. I cannot speak for them out of respect.. But if someone asked about our side, I'll give our explanation as we see it evolving from historical perspectives. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Laela

Wikipedia:
A Christian (pronounced /ˈkrɪstʃən/ ( listen)) is a person who adheres to Christianity, an Abrahamic, monotheistic religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, who Christians believe is the Messiah (the Christ in Greek-derived terminology) prophesied in the Hebrew Bible, and the son of God.[1][2] Most Christians believe in the doctrine of the Trinity ("tri-unity"), a description of God as Father, as Son, and as Holy Spirit. This includes Roman Catholicism, Orthodox Christianity, and the vast majority of Protestantism. A minority are Nontrinitarians.

The term "Christian" is also used adjectivally to describe anything associated with Christianity, or in a proverbial sense "all that is noble, and good, and Christ-like."[3]

In John 15: 1-5, Jesus says this:
1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Last edited:

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
"followers of the Christ" which has evolved from a Greek acronym for the Hebrew title of the Messiah. That's what we have evolved in English. That doesn't quite explain why catholics generally today say "catholic" (or 'universal' ..now split up into various denominations) ." It's for historical reasons past the formation of the first "church" which was really a synagogue and evolved into a "church" once they were kicked out the synagogue. I can only giving a first-hand perspective on why we catholics say "catholic" and not "christian" oftentimes. I know the cut-off point in history but it's up to protestants themselves to tell their side of the story. I cannot speak for them out of respect.. But if someone asked about our side, I'll give our explanation as we see it evolving from historical perspectives. Hope that helps.
The early church met in homes or single-room buildings for years due to persecution. When the apostles went to the synagogues, it was to spread the Gospel, not to step up a structure. I suggest everyone do some more research into areas outside of popular, mainstream knowledge. People would be shock at what His Spirit will reveal to them.

Keep in mind that some of us do not consider ourselves to be Protestant, but merely followers of Christ or Bible-believing, Spirit-filled Christians. Protestantism is "Catholicism-lite" if we truly analogize it.

Guitarhero

The early church met in homes or single-room buildings for years due to persecution. When the apostles went to the synagogues, it was to spread the Gospel, not to step up a structure. I suggest everyone do some more research into areas outside of popular, mainstream knowledge. People would be shock at what His Spirit will reveal to them.

Keep in mind that some of us do not consider ourselves to be Protestant, but merely followers of Christ or Bible-believing, Spirit-filled Christians. Protestantism is "Catholicism-lite" if we truly analogize it.

Thank you, Nymphe. I fully comprehend. But it's like this, someone asks "what do Black people feel regarding an issue" and everybody else not Black responds with what they think the Black person knows, is taught and feels. I dunno, maybe I'm in error and if so, I apologize, but if someone asks to know something about a person, I wish to get it from the source. That's the only reason I posted. I'm not ashamed to be a catholic and if somebody asks, I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't know, I'll go find that answer. Thank G-d this CF is for all people, on matter the denominations, right? It's truly a learning experience that I actually cherish while I learn how others think, feel, worship, form doctrine etc. I wouldn't have it any other way (to get my info).:yep::Rose:

dicapr

I think that maybe some Catholics define their religon differently that other Christ-followers (since they do not consider themselves chrisitians). For a Chrisitain, our religion revolves around following Christ and worshipping the Father. Catholics define their religion by their church and how they worship rather than by who they worship? If your Religion is Christ- if you still worship, follow, and believe in him- no matter how or where you worship your religion has not changed.