Does our type really correlate with our length? TYPE 4s!

What's your hair type and length?

• 4a and SL

Votes: 42 11.7%
  • 4a and APL

Votes: 42 11.7%
  • 4a and BSL or longer

Votes: 34 9.5%
  • 4a/b and SL

Votes: 72 20.1%
  • 4a/b and APL

Votes: 52 14.5%
  • 4a/b and BSL or longer

Votes: 35 9.8%
  • 4b and SL

Votes: 46 12.8%
  • 4b and APL

Votes: 17 4.7%
  • 4b and BSL or longer

Votes: 18 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

anon123

I
We are all at different points. Some people have been growing their hair out for years, some only for a few months.

We are all ACTIVELY growing our hair out too. In about 6 months, if you polled the same people, you would get different results.

But that's exactly what it's supposed to be. A general survey, a snapshot of what the general population looks like. That's like saying stats on weight across the country don't say anything because people are always losing or gaining weight. They do say something, they say what the population looks like right now. And that's all this is for. Looking across the LHCF population, do we find a current correlation between hair type and length. In 6 months, some people's hair will be longer, but some other people's will be shorter from cutting for style or bc or whatever. It's a continuous cycle.

Mwedsi what's my hair type? I don't know the difference between a b and c. Can you send me a PM and I will vote after because I don't want to skew your results.

PMing you!

Last edited:

Keen

I think hair type correlate with terminal lenght but that is based on how I determine hair type. From seeing how people on this website describe their hair, then I'd have to say no it doesn't correlate. I can't say people are mistyping their hair because we all interperate things different.

tocktick

I meant to vote 4a/b and APL but I voted 4a and APL instead :perplexed. My hair is mainly 4a (according to the Andre system) though. My hair reached a little past APL in about 2 years (Feb 07 - Feb 09) from a short 2.5" TWA. I trimmed a lot within those 2 years too, so I'm sure it would have been longer had I not been so trim-happy.

I cut it back between SPL & APL in May. I voted APL only for the sake of the poll since that's the longest it's been since I've been natural.

mscocoface

Then based on what you are saying if I am understanding correctly, I would say our type does not really correlate with our length.

laurend

I'm 4a/b at mid back. My length is due to low manipulation via detangling with a comb every 4 to 6 weeks.

ajoyfuljoy

4a relaxed (hope it's OK for me to post). Blunt thick and full at APL but I've been consistently chopping for the past two years and have cut off mostly all my pre-LHCF hair. I'm on the grow and I'm sure I've got great lengths to go to. Ask me in a year and I'll probably be BSL or longer (if I'm still relaxed).

Neith

I disagree with Neith's comment; if you are taking an average; yes, different people may have a different answer at a different time but chances are the next time the poll is taken there will be new people who are growing their hair and I'm willing to bet the results would still probably be the same. Everyone in here has not JUST chopped all their hair off. We have enough 4a/b types on this board to get an average of where our length is and get a good idea as to if there is in fact correlation with hair type.

Most of us have NEVER seen our terminal length anywho. It seems as if a lot of the ladies that are on the board are AT the longest length they've ever been. I really dont think doing a different type of survey would make the results any more accurate.

But that's exactly what it's supposed to be. A general survey, a snapshot of what the general population looks like. That's like saying stats on weight across the country don't say anything because people are always losing or gaining weight. They do say something, they say what the population looks like right now. And that's all this is for. Looking across the LHCF population, do we find a current correlation between hair type and length. In 6 months, some people's hair will be longer, but some other people's will be shorter from cutting for style or bc or whatever. It's a continuous cycle.

Yes, I get that the poll is just a snapshot of what we look like right now. That was my point! :yep:

I wouldn't view the results of this poll as a way to determine whether one group actually has a better "length potential" than the other. Not many in either group are at their terminal length... how would we know who "grows longer hair"?

My bad if you intended this poll JUST to see where we all are at the moment. but it can't prove anything else...

FluffyRed

I think, like you alluded to earlier, mwedzi, that there is more of a correlation with coarseness and length.

Thicker strands stand up better to all the unhealthy stuff most stylists do to AA women's hair.

If I, for example, missed one night out of a six week period sleeping on a silk pillowcase, my stylist would be pulling out the scissors! He could see the damage that immediately.

nubiangoddess3

cnapp... and I'm shoulder length, my hair is natural now , when relax I made it to armpit then cut it all off to go natural...

charmtreese

Yeah I have VERY fine, medium density hair, which means I'm lacking cuticle layers compared to those with coarser hair, therefore it's a struggle to retain length. when you have Very fine hair + Medium density+ 4b (tight tangly fragile zig zags)= retention nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

locabouthair

Yeah I have VERY fine, medium density hair, which means I'm lacking cuticle layers compared to those with coarser hair, therefore it's a struggle to retain length. when you have Very fine hair + Medium density+ 4b (tight tangly fragile zig zags)= retention nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hear A LOT of fine haired ladies said this.

And I'm sorry but as a very coarse 4b I feel if my hair was finer I could retain it better. It is VERY hard for my hair to stay moist because I guess I have too many cuticle layers. My coarse is resistant to almost everything.

I always wished I had fine hair.

Coarse hair is prone to being brittle and dry. IMO.

charmtreese

I hear A LOT of fine haired ladies said this.

And I'm sorry but as a very coarse 4b I feel if my hair was finer I could retain it better. It is VERY hard for my hair to stay moist because I guess I have too many cuticle layers. My coarse is resistant to almost everything.

I always wished I had fine hair.

Coarse hair is prone to being brittle and dry. IMO.

Please dont wish that on yourself. the finer the hair the less cuticle layers you have to protect your cortex. the more cuticle layers the coarser your hair and the stronger your hair. Fine hair cant take much abuse at all...dont even look at too long or it will break off:grin:...fine hair also tends to have porosity and elasticity issues and not retain moisture well.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I voted 4a/b relaxed apl (with about 8 hairs that touch bsl, but I digress.)

I think the poll is a good idea and I think the rationale behind it is sound.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
**hijacking thread**
mwedzi - your hair is so beautiful - you are an inspiration.
**hijaking complete**

carry on...