does this sound about right?

laurend085

I went yesterday to my stylist to get my hair washed and colored. (I got it colored darker to my natural color cuz it was blondish and I didn't think it would look right wit my hair growin out). Anyway I told her I was gonna start stretchin my relaxers and growin my cut out. As I've stated b4 I had an asymmetrical bob. The left side was above my ear the right side about chin length and the back shaved down.

Well after my wash I asked how both sides would get even. She combed some of the right side over to even it a little. There is still about a 2 to 3 inch diff. She said as the shorter side grew in she would gradually trim the other side to make em even. She then began to shave down the back nape where there was some new growth. I asked about that growin in and why she shaved it. She said somethin like she would keep it low until the top grew more to cover it

Does all this sound about right or shoyld I be doin somethin else for my hair to grow?

SmartyPants

Honestly, I'd just let it grow and stick a phony bun on it until I was satisfied with the length of the short side. Then I would get it evened off to match the short side.

msa

Well your hair is going to grow regardless. If you're trying to grow it out, shaving it down and trimming and what not is not the way to go. It sounds like you're letting her make the decisions for you.

I think you should do some research and figure out how you want to grow your hair out and then have her follow your directions. A lot of people do what she said, which is as the shorter side grows out, cut the longer side to even it. But if you don't want to do it that way, don't.

*CherryPie*

Everything sounded right until she started talking about keeping the back shaved until the front catches up.

The way she's doing it, once all of the hair in the front gets even, you're gonna have to shave your whole head to get it even with the back.

......or am I not reading this correctly?

laurend085

Well I do want it to be even but after thinkin about it it seems like it would hinder the process of growth by trimming and shaving. But I don't know how else to make it even and for a second I did think shavin the back would make it easier to manage becausr before I got it washed it was just a nappy mess sittin there. I don't have enough hair to pull back into anything right now but I've gotta find some way to manage it but I don't know how

*CherryPie*

If you want it even, I think you shouldn't shave the back. Let it grow, then even it ALL out.

If you keep the back shaved, when the rest of the hair does grow to a decent length, you are then gonna have to cut the newly grown hair down to the shaved hair.

That sounds like wasting time and hair growth to me.

if you're trying to grow out your hair shaving anf trimming isn't gonna do it. I think you should just let it be and when it grows out to a acceptable length all around if you still want to even it up go ahead

shunemite

I grew out a hair cut like that twice. Once it was a Halle Berry cut, and the next time it was a bob with the back shaved. What I did was, I let the new growth grow in the back for like 2 months, and when it was thick enough (1" long), I got braids. Yes, some of them fell out in the back, but I always wear my hair in a low pony tail parted in the middle so you couldn't see that. When I took the braids down, I now had about 2" of growth in the back. So now it was a little bit longer. I didn't keep cutting. I retouched that, and wore it as a bob and it actually looked fine.

P.S. If your stylist is pushy, just tell her "I don't have any money for a trim this visit. I only brought enough money for a relaxer". She won't trim it.

Desarae

I don't know how important having even, neat looking hair is to you, but it's important to me, especially on short hair.

It makes sense to me to shave the back of you hair back down low to keep a nice appearance until the other hair grows over it. Then at that point, you let it grow in under the rest of the hair. It will grow in even and blunt that way.

I've grown back a short bob over 5 times the exact same way, that way you don't end up with a poofy mullet in the back of your head, and a tail of hair in the back that is longer than the majority of the rest of your hair. The very back is always going to hang longer than the rest of your hair anyway.

Growing back a short cut is tricky, but it sounds like your stylist MAY know what she is doing.

laurend085

Thanks Desirae. As others have stated I don't feel my stylist is being pushy or telling me what to do. One of the main reasons I chose her was because she promotes healthy hair. I have seen her transform women with thinning or damaged hair to having thick beautiful hair. And ur right I do end up with a poofy mullet in the back

charmtreese

I don't know how important having even, neat looking hair is to you, but it's important to me, especially on short hair.

It makes sense to me to shave the back of you hair back down low to keep a nice appearance until the other hair grows over it. Then at that point, you let it grow in under the rest of the hair. It will grow in even and blunt that way.

I've grown back a short bob over 5 times the exact same way, that way you don't end up with a poofy mullet in the back of your head, and a tail of hair in the back that is longer than the majority of the rest of your hair. The very back is always going to hang longer than the rest of your hair anyway.

Growing back a short cut is tricky, but it sounds like your stylist MAY know what she is doing.

I agree! If you're growing out a short cut this is the way to do it!!!!:yep::yep::yep:

destine2grow

I am currently growing my hair out of a short cut and I am not trimming nothing. Trimming to me defeats the purpose. I am getting ready to have my hair braided

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I don't know how you want your hair to be styled in the growing out phase, but if it's such a short cut and you don't want to cut, I would suggest putting in braids so you wouldn't see the unevenness. If you still want to rock only your hair, then what the stylist suggested is correct. Only thing is it will take much longer to reach your goal...but your happiness comes first.

Fine 4s

I agree with her technique. She understands your focus is on growth AND style.
As the hair grows, so will the back it will not look as neat as the areas that are styled and trimmed. Her idea is when the hair grows longer on the sides, these areas could 'hide' the back as it grows. Until that time, let's trim and keep it tight aight? lol

Makes sense to me UNLESS you don't mind it looking uneven back there but the sides and front tight?

tbaby_8

This is how I recommend alot of my clients to grow out a short cut. I don't cut alot. I do more of a dusting on the shorter side, but I do keep the back shaved down until the hair grows over it. But it depends if you are trying to keep a neat hairstyle somewhat.