Does tea rinsing make your hair hard? - Solution

Neith

I got into tea rinsing because I heard that the caffeine in tea helps with hair growth. Also it's a nice, weak acid that will help keep my cuticles shut, which helps with shine and porosity.

Any tea made with tea (black, white, green, oolong) leaves has tannins in it. It's known that tannins can be drying and can behave similar to a protein on hair. Tannins are mostly to blame for the dryness associated with henna.

I noticed that many people complained of dryness when using a tea rinse. While tea doesn't dry my hair out completely, it does take a little softness out of my freshly DC'd hair.

I found a few interesting articles about tea:

To reduce the amount of tannins while still keeping the caffeine level high... steep the teabag for only 30 - 45 seconds.

This will make a less drying rinse.

I was steeping the tea for way too long :wallbash:

I will try this personally in a day or two... just wanted to pass the info on to those who didn't know.

:)

Also,

This probably would apply to coffee for those of you that may use it.

There are tannins in henna and other ayervedic herbs as well. Maybe something similar would go for some of those herbs too.

Adding protein to tea (e.g: milk) engages the tannins in the tea. Tannins are attracted to protein, which may be why they behave similar to a protien treatment for some people. They will act on the protein in your cup and not act on your hair that way. - best for those who are not protein sensitive.

Please excuse any mispellings/punctuation/grammar mistakes, I'm a little hazy, lazy and sleep deprived at the moment. :lol:

Last edited:

Neith

No worries :) Thanks for posting your results later, can’t wait to see the pictures!

I got all my hair supplies ready, went and got my camera positioned, made the tea, deep conditioned, rinsed with the tea, sat down to take some pics...

My camera is out of batteries :angry2:

I hate when that happens! So sorry, no pics.

Anyways, my results were:

Softer feeling hair! :up:

A teeny little bit more coil definition :yep:

and I dunno if it was the tea, or if my hair just grew, but my hair was hanging a little bit more than it usually does.

In any case, I think the tea is helping. :D

I can't wait to see if my hair is softer than usual when it has dried...

but yeah, while I was detangling and twisting my hair it was quite a bit softer than it usually is.

isabella09

I got all my hair supplies ready, went and got my camera positioned, made the tea, deep conditioned, rinsed with the tea, sat down to take some pics...

My camera is out of batteries :angry2:

I hate when that happens! So sorry, no pics.

Anyways, my results were:

Softer feeling hair! :up:

A teeny little bit more coil definition :yep:

and I dunno if it was the tea, or if my hair just grew, but my hair was hanging a little bit more than it usually does.

In any case, I think the tea is helping. :D

I can't wait to see if my hair is softer than usual when it has dried...

but yeah, while I was detangling and twisting my hair it was quite a bit softer than it usually is.

Nooooo, your camera was out of battery, that’s soo annoying when that happens!:wallbash: But I’m so pleased that you were happy with the results - thanks for the review- it sounds really good; love the fact that your hair felt softer with a little more coil definition! If you don't mind me asking, how did your hair feel once dry?
:scratchch this sounds very interesting :grin:

Last edited:

Neith

Nooooo, your camera was out of battery, that’s soo annoying when that happens!:wallbash: But I’m so pleased that you were happy with the results - thanks for the review- it sounds really good; love the fact that your hair felt softer with a little more coil definition! If you don't mind me asking, how did your hair feel once dry?
:scratchch this sounds very interesting :grin:

I'm maaaad late with this response :blush::lol:

After doing it this way a couple more times, I feel like my hair overall is softer than it used to be. :yep: I like the feeling the tea gives now, soft hair, but with a very gentle strengthening/silky affect. Plus the shine is great :)

jamaraa

Many people mix up their henna w/ lightly brewed tea (chamomilie seems to be the fav) in lieu of water.

Just a little FYI for the further use of tea.

poookie

interesting... i know creamer also masks the tannins in the taste of tea, maybe adding cream to your tea rinse will help your hair? :scratchch

isabella09

I'm maaaad late with this response :blush::lol:

After doing it this way a couple more times, I feel like my hair overall is softer than it used to be. :yep: I like the feeling the tea gives now, soft hair, but with a very gentle strengthening/silky affect. Plus the shine is great :)

SKY Breaking News; Woman found dead after waiting weeks for information on a hair care treatment, she was found with her hands clenched to her computer keyboard as it would appear that she remained in her office a number of weeks for said information. Police believe she was awaiting a response from a lady named Neith who, we would like to speak with immediately but judging by the victim, they may be a delay in speaking with the lady.

:lachen::lachen:

No worries at all as I totally forgot about my question :blush:. Wow, what fantastic results, I’m so happy to hear of your success, I will give this a try at some point. Thanks very much for the update :)

Neith

interesting... i know creamer also masks the tannins in the taste of tea, maybe adding cream to your tea rinse will help your hair? :scratchch

Yep :yep: Or just try milk... or any other logical protein source. Tannins bind to protein.

I think protein sensitive people should be cautious though.

Are some people sensitive to tannins and not sensitive to protein though?
:scratchch If there are people like that, I can see how they'd benefit from this.

SKY Breaking News; Woman found dead after waiting weeks for information on a hair care treatment, she was found with her hands clenched to her computer keyboard as it would appear that she remained in her office a number of weeks for said information. Police believe she was awaiting a response from a lady named Neith who, we would like to speak with immediately but judging by the victim, they may be a delay in speaking with the lady.

:lachen::lachen:

No worries at all as I totally forgot about my question :blush:. Wow, what fantastic results, I’m so happy to hear of your success, I will give this a try at some point. Thanks very much for the update :)

:rofl:

I hope it works for you!

poookie

Yep :yep: Or just try milk... or any other logical protein source. Tannins bind to protein.

I think protein sensitive people should be cautious though.

Are some people sensitive to tannins and not sensitive to protein though?
:scratchch If there are people like that, I can see how they'd benefit from this.

awesomeness!! i'm about to whip me up some Hair Chai right now! :mmm: :lick: :lol: thanks so much for the info neith!