Votes: 9 9.3%
  • My diet is lacking: My hair is thriving

Votes: 39 40.2%
  • My diet is lacking: My hair isn't doing so great

Votes: 14 14.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MystiqueBabe

I can honestly say it doesn't make a difference for me. I practically live off of fried food, sodas, sweets, etc and my hair is in good shape. I will admit I eat a lot of protein (what hair is made of I think) like chicken & eggs. I also don't drink water as often as I am supposed to and my hair has not suffered from it. The only time my hair has suffered was due improper handling, it has nothing to do with my diet.

prospurr4

Yes, it does for me!

The most noticeable impact of my diet on my hair occurred recently. In January, I added a LOT more fruits and veggies to my diet. Interestingly enough, now my hair is more resistant to the same relaxer that I've used for years. :perplexed

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I think some of it is genetics. Here's a great example in my family:

My sister eats nothing but deep fried food or food fried in animal fats. Mostly meat and potato. No fish. Veggies are usually out of a can if she eats them at all. Her hair has always been ~BSL. She takes after my mom with thick, course strands. Nothing much phases it.

Me? I eat fresh fruit and veg smoothies almost daily. Fish. A healthy range of meats. I rarely eat deep fried. Mostly I sautee in EVOO or broil. I buy 75% organic foods and eat salads like it's going out of style. Lots of grains, fruits, and seeds. Unfortunately, I take after my dad with very very fine, brittle strands. It breaks, splits, and SKs like nobody's business. I've hovered between EL and NL all my life. I had almost full SL once, maybe twice.

Water does help keep it moist internally and the overall quality of my hair is decent. It's the genetics that slips me up. Also, like a PP said, said lots of times it's from improper handling too (chemicals, dyes, rough combing).

Last edited:

daviine

MystiqueBabe said:
I can honestly say it doesn't make a difference for me. I practically live off of fried food, sodas, sweets, etc and my hair is in good shape. I will admit I eat a lot of protein (what hair is made of I think) like chicken & eggs. I also don't drink water as often as I am supposed to and my hair has not suffered from it. The only time my hair has suffered was due improper handling, it has nothing to do with my diet.

I don't know how my diet affects my hair but I swear I could've written this post word for word.

I hope to change my diet for the better and if I do it would be great if my skin and hair improved as well.

My hair is just average. I just want it to grow faster so I can do the big chop!

Aviah

My hair is not at its longest, but definitely at its most healthy. Less splits and SSKs, decent ends, and very little/ no heat damage. I think the growth is stunted from a not-so-great diet though.

Tiye

I think if you don't eat well but still have healthy hair then it's because 1) you're getting more nutrients than you think from your diet, and 2) hair is dead protein so it's not going to be the same one on one correlation with diet like your skin. So it would be more surprising to me if anyone posts that they have a bad diet and great skin. 3) Sometimes hair quality is based on external factors. You can damage healthy hair with heat, chemicals, and if you don't handle it properly.