Does my hair like no-lye better?

UmSumayyah

Why is it that the part of my hair done with no-lye is straighter and shinier than the part done with lye?
Here is the history of the lye-processed hair:
Feb 5th-first time with lye, (affirm) burned so bad that not all my hair was done, relaxer on hair a total of about 8 minutes
Feb 22nd-re-did re-touch (myself) with motions oil regular, 12 minutes total. Underprocessed.
March 18th- (my friend) re-did retouch with Clairol Textures and Tones lye relaxer in regular, total time about 18 minutes.

All the old hair, that has always been done with African Pride no-lye, is straighter and shinier. /images/graemlins/confused.gif
Does anyone have ANY ideas?
I am tempted to go back to my old box perm...but I thought I read that it was hair suicide to switch from lye to no-lye.
Maybe my hair is just /images/graemlins/nuts.gif

azul11

i am hardly a expert on haircare so i cant really answer yur question but i do know for some ladies here motions didnt really work to well. i think i read somewhere that someone said the affirm was too strong for their hair. but quick question is it wise to do relaxer treatments so close to each other? wouldnt that be harmful to the hair? /images/graemlins/confused.gif God bless you all.

SexyGyrlNY

Girl you are not alone, I was wondering the same thing, the motions oil relaxer did nothing for me (though after using the regular motions relaxer the second time around the outcome was much better-the part of my hair done w/ lye does not seem to be that much different(or greatly improved) than the part of my hair that is done w/ no lye). I was also considering switching back to lye but like you I'm not sure if that is the best thing to do.... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

azul11

i think that it goes to show what works for some may not work for others. i was reading shamboosie's book and the way he was describing the way the no lye is it reminded me of the problems i was having. i decided to try lye and the difference was immense. my hair was shiny and silky. when i washed it it remained that way. although motions oil over time didnt work well i know that the lye was what made the difference. some people do not have problems with no lye so its like that saying if it aint broke dont fix it. many of us switched because we were having problems with the no lye drying our hair and making it look like it reverted when it was wet. if your hair is doing good with no lye then maybe you should stick with what works. /images/graemlins/smile.gif God bless you all.

Kamilla16

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
UmSumayyah said:

All the old hair, that has always been done with African Pride no-lye, is straighter and shinier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know! It's exactly the same for me /images/graemlins/smile.gif African Pride No-Lye is what I currently use now. If it works, why switch?

UmSumayyah

I know, I know, bad! /images/graemlins/naughty.gif
I did a treatment with emergencee (nexxus) a few days after the 1st two underprocessing fiascos. although I got it from the CVS and in light of recent discoveries, who really knows if I was using nexxus or some fake. After the last time I used a packet of the ION reconstructor.
And I have been hot oiling and ORS hair mayoing once a week, with conditioner washes and post wash hot oil once a week.

HOTCHOCOLATE

I'm Mizani No lye. I was thinking of changing to lye since so many of the ppl on this board are, but I've never had a problem with no lye. I've decided to continue no lye and add olive oil to reduce the drying effect.

UmSumayyah, put more space between those relaxers /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

UmSumayyah

Don't worry, this time I am going to go AT LEAST 6 weeks before trying again. Maybe even 12 weeks. I don't know if I should try a "super" strength next time or just leave the regular on longer.
Also I might get the revlon realistic. I wanted to pick it up in the BSS but when I read the back it had instructions for some other steps, that were not sold in the store. So I put it back on the shelf and picked up the clairol.
(on another note I went to the revlon website to read up on the realistic relaxer and they don't even have it listed as a product! and I looked all over that site)
This is very odd though. It's not getting straight really, and it doesn't shine like the rest of the hair. I think Dh is started to think I am /images/graemlins/nuts.gif. After every time he looks at me and says "I don't see a difference."
Like I said I am scared to switch back to no-lye because I thought I read you are sure to break your hair off that way. I may only have chin-length hair but I would still /images/graemlins/cry3.gif if it all broke off.

beana3

stick with what works for you... Motions oil relaxers were crap in my hair... the reg motions relaxer in mild was okay in my hair and i never noticed any problems with it. HTH

jazzyfunknastee

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
beana3 said:
Motions oil relaxers were crap in my hair... the reg motions relaxer in mild was okay in my hair and i never noticed any problems with it. HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Motions was just all around nasty for me. The oil kind was good for non-burning and did get me straight but after one wash the hair looked like it was never relaxed and I had to flat iron it straight. After a while of using the regular, it did the same. In both cases I used Super since I have some hard hair to straighten.