Does warm weather equal faster hair growth?

dreysonsmommy2011

Hey ladies! I have heard that hair grows faster during the summer(warm weather) and slower in winter. I tried doing a search to see if there were any old threads on this and I couldn't find any. So ladies do you think that this is true or is it just some type of myth and weather has nothing to do with hair growth at all?

nadz

I've heard that too. I hope there's truth to it. I know my nails grow faster in the summertime. I used to cut my hair so I didn't really notice.
Interested in the science behind it if it's true.

camellia

I've heard this too. I'm not sure if my hair grows more during the summer or if it's just easier for me to retain length.

I live in a Oswego Illinois, about 45 miles west of Chicago, we get really cold winters here and I'm sure wearing my wool hats doesn't help. The freezing wind makes my hair brittle and I really have to step up the moisture.

Candy_C

i think it does! but i believe it doesn't nessessarily slow down in winter. like somebody else said, its all about maintaining and hiding the ends in winter. Summer here is DRY heat, but my hair did grow a bit quicker.

I'm going jamaica next month and the air there is hot and humid. so it just depends what type of heat really, dry heat can break off the ends

sweetcashew

My hair tends to grow a lot faster in warmer months. I think it could be that I wash it more often (like every other day) so the scalp is cleaner and more stimulated. And it could also be because I'm more physically active too.

sunnyjohn

I dunno... I grew up in a very warm climate around a whole lot of short-haired women. :D

Maybe its the constant changes in temp (dry, indoor heated air/ outdoor cold air) and the course materials from the hats that stunts hair growth during the winter months.

Isis

There have been many discussions about this on this board, probably archived by now. I do believe hair growth is faster in warm weather and there is a science behind it.:)

ETA:
Here are some links about this:

http://www.oleda.com/oleda_tips/index.cfm?ID=26&Ref=Hair-Loss

Did you know? Hair is a “miracle fiber.” It is composed of nitrogen, sulfur, water, amino acids and iron traces. A person has ±100,000 hairs on their scalp. Women’s hair lasts about 25% longer than men’s before falling out and being replaced (2-6 years). Hair grows faster in summer and, strangely, faster at night.

http://health.allrefer.com/news/index.php?ID=3959

And if you are worried about hair growth, according to Tobin, a 1991 study suggested that androgen-dependent hair growth is faster during the spring and summer months and slower during the winter months in temperate regions such the US. Although this study was conducted in men, the results may also apply to women. The results however may not apply to children as their hormonal activity is very different from that in adults, at least before puberty.

http://www.afraidtoask.com/hair/hairlifecycle.html

A person normally sheds up to 100 hairs per day. Hair growth occurs at about an inch per month, faster when it's hot (summer) and slower when it's cold (winter). This rate slows down with age, and shuts off in more and more hair follicles as time marches on. Things that influence hair growth include not only hormones, but nutrition, vitamins, emotional states, and many unknown factors.

Last edited:

Mestiza

I've heard a lot of people say that their hair grows faster during warmer months. I'll be paying closer attention to find out if that's true for me, or not.

Mestiza

Isis said:
There have been many discussions about this on this board, probably archived by now. I do believe hair growth is faster in warm weather and there is a science behind it.:)

ETA:
Here are some links about this:

http://www.oleda.com/oleda_tips/index.cfm?ID=26&Ref=Hair-Loss

Did you know? Hair is a “miracle fiber.” It is composed of nitrogen, sulfur, water, amino acids and iron traces. A person has ±100,000 hairs on their scalp. Women’s hair lasts about 25% longer than men’s before falling out and being replaced (2-6 years). Hair grows faster in summer and, strangely, faster at night.

http://health.allrefer.com/news/index.php?ID=3959

And if you are worried about hair growth, according to Tobin, a 1991 study suggested that androgen-dependent hair growth is faster during the spring and summer months and slower during the winter months in temperate regions such the US. Although this study was conducted in men, the results may also apply to women. The results however may not apply to children as their hormonal activity is very different from that in adults, at least before puberty.

http://www.afraidtoask.com/hair/hairlifecycle.html

A person normally sheds up to 100 hairs per day. Hair growth occurs at about an inch per month, faster when it's hot (summer) and slower when it's cold (winter). This rate slows down with age, and shuts off in more and more hair follicles as time marches on. Things that influence hair growth include not only hormones, but nutrition, vitamins, emotional states, and many unknown factors.
Thanks for posting that info, Isis! :drunk:

When I read the part in bold on http://www.afraidtoask.com/hair/hairlifecycle.html, I had to read it, again b/c I thought that I missed something. I thought that the average rate of hair growth is half of an inch (1/2") per month. :confused:

Last edited:

beyondcute

For me definitely. My hair grows about 3/4 an inch in the summer and 1/2 and in in the winter (per month). And the middle grows way faster than the edges. Wierd hair... weird person :)

dreysonsmommy2011

beyondcute said:
For me definitely. My hair grows about 3/4 an inch in the summer and 1/2 and in in the winter (per month). And the middle grows way faster than the edges. Wierd hair... weird person :)

Beyondcute that is some good growth girl!:p

Candy_C

that inch per month probabley applies to caucausians. a white girl at my work place had to get her hair recoloured every 3 weeks, her hair grew more than an inch per month...

then again, a guy i was dating has his hair trimmed every 10 days or so, he gets like 1/2 in that time!!!! (hes black) i aske dhim his secret, he told me he doesn't use any product, and uses water any chance he gets to keep it flattened. his hair i would describe as 2c-3c

baglady215

My hair grows faster in the summer, but I think, like sweetcashew said, the main reason for me is the frequest washes. I like to CO-Wash daily if I can. Last summer I didn't do them nearly as much and I didn't get a lot growth. The summer before my hair grew like a weed.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
For some reason my hair does grow fastwer during the warmer months but so far I'm noticing that I'll get a substantial amount of growth during the time of Jan to april for some reason...weird...even when it's cold here.

Mestiza

Candy_C said:
that inch per month probabley applies to caucausians. a white girl at my work place had to get her hair recoloured every 3 weeks, her hair grew more than an inch per month...

then again, a guy i was dating has his hair trimmed every 10 days or so, he gets like 1/2 in that time!!!! (hes black) i aske dhim his secret, he told me he doesn't use any product, and uses water any chance he gets to keep it flattened. his hair i would describe as 2c-3c

Hmmm.... The site says "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A person normally sheds up to 100 hairs per day. Hair growth occurs at about an inch per month, faster when it's hot (summer) and slower when [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]it's[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] cold (winter).[/FONT]"

To me, it seems as though, they're talking about hair growth for people in general, versus a particular race. :)

Last edited:

Candy_C

Mestiza said:
Hmmm.... The site says "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A person normally sheds up to 100 hairs per day. Hair growth occurs at about an inch per month, faster when it's hot (summer) and slower when [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]it's[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] cold (winter).[/FONT]"

To me, it seems as though, they're talking about hair growth for people in general, versus a particular race. :)

oooh, true, i would be jumping for joy if i got an inch naturally..then even more in the summer! (without aid from my vits)

Mestiza

Candy_C said:
oooh, true, i would be jumping for joy if i got an inch naturally..then even more in the summer! (without aid from my vits)
You should go ahead and jump for joy b/c your hair is growing beautifully and very fast! :bouncy:

Candy_C

Mestiza said:
You should go ahead and jump for joy b/c your hair is growing beautifully and very fast! :bouncy:

Bless you!
lol at the lil men. :lol:

You know what i realised, when i went to New York, the wetaher was much better and the air was cleaner than england. all the american black ladies with relaxed hair had PRETTTY hair! i really think the climate is better in the USA my skin was better too. so members from America, count yourself lucky weather wise!!!!!

beyondcute

Yeah I know a guy who's hair grows liek crazy but he is 4a. He geta atleast an inch a month. I swa it with my own eyes. He got his hair cut and by the end of the month he had a baby fro. Major growth! WHat does he do? Nothing. Wash once a week with any old shampoo and thats it.

Recherché.Beauty

FOR ME IT'S BOTH...MY HAIR GROWS FAST IN THE WINTER AND FASTER IN THE SUMMER...I HOPE WHEN SCHOOL STARTS..I'LL BE HAVING SHOULDER LENGTH ALL AROUND....

MizAvalon

Mestiza said:

When I read the part in bold on http://www.afraidtoask.com/hair/hairlifecycle.html, I had to read it, again b/c I thought that I missed something. I thought that the average rate of hair growth is half of an inch (1/2") per month. :confused:

You have it right. The average growth rate of human hair is 1/2" per month.

Of course there are exceptions, but this is true for most people.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm a daily washer. My hair grows slowly in the winter, but in the summer it grows faster.:ohwell: I can't wait til I move to Arizona mext year.:lol:

Mestiza

MizAvalon said:
You have it right. The average growth rate of human hair is 1/2" per month.

Of course there are exceptions, but this is true for most people.
Mestiza said:

Thanks, MizAvalon! :wink2: For a minute there I thought that my mind was playing tricks on me.