Does cost matter?

Belle Du Jour

Ladies, do you think that using a salon quality conditioner is better and more cost effective in the long run (in terms of quality) than using el cheapo deep conditioner (i.e. cholesterol, dominican conditioners, etc)? Or is there room in you routine for both? :confused:

I called Curve and asked them to recommend products one of the sisters said Kera Care.

I'm thinking about tweaking my routine by using the cheap deep conditioners as a pre-shampoo treatments and using Kera Care or Nexxus as deep conditioners. (I'll save the Suave and V05 for conditioner washes). What do y'all think?

Hello Classi,
I think u will be just fine! My answer is there is room for both for me. The only conditioner I MUST use is Salerm Wheat Germ. But I keep many conditioners on hand and have quite a few cheapies.

I think that it depends on the individual. For me, cheapies just don't work :ohwell:

I love my salon products [Nexxus]. I will never return to cheaper alternatives. The only other brand I am considering is KeraCare.

I'm sort of a cheapo when it comes to buying things, but it has be of good quality. I know there are several products out in the market that do great things for hair and have a relatively low price. ;) Higher price does not always mean better quality.

I believe in salon quality products, just b/c the ingredients tend to be a bit better and have less hair harmful products. But to me most of the Dominican conditioners are salon quality. I think for use as you've described using something from the drugstore would be fine. I have a host of conditioners (I think I have about 5-6 in my shower right now) and they range from Nexxus Humectress to Nacidit Avocado Rinse (and Cream :look: ) to Salerm Wheatgerm Mask.

There's room enough for both in my routine. I like using cheap conditioners for C/O washes and sometimes as leave-ins (if they're watery enough). I like salon-quality shampoos and deep conditioners, though (w/ the exception of Suave Professional's Humectant conditioner, which works better on my hair than anything by Nexxus (too drying)).

I think that it depends upon the person......right now I am happy with my DDTA and Sedal leave in but I must admit that I pulled out my Sebatians Detangling Milk and I was very pleased.

I've pretty much narrowed down what works on my hair, and the prices of the products range from cheap to not-cheap-but-not-expensive. Higher end products work on my hair too, so if I have some wiggle room in my budget, I'll splurge on the more expensive products.

I'm a middle of the road chick. I have my salon favorites and my cheapie that I use as a clarifier/rinse. VO5 and Suave are not moisturizing for my hair.

Thanks for the responses :)

I ordered the Kera Care and they're also sending me samples, so we'll see. . .I may also order some of the Dominican Conditioners on Sickbay. I'm on the quest to find a good deep conditioner!

classimami713 said:
Thanks for the responses :)

I ordered the Kera Care and they're also sending me samples, so we'll see. . .I may also order some of the Dominican Conditioners on Sickbay. I'm on the quest to find a good deep conditioner!

Good luck Classimami713! For me it took a while because I was buying whatever was hyped up for the day. I actually had to read the ingredient list to see what works for me.

I am definately one of those who believe that just because its more expensive doesn't make it better.
I use what gives me the best results for my hair regardless of price.
(e.g)I have tried the Kerastase line and felt Loreals Vive care drugstore line was better. They have the same ingredients.
I was a true addict of Nexxus Humectress and Keraphix until I tried Neutrogena triple moisture conditioner.
I use to pay $14 for a little ounce of Sebastian polish. NTM serum costs $7 and in a much bigger bottle and is amazing.

I forgot to mentioned that I have a small collection of styling and moisturizing products that are "cheap" but I love them. Namely Fantasia IC and Luster's S-Curl No Drip activator.

I'm sort of a cheapo when it comes to buying things, but it has be of good quality. I know there are several products out in the market that do great things for hair and have a relatively low price. Higher price does not always mean better quality.

I agree.
Whatever works for your hair use it. Whether is cheap or high priced.
I personally buy low cost hair products,they work fine on my hair.
It doesnt make too much sense to me to buy a $20 bottle of shampoo or conditioner when 90% of it will go down the drain. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Hey girl, if it works for you, go with it. I'm a product snob now, but before my hair starting breakin' off, I was all about the Herbal Essences.

I have room for both in my regimen and this has been working fine for me even though I have more salon brand of product mostly bought on sale or half price.

Use what works best for you. I was using AVEDA Brilliant line like crazy as well as ALTERNA until I got tired of my hair breaking off and not growing. I love PANTENE Instant COnditioner Spray - Leave On / Detangler & the Volumizing Hair Spray as opposed to AVEDA's hair spray. Even though AVEDA & ALTERNA's lines are trendy and high priced...there are only 2 products that I keep as a staple...HANG STRAIGHT and ANTI HUMECTANT POMADE.

It really depends on your hair. I spent a TON of money on Aveda and my hair felt like crap no matter which of the products I used and I tried everything! Spent a bundle on REDKEN, KeraCare, Nexxus, and other expensive salon brands and none of them worked as well on my hair as Head & Shoulders, Pantene, Dabur or Suave.

whatever works for me , I'll use . For instance I love my dominican conditioners which are fairly low in price, but my shampoo (dudley's moisturizing shamp) is a must and is also more expensive.

For everyday conditioner washes- i use aussie conditioners and they work fabulous. for deep conditioning, i use cholesterol and i ordered some dominican conditioners that i want to try- they were on sale for cheap at sickbay so i couldn't resist it.

There are too many opinions both ways!

Just kidding :lol:

I appreciate the feedback. I'm just frustrated. Now, I'm even more confused! I feel like I have no staple products, and I know that consistency is key. I'm hoping the Kera Care will agree with my hair, so I can be done with looking for a deep conditioner. The search continues. . .

I don't mind cheap conditioners like Dominicans brands but most drugstore products just don't seem to like my hair.

Last edited:
jasmin said:
I don't mind cheap like Dominicans products but most drugstore products just don't seem to like my hair.

For me, the drugstore conditioners are only good for conditioner washes. I tried the Garnier Fructis Hair Mask as a deep conditioner, and my hair just laughed at it!

:( Sorry you're confused.

I also use both cheapies and salon brands. I use cheapies when I will need MORE of the product and use my salon brands sparingly so that they last (because of cost). But I do feel that salon brands have something up on cheaper products. Not that NO cheap products can be good - I just think you get more LONG TERM benefit from better quality, pricier salon brands - because as someone said, while some of the extra cost is just packaging etc...it also has to do with the QUALITY of the ingredients. A cheapie may have ingredients in common with salon brands....but it's like buying food from a health food store. You can get chicken in the super market, and you can buy free range from the health food store - it's all chicken, and it's all edible - but one is definitely more nutritious than the other, because of where it comes from...how it's cultivated - you see?

Cheap brands are great for making you hair feel nice right NOW, but pricier brands, IMO, improve the feel and quality of your hair from the inside out, over time. But that's not a hrad and fast rule. Some drugstore (and even DOLLAR store) brands CAN do the same. IMO they are just fewer and further between.

Hope that helps. :)

I would definitely say to try as many samples of products as you can until you find the ones that work for you. And when you find them - cheap or no - use those - no matter the cost. :) It's all trial and error and unfortunately our hair has to be the guinea pig in these kinds of endeavors. :ohwell:

Tracy said:
:( Sorry you're confused.

I also use both cheapies and salon brands. I use cheapies when I will need MORE of the product and use my salon brands sparingly so that they last (because of cost). But I do feel that salon brands have something up on cheaper products. Not that NO cheap products can be good - I just think you get more LONG TERM benefit from better quality, pricier salon brands - because as someone said, while some of the extra cost is just packaging etc...it also has to do with the QUALITY of the ingredients. A cheapie may have ingredients in common with salon brands....but it's like buying food from a health food store. You can get chicken in the super market, and you can buy free range from the health food store - it's all chicken, and it's all edible - but one is definitely more nutritious than the other, because of where it comes from...how it's cultivated - you see?

Cheap brands are great for making you hair feel nice right NOW, but pricier brands, IMO, improve the feel and quality of your hair from the inside out, over time. But that's not a hrad and fast rule. Some drugstore (and even DOLLAR store) brands CAN do the same. IMO they are just fewer and further between.

Hope that helps. :)

I would definitely say to try as many samples of products as you can until you find the ones that work for you. And when you find them - cheap or no - use those - no matter the cost. :) It's all trial and error and unfortunately our hair has to be the guinea pig in these kinds of endeavors. :ohwell:

I disagree.
Of course salons want you to think salon type products are better.
The prestige OF THAT. Their not going to recommend you use Loreal conditioner for $3.99 and citre shine shampoo for $5 after they just charged you $80-$100 to do your hair, You'll look at them like their crazy..lol.
Salon products have many bad formulations as do drugstore products.
A quote from Paula's book
"Expensive hair care products are not better than inexpensive ones. Women who spend more money on hair care products do not have better hair then women who buy drugstore products. Many women feel that if they buy salon products they will achieve a "salon look" for their hair. In many ways thats a logical conclusion. Most of us know that after a salon appointment we usually look better. A good hair stylist can make beautiful looking hair.
Most of the more expensive salon products are either made by the same companies that make the drugstore products, or the same basic contract manufacturer uses the same ingredients to make salon lines as well as many of the drugstore lines.
LOREAL owns
REDKEN, MATRIX, KERASTASE, SOFTSHEEN CARSON GARNIER FRUCTIS

PROCTOR & GAMBLE owns
AUSSIE, CLAIROL, INFUSIUM 23, PANTENE, THERMACARE, PHYSIQUE, SEBASTIAN

Well - to each his own, of course. :look:

From personal experience, I know that salon products are more beneficial on my hair than drugstore brands. And notwithstanding the fact that the larger companies own some of the drugstore brands under different names, the very reason they can charge less for drugstore brands despite the fact that the ingredient lists read the same, is that the ingredients themselves - although the same - are inferior.

This is not, as I mentioned in my post, true in ALL cases, for ALL people and ALL heads of hair - but it is a decent rule of thumb for a lot of people - particularly those with chemically processed hair.

Incidentally - I'm also not a fan of Paula Begoun. She's a little too categorical for me. :crazy: Her review of products is based simply on what the textbook "properties" of a given ingredient are supposed to be, and ends there, and does not account for the sheer millions of people I'm sure, who used Suave, used Biolage and preferred the salon brand because ther hair felt and looked better. Her approach to the cosmetics industry, I agree, is refreshing, and certainly gives one something to coutner balance the marketing machine that is the cosmetics industry - but she is by no means the authority on either personal hair preferences, or what works specifically for ETHNIC hair (look at how mediocre her review was of Wanakee products? And despite all she said - there are STILL black women all over America who took Wanakee's approach and her products and now have healthy hair snaking down their back). So while I see your point, I stand by mine. :)

Last edited:
Tracy said:
Well - to each his own, of course. :look:

Incidentally - I'm also not a fan of Paula Begoun. So while I see your point, I stand by mine. :)

Definately, I see your point as well but stand by mine.
How dare you not like Paula, I LOVE her..lol.:lol:

Back