EVER TRIED RINSING YOUR HAIR WITH TEA? I DID...

bravenewgirl87

And it was really nice. I read about this on NaturallyCurly.com.
I steeped about 5 tea bags, 3 green tea and two Lipton (black pekoe and orange pekoe mixed).
I boiled it on the stove until it foamed at the top for high potency. I let it cool for about 2 hours. I hopped in the shower and did my regular wash routine. The last thing I did was pour the tea over my head. I didn't squeeze it out and added some conditioner to my hair to hold the tea in. I soaped up and showered off. Rinse the conditioner out. My hair was still soft and detangled well. Nothing was wrong with it. It didn't get any darker but it was still soft. Next time I will lean back into the bowl and soak my hair in the tea or about 5 mins. I liked it and will do it again. Next time, maybe with coffee.

Jynkx

so im not the only one that has been playing with the idea of trying to get some color with coffee? if you do it tell us.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I steeped about 5 tea bags, 3 green tea and two Lipton (black pekoe and orange pekoe mixed).
I boiled it on the stove until it foamed at the top for high potency. I let it cool for about 2 hours. I hopped in the shower and did my regular wash routine. The last thing I did was pour the tea over my head. I didn't squeeze it out and added some conditioner to my hair to hold the tea in. I soaped up and showered off. Rinse the conditioner out. My hair was still soft and detangled well. Nothing was wrong with it. It didn't get any darker but it was still soft. Next time I will lean back into the bowl and soak my hair in the tea or about 5 mins. I liked it and will do it again. Next time, maybe with coffee.
What is the point of a tea rinse?

bravenewgirl87

so im not the only one that has been playing with the idea of trying to get some color with coffee? if you do it tell us.

Yea, I want to too. I've had some heat damage from the sun so my hair color is changing. I'm going to try coffee next or black tea to bye is back black.

CurlyMoo

I tried coffee as my final rinse and it did darken my hair, however I smelled like coffee and my hair felt gritty. :ohwell:

bravenewgirl87

I tried coffee as my final rinse and it did darken my hair, however I smelled like coffee and my hair felt gritty. :ohwell:

You have to strain it reallly well. Put about 3 filters in your coffeemaker. Or, try black tea next time. Or, instant coffee.

Yes, it did work to the other poster who asked. My hair was soft and I had no ill effects. You can also mix it into deep conditioners.

adw425

I did my tea rinse with organic yerba mate today. It is in my hair right now. I let the tea bags steep in the small crock pot for a couple hours then put in a spray bottle and spray on and let marinate in my hair for a few hours. Last week, it was nettle, burdock, rosemary teas. I researched hisbiscus this week, so I found some tea bags at Whole Foods with hibiscus at the first ingredient and other hair friendly ingredients like rosehips, marshmallow and wild cherry bark, both of which are great for softening and conditioning. Among other things, hibiscus will close the hairs' cuticle. Sometimes I just do green tea. I also have/used horsetail tea, chamomile and gotu kola/tulsi tea. I have never just used plain orange pekoe.

P.S. Yerba is full of aminos so I wasn't sure if it would make my hair hard, but I rinsed it out and it is nice, soft and detangled. It is very nice. I let it stay in about two hours.

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

You have to strain it reallly well. Put about 3 filters in your coffeemaker. Or, try black tea next time. Or, instant coffee.

Yes, it did work to the other poster who asked. My hair was soft and I had no ill effects. You can also mix it into deep conditioners.

Ok yes I did use it straight no straining. But it did darken my hair, I loved the color but the grittyness is what turned me off. Thanks I will try this next time.

AKA-Tude

This sounds like such a great idea!!!

I have plenty of green tea.

Gonna try it next hair wash!!!

Thanx!!!

chickory_bee

There is this HUGE book at Vitamin Shoppe and it has remedies etc...well for hair loss/growth there was ACV rinses and Sage TEA!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Hmmm.....i never thought of trying tea. I tried coffee and the smell it left in my hair made me want to hurl. It was so gross. Even after I washed it I could smell it. I would much rather try tea than coffee so I just might try this.

bravenewgirl87

I've noticed a change in my hair since I rinsed it with tea. Its VERY shiny and dark. I imagine what it would be like if I rinsed it with black tea.