Does diet change your curl pattern?

lijm83

In September 2010 I decided I was going to get healthy. So I changed my diet, no sweets, junkfood instead vegetables and fruits. I felt/feel less tired and more energetic. I also lost about 27 lbs. I was looking at pictures before my diet change and comparing it to how my hair looks and feels now.
It looks like my curls/kinks are growing in bigger/looser and I start to notice babyhairs along my edges.

What I would like to know now is, did any of you experience a difference in pattern after changing up your diet? Am I just hallucinating? Is this due to my hair being longer now?

I added a pic of my edges 1-12-2011 is with no product or manipulation, the sides aren't stretched. 8-15-2010 is with gel and brushing. I haven't used chemicals since 06-13-2009.

Attachments

• Edges.jpg
    Edges.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 97

iri9109

i think that diet and exercise helps because your body is functioning at its best and your getting the nutrients you need to so that your hair is at is maximum potential...i dont think it necessarily changed your curl pattern, but your true curl pattern/texture is coming through because your overall health (including hair) has improved.

lijm83

i think that diet and exercise helps because your body is functioning at its best and your getting the nutrients you need to so that your hair is at is maximum potential...i dont think it necessarily changed your curl pattern, but your true curl pattern/texture is coming through because your overall health (including hair) has improved.

Thank you for responding. It's sounds rational and I was thinking along those lines as well, but I convinced myself I was hallucinating :look:

NicWhite

I totally agree with this statement. There are a lot of people who don't believe that a good diet contributes to strong healthy hair. I have heard people say that they "ate well" or "exercised" for 2 months (or less) and it did not affect there hair. Well that's not a long enough time period. People typically won't notice the changes for 3-6 months.

Keep up the good work. This is inspiring. :yep: ETA: Patience is the key.

Last edited:

lijm83

I totally agree with this statement. There are a lot of people who don't believe that a good diet contributes to strong healthy hair. I have heard people say that they "ate well" or "exercised" for 2 months (or less) and it did not affect there hair. Well that's not a long enough time period. People typically won't notice the changes for 3-6 months.

Keep up the good work. This is inspiring. :yep: ETA: Patience is the key.

I have been eating healthy for about 4 months so that's in line with what I'm seeing right now:yep:

I will it's easier then I thought it would be :)

bride91501

I definitely agree with Iri. I work out hard 5-6 days per week, and I've also started trying to eat much cleaner in the last year or so. While I haven't seen a significant change in my curl pattern, I think both have contibuted to the great progress I've seen in both the health and length of my hair.

lijm83

I definitely agree with Iri. I work out hard 5-6 days per week, and I've also started trying to eat much cleaner in the last year or so. While I haven't seen a significant change in my curl pattern, I think both have contibuted to the great progress I've seen in both the health and length of my hair.

That's indeed great progress!