Does long hair on kids, mean long hair as adults?

skegeesmb

I've just posted this on the naturalhairgarden board, so I figure I ask here as well.

I've been wondering this for awhile now, so I guess this is a good place to start with the question. As a kid, I had hair that was starting to near mid-back length (I took one of my long ponytails in the back and hacked it off with scissors, but that's another story).

I've always wondered if it were possible to grow my hair that length or longer now as an adult. I've been wondering this because when I was a kid I was little and midback length hair is now about 3 inches past shoulderlength for me now. So does it seem that our hair is longer as little kids because we are shorter? This question has always been in the back of my head.

Look at me, I'm just rambling my idle thoughts.

pebbles

Hi skeegeesmb,

Excellent question. I would be inclined to say that if you had long hair as a child, and your hair has not suffered any major damage, there's no reason for you not to have long hair as an adult. It may seem that a little girl, because she's short, has long hair if it's down her back, but I think if you take that same length of hair from a child and put it on an adult, that still amounts to long hair. I have a cousine of mine who's 5 year old daughter has hair to her waist. If I had her exact hair length, I would be past bra strap length, easily.

Since you are taking such good care of your hair, and you had mid-back length as a child, I think you can definately have it again. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

daviine

I would hope so because I had long hair as a child but Pebbles just messed me all up with her little spin on it!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Valerie

I never had long hair as a child, my hair was thick, but it was always midlength, (just below my chin), until I got a curly perm, then it grew 3 inches past my shoulders. As children, our parents were not necessary the best people to look after our hair.
Even some of our hairdressers, had not knowledge of looking after our hair. At the time, many of us were unaware of hair length etc. My parents came from Guyanna where it is hot, so they washed their hair every three weeks and daily rinsing, let allow washing was unheard of. The water in the West Indies, Guyana etc, was a lot softner, in the UK it is harder, again causing your hair to break, we were not skilled in combing our hair properly. Some of us needed that extra nutrients etc. So although our hair may be thick, my mother used castor oil, it didn't gain any length. My daughter on the other hand has naturally long hair, she is 14 and a half and she had shoulder length, hair as a little girl, it was very thick and now it still shoulder length, but when stretched, it is bra length. But the funny thing, is that I have more hair now at the age of nearly 42, then I did as a little girl, my hair is a lot thicker, it is very thick. From hairline to hair end, it measures 10 inches. Because now I have learnt how to look after my hair, I have stopped perming, I rinse daily (which I feel is the key to my retention of length). I have stopped blow drying and I have learned to comb my hair when it is damp, and I have changed my eating habits, I exercise more often and I take supplements and I think this have contributed to the health of it. I think if you have long hair as a child, you can still get even longer hair as an adult, however if you have short hair as a child, you can still get long hair to whatever length as a adult.

hairfanatic

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
So does it seem that our hair is longer as little kids because we are shorter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi skegeesmb,

Now that's a good question and one I never thought about.

I also remember having very long hair as a child. When I was young, my mother constantly kept my hair braided. I really do think that the less manipulation that my mother put on my hair had a lot to do with it is being long ...I just wished she had known to wash my hair more often because that Sulfer 8 smell that I had to go to school with everyday just wasn't cool. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I do believe you can grow your hair long. I can tell you that your hair IS growing. It's longer than it was before. I think the main thing is keeping the ends from breaking, something I really have to work hard to do. I was also like you wondering if I could ever grow my hair long again. I have noticed that since I am natural, my hair is a lot stronger. Since my hair breaks less, I can see more growth. If I wasn't so scissor happy, my length would be great! /images/graemlins/grin.gif