Does MegaTek cause cancer? Is that why....

4bslbound

prettybyrd

OP, do you know if there are any concerns about the ingredients besides parabens and DMDM hydantoin? Unfortunately, those two ingredients are in nearly all shampoos and conditioners.

petitefille

I just ordered a new bottle of Mega Tek :/ I was planning on using as directed, ie. leave on hair for a protein conditioner and wash out, rather than applying it to my scalp and leaving it in.

I've never heard this before, I'll let someone else weigh in on it...

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
The manufacturers went from making it for humans to making it for animals?

I think you have things mixed up.

From my recollection, the company started off making it for animals, and then decided to start marketing it towards humans in nice "luxury" looking packaging, a fancy new name and an increased price tag.

Last edited:

Platinum

If I remember correctly, there was a poster here name Rhapsody Blue (I may have spelled her name wrong) that posted in the Megatek challenges back in '09. She said that Megatek was RECOMMENDED for cancer patients, she was in remission and was using the product with no side effects and getting good growth.

Sent from the 18 wheeler that delivers your hair products, computer, and smart phone.

Lute

The luxury line is called Ovation, :) I still have the bottle. They ask you to wash it out because it has a high protein content. However some ladies use it on their scalp mixed with an oil to minimize its effects.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
@SimJam- Hey lady!!
Do you have a recommendation for a good paraben free body moisturizer? My face regimen is solid.. but once I'm out of my current body lotion, I'll be looking for a new one.

SimJam

yaya24 hay !!!

Ive been using coconut oil and or shea butter mix (shea butter, coconut, olive, avocado oils) for about 2 years now. I scent with essential oils.

4bslbound

I think you have things mixed up.

From my recollection, the company started off making it for animals, and then decided to start marketing it towards humans in nice "luxury" looking packaging, a fancy new name and an increased price tag.

yaya24
No I did not. You're talking about OCT. From what I remember, MegaTek was originally designed for hairloss patients, but switched it to horses before it went on the market. When people asked why they recieved no response. (I did thorough research on this because I used it, but am just seeing these links that I added in the original post.)

4bslbound

SimJam, I am now wondering if (since black women generally wash less frequently and use more leave-ins daily) there is a correlation with these ingredients and breast cancer. Black women in America are more likely to be diagnosed with the more aggressive and deadly type of breast cancer. It may be a stretch, but I do wonder.

I also try to use only shea butter, coconut oil, or other all natural moisturizers for my body.

4bslbound

If I remember correctly, there was a poster here name Rhapsody Blue (I may have spelled her name wrong) that posted in the Megatek challenges back in '09. She said that Megatek was RECOMMENDED for cancer patients, she was in remission and was using the product with no side effects and getting good growth.

Sent from the 18 wheeler that delivers your hair products, computer, and smart phone.
Platinum
Yes, this is what I was thinking of. It was originally designed(and apparently used) for humans. But no explanation was given as to why it was halted. Also, when it comes to carcinogens, it may take years to know if something is having an adverse affect on the body (unfortunately).

Additionally, Some people msy choose to still use it just like other products with those ingredients, but may decide to stop if pregnant or something along those lines. I posted this so even if we DO still use it, we use it as directed, with caution, and of course at our own risk.

Nonie

@Platinum
Yes, this is what I was thinking of. It was originally designed(and apparently used) for humans. But no explanation was given as to why it was halted. Also, when it comes to carcinogens, it may take years to know if something is having an adverse affect on the body (unfortunately).

Additionally, Some people msy choose to still use it just like other products with those ingredients, but may decide to stop if pregnant or something along those lines. I posted this so even if we DO still use it, we use it as directed, with caution, and of course at our own risk.

@4bslbound, why do you think it is no longer sold for humans to use? IIRC, it is very much still being sold to humans. (Yep :yep: http://www.amazon.com/Eqyss-Mega-tek-Rebuilder-Hoof-Mane/dp/B001CCZMMQ) Also you keep saying it was ORIGINALLY made for humans. That is incorrect. It was ORIGINALLY made for animals and then later marketed for human use and it still is.

As far as cancer is concerned, I think diet is more to blame than hair products for the body succumbing to disease. Also according to CDC white women have a greater incidence of breast cancer than black women, but blacks die of it more than whites. The idea that our washing less and using more leave-ins may be why more black women die of cancer doesn't add up--coz whites seem to have more cases of it than blacks.

Incidentally, everything causes cancer. Grilling food causes carcinogens; sitting out in the sun is good for you as it helps your skin make vitamin D so that you can be better protected against cancer, but sitting in the sun exposes you to UV rays which will cause cancer; eating pickled vegetables causes cancer of the esophagus; drinking red wine prevents cancer by providing your body with reservatrol a great antioxidant, but drink too much of it and you will get cancer; talcum powder (even without asbestos) may cause ovarian cancer; exposure to chemicals in the name of beauty will cause cancer (eg formaldehyde in BKT heat straightening for example); some jewelry like the Miley Cyrus bracelets have carcinogesn; even just living in an old house with asbestos in the insulation is cancer causing; heck, even shampoos we would think were safe because they are for babies have been found to have carcinogens (eg Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo)...etc

Everyday something new is found that causes cancer. It would drive one mad trying to keep up. So I guess if you already have alternatives, go ahead and use them. But since the environment is full of carcinogens and you're not going to live in a bubble, you can't avoid them. So methinks it doesn't do to panic; I say moderation is key.

Last edited:

4bslbound

Nonie. I am referring to the fact that it is marketed with the intention of use for animals. What I meant was that The intended market was changed. I have a bottle and It was clearly sold to me so I'm not saying you can't buy it and use it for whatever you want. I read the bottle and the directions for use is for animals. Not humans. OCT is marketed(keyword) for humans.:yep:

Sure, you are correct about the carcinogens you've named. I do not use Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo, I eat grilled meats that haven't been marinated only in moderation, stopped using talcum powder for the same reason you mentioned above and do not eat pickled veggies :). I dont believe avoiding these things make me obsessed or overly cncerned, just an informed consumer. I know what I'm putting in/on my body.

It is true more white women get diagnosed with BC, but (as I stated) more black women are diagnosed with the more aggressive form and at younger ages. I have seen this statistic over and over again, but ou can see for yourself at the following link:

http://www.blackwomenshealth.org/issues-and-resources/black-women-and-breast-cancer/

Again, I said it was a stretch that there could be a correlation, a very farfetched one........I didn't intend for it to be a debated topic. Just something that crossed my mind.

My goal was not to get anyone paranoid or panicky. BUT we live in a world with more advanced technology and yet higher and higher rates of cancer. Tis true ur world already has so many carcinogens such as those we are exposed to while driving a car. This is why I choose to be more informed and moderate about what I consume or use. How can you use it in moderation of you don't even know it's a potential hazard?

It's not wise to obsess, but there is no harm in being informed. Take it or leave it.

If this served as useful in some way to one or two sisters, my purpose was served

Last edited:

metro_qt

Op, I hope this helps you. 4bslbound

I used Megatek for years because it was a product SAFE for animals because it uses HUMAN GRADE PRODUCTS AND INGREDIENTS.

EQyss was established in 1991. The founder had a desire to provide and manufacture The finest grooming products available for horses and pets. In his research, he found that the products available for horse and pet owners were products with questionable ingredients, and no requirements to even disclose the ingredients to the public. After learning what was in the products he and his family had been buying to use on their own pets and horses for years, he decided to make human quality product available for those who truly love their companion animals. Products with the finest ingredients without risk of side effects or toxicity. After much research and development, the perfect formulas, human salon-quality formulas, were delivered to the market. To this day, you will find that they are the finest products available for horses or pets. When you use an EQyss product, you can feel confident that you are using a product so safe and effective, that you would not hesitate to use it on yourself.

We manufacture cruelty-free, environmentally friendly and above all else, 100% SAFE skin and hair products. We have stuck to these principals for two decades.

Hope this helps

4bslbound

metro_qt thanks:)

I, however won't be using it anymore (as well as other products with formaldehyde releasing ingredients.). But maybe it can help someone else with their decision on how or if they will use it.