What if you never had long hair as a child?

TootiePie

^^ I agree. My mom has bad hair practices and she taught them to us. She has never been past SL either. I have BC'd and grown a whole new head of hair and she still SL. I try to teach her what I have learned about hair and she won't listen. I have been begging her to at least stretch her relaxers but she is happy slapping some on her edges every three weeks. LOL she keeps wondering why her bangs are so sparse.. I just nod and listen at this point.

tenderheaded

As a child, I'd say my hair was shoulder, a little beyond. My mom was not afraid to "fry" with a straitening comb on the hot stove. Her hair was between APL and BSL. Both grannies had BSL gray braids. I never thought much about it then.

My tightly coiled, relaxed hair has some strands dangling "in the valley". I'm still amazed that my bangs reach the top of my rib cage! I wash weekly, pre-poo, and deep con religiously. Argan oil is my best friend.

Ash25

I have 4b hair and never had long hair as a child. My mom gave my a perm at 6 yrs old. Before I went to the salon my hair was about 6 inches long...when I left it was 3 1/2 inches long :perplexed Burned all my freakin hair off!!!

Since that time I've had other set backs. When I was relaxed my hair was about 1.5 inches shy of APL...then my hair dresser over processed my hair on one side and it started breaking badly, so I cut it into a cute bob.

Now that I'm natural and after a few more self imposed set backs...my hair is growing in nicely. The back is about 1 cm longer than APL lol...yup I'm claiming.... it!

oh...im 5'3 1/4 of an inch. Now its time to get the front & crown caught up!

Last edited:

Son26

So if your hair is longer than APL now how long was it when you were a girl?

My hair is 1.5 - 2 inches away from BSL. When I was a kid my hair was always short and dry (damaged). It never grew past neck length.

What is your hair type?

Not sure....I think it is one of the 4s.

Have any of your immediate family members (sister, mom) had long hair?

No...my mom always had really short hair (ear length).

The key for me is protective styling and keeping my ends moist.

BlkOnyx488

My hair was never longer than neck length. since being on this hair journey i have learned that my hair is overly prone to split ends, even when i do nothing to it for months at a time but leave it braided up. This spits are insane. I am just hitting APL finally after a 5 year journey and two setbacks. I will be happy with Full BSL when i get there.

yodie

I have 4b hair and never had long hair as a child. My mom gave my a perm at 6 yrs old. Before I went to the salon my hair was about 6 inches long...when I left it was 3 1/2 inches long :perplexed Burned all my freakin hair off!!!

Since that time I've had other set backs. When I was relaxed my hair was about 1.5 inches shy of APL...then my hair dresser over processed my hair on one side and it started breaking badly, so I cut it into a cute bob.

Now that I'm natural and after a few more self imposed set backs...my hair is growing in nicely. The back is about 1 cm longer than APL lol...yup I'm claiming.... it!

oh...im 5'3 1/4 of an inch. Now its time to get the front & crown caught up!

My hair was never longer than neck length. since being on this hair journey i have learned that my hair is overly prone to split ends, even when i do nothing to it for months at a time but leave it braided up. This spits are insane. I am just hitting APL finally after a 5 year journey and two setbacks. I will be happy with Full BSL when i get there.

What did you ladies both do to get over the hurdle and gain length?
It's been years for me and I'm still not where I'd like to be. I live at neck length. Do you ladies primarily wear protective styles? Do you flat iron often?

BlkOnyx488 I'm prone to splits as well. How did you solve this issue?