Does this happen to anyone else?

vpoetic

Why is it that when you go to a vitamin store the people automatically think that if you are Black you are looking for hair vitamins? I have been wearing my hair natural for the past month, so obviously people can't tell how long my hair is. So when I went to the vit. store and the store clerk came to me and told me about these vits that I should take because they made this Black woman hair grow this many inches in three months. In my head I was like what the hell are you trying to say, but I told him that I was looking for a certain kind of vit. and that I didn't need any hair vitamins and gave him that your stupid look. So after that, that fool left me alone. But does this happen to anyone else?

C.Nicole

Hilarious. He probably sees us up in there all the time,and assumes the only reason we would step in a vit shop is for vanity...His perception is his reality.. but I knew he had to pick his face up after you set him straight, huh?

Cheleigh

I can honestly say that this has never happened to me! :)

I pretty much know what I'm looking for in a health/vitamin store anyway.

Neith

No... never happened to me.

Maybe he has seen an influx of black women coming for hair vitamins.

Hopefully he learned his lesson. It's completely idiotic to ASSUME that any whole group of people are looking for the same thing. It's even more stupid to actually walk up to a customer and say it.

I would have spoken to his manager. I wouldn't have made a big fuss, but I would have let the manager know that this person made me uncomfortable.

Qetesh

never happen to me b4...

they usually jus ask me if i am looking for anything in specific..
then if i know what i am looking for i ask. never any assumptions tho.

that would get under my skin tho

CocoBunny

No... never happened to me.

Maybe he has seen an influx of black women coming for hair vitamins.

Hopefully he learned his lesson. It's completely idiotic to ASSUME that any whole group of people are looking for the same thing. It's even more stupid to actually walk up to a customer and say it.

I would have spoken to his manager. I wouldn't have made a big fuss, but I would have let the manager know that this person made me uncomfortable.

Wow is it really that serious, to tell some ones manager about it. Maybe he was just trying to be helpful.:perplexed It's never happened to me, but if it had I'd have been appreciative and figured they were just attempting to be helpful. Now if I was chubby and he mentioned weight loss vitamins we'd have been boxin! J/K

Neith

Wow is it really that serious, to tell some ones manager about it. Maybe he was just trying to be helpful.:perplexed It's never happened to me, but if it had I'd have been appreciative and figured they were just attempting to be helpful. Now if I was chubby and he mentioned weight loss vitamins we'd have been boxin! J/K

Like I said, I wouldn't have made a big stink about it. I'd calmly mention the incident.

It is bad for business. You don't approach customers like that. Do you see what happened? The customer walked away feeling bad enough to post about it here. Bad feelings, bad publicity.

I just expect people to act like professionals and I expect to have good customer service.

Not to be harsh, but telling a black woman who didn't ask about another black woman's hair is just a dumb thing to do. I hope this employee doesn't run around doing this all day.

vpoetic

LOL, your crazy!!!

Crysdon

Never happened to me. Maybe he was trying to push that brand of vitamins for a commission. I don't see the big deal.

Neith

Never happened to me. Maybe he was trying to push that brand of vitamins for a commission. I don't see the big deal.

I also don't think it's a huge deal and I'm not ready to burn the store down or anything, but I get where the OP is coming from.

It's like walking into a grocery store and an employee coming to show you all the watermelons and fried chicken without you even expressing interest in those items.

MonPetite

Like I said, I wouldn't have made a big stink about it. I'd calmly mention the incident.

It is bad for business. You don't approach customers like that. Do you see what happened? The customer walked away feeling bad enough to post about it here. Bad feelings, bad publicity.

I just expect people to act like professionals and I expect to have good customer service.

Not to be harsh, but telling a black woman who didn't ask about another black woman's hair is just a dumb thing to do. I hope this employee doesn't run around doing this all day.

ITA.

That was insensitive, asinine, and bad for business. I too, would have made a non-dramatic note of the incident, how it could effect business, and my feelings to the manager in private.

~*Tigget*~

Op, I'm sure his intentions weren't to cause discomfort to you. I think you handled it well. Although it was a honest bad judgement on his part, I'm sure you taught him the valuable lesson...assist when asked.

chebaby

exactly, its not that serious. the fact that he ask says that he gets a lot of aa customers looking for those vits. maybe he just decided to inquire before she spoke. its not that uncommon actually.