Growth spurt and warm weather

Nanyanika

Thanks this is interesting information. That is why i measure my growth when it is dry to get a more accurate estimate. I also know that the hair seems to stretch longer when wet as the water temporarily breaks down the bonds. However personally it is a fact that my hair grows faster during the summer months, When I went to Jamaica and receive all that growth my hair was braided tight so I certainly know its not slippage

Bobbie

Here's something else I found:
[ QUOTE ]

The Elements & Moisture
Have you ever noticed that your hair appears longer, frizzier and more elastic during spring/summer months? Well for those who live in humid climates, your chosen location is probably why. Our hair becomes longer in higher humidities and shorter in lower humidities.

So the next time you're complaining about how "thick" the air is with humidity, take stock of what's going on with your hair. Generally, curly hair frizzes up while straight hair losses style and goes limp. Believe it or not, by going from dry to humid climates, your hair can actually change in length by as much as 3 percent.

Now you know why your hair appears shorter even though you haven't changed routines or had a cut.

Why Does My Hair Act This Way When It's Humid?
Well it's time to get a little technical. You've all studied the Anatomy of Hair section right? Then you know that hair is made up of keratin. Keratin is a coil-like protein.

Now for a hot second, try to remember being in Jr. high school (middle school for us young folks) and picture yourself in science class. Go back...go back...wow, some of you are taking a mighty long time to get there

The coils/turns found in keratin are held together by polypetide and hydrogen bonds. The polypetides provide strength and are difficult to destroy. Hydrogen bonds on the other hand are relatively weak and break down in the presence of water (H2O).

When the air is "thick"-humid or you wet your hair, the H-bonds break and allow the coils to stretch and as a result your hair lengthens. As your hair dries, the bonds reform.

I can hear so many folks out there going "oooooooooooh."

See, now you know why we suggest styling your dreadlocks and hair while it is still damp. Doing so will minimize stress and breakage because while wet, your hair can withstand the manipulation of the stretching (see Is Your Hair Healthy to the right).

Hair & Moisture
Ok, on a humid day what's the first thing that people with straight/relaxed hair reach for? Hair spray, gel or some styling aid that will keep the hair from going limp or frizzing up.

The application of product to your hair coats the cuticle layer. By constantly coating our hair with product, we inhibit the natural infusion of moisture resulting from humid conditions. So, by applying too much product, the protection you meant to supply your hair actually results in damaging it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leshia

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
I'm unsure, i think the heat would cause dryness. However, I used to cover my hair with a plastic conditioing cap every night, which caused my hair to grow out faster because of the extra humidty.

I was in Jamaica for four weeks in Apr/may and my hair grew out over an inch in the first week, my hair was I so damp from all the moisture generated by the humidity in the air. I wasn't taking any vitamins either, or doing anything special, so i've come to the conclusion that it is defintely the humidity in the air which aided the growth and caused me to retain more length.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Den1,
Just curious....You're on the hair lady's site and she says on the site that humidity draws moisture from the hair. I take it you don't agree with this statement?? Was that a typo or what? I always felt humidity was good for my hair and skin and now I'm wondering what's true...

Isis

If that is true, I would think that wearing the plastic cap ensures the moisture gets put back into the hair so it's a constant, moist environment. Those living in humid, tropical areas like Jamaica would have hair that is always in a moist state.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Bobbie, that a really interesting post you made there.

I sleep with a plastic cap from time to time with conditioner in my hair. It gets really hot!

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
Leshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
I'm unsure, i think the heat would cause dryness. However, I used to cover my hair with a plastic conditioing cap every night, which caused my hair to grow out faster because of the extra humidty.

I was in Jamaica for four weeks in Apr/may and my hair grew out over an inch in the first week, my hair was I so damp from all the moisture generated by the humidity in the air. I wasn't taking any vitamins either, or doing anything special, so i've come to the conclusion that it is defintely the humidity in the air which aided the growth and caused me to retain more length.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Den1,
Just curious....You're on the hair lady's site and she says on the site that humidity draws moisture from the hair. I take it you don't agree with this statement?? Was that a typo or what? I always felt humidity was good for my hair and skin and now I'm wondering what's true...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to disagree with the Hairlady, I believe only dry heat removes moisture from the hair (especially somewhere like England during the summer months). When I was in Jamaica, I touched my little my cousins hair expecting that it would be dry due to the heat. I was pleasantly surprised to find that their hair was so soft and moist due to the humidity, plus they hardly use moisturisers.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
Thanks for that clarification Den1 and thanks again for your moisturizing method!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your welcome

lthomas1

Hair Power!
Ever since I read this link, I have been spitzing my hair with my distilled water concotion mixture and placing the plastic cap then my satin cap every night. My hair has been getting moisturized all more often.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
Ever since I read this link, I have been spitzing my hair with my distilled water concotion mixture and placing the plastic cap then my satin cap every night. My hair has been getting moisturized all more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done i'm happy to read more success stories with the plastic cap method

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
<font color="purple">After reading your post about the plastic cap method the other night, I've decided to give it a shot. I did a pre-'poo treatment Tuesday night and had a cap on with the treatment still in my hair. I woke up the next day and, after sleeping with my plastic cap overnight with my mixture, it felt hot. Did my CO wash and usual shower routine, and I've noticed that my hair has gained a few more inches (this was prior to reading your post when I was ahead of the game). I think from now on I'll be doing the plastic bag method every night. I want my hair to grow super fast and baby my new growth at the same time (I'm stretching my relaxer until the fall). And on the good note, I did my exercise routine with the plastic cap on my head. When I took the cap off before entering my shower, my hair is moist and hot. Even though we don't get a lot of humidity here in Indiana, I'll always have my plastic cap for instant humidity anytime. BTW, den1, your hair is beautiful and healthy. Thanx for your plastic bag idea. </font>

Karonica

I haven't started yet, it's really hot outside as it is. The hair is still growing unusually fast because of the weather, I think.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
Karonica said:
I haven't started yet, it's really hot outside as it is. The hair is still growing unusually fast because of the weather, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your lucky the weather in London is bad, chilly and quite a lot of rain.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

What about bacteria/fungus? These organisms love moist environments. This is the only thing that is stopping me from trying the overnight cap method.

Nanyanika

I haven't experienced that type of problem. However a solution which comes to mind to combat that problem is to wash the hair regularly, simple.

Isis

I've been doing Den1 during the times when I don't plan to wear a braidout. My hair is so moist and soft when I wake up! I'm always touching it - more than usual. I haven't sweated in the cap yet (a surprise to me) but I can feel the moistness of my hair right away. I love this method, it's a keeper for me.
Thanks again!!

Nanyanika

Isis thanks for the great update.... I've haven't done the method in a few days (naughty), but i've been doing the baggie method. Tormorrow night i'm starting up again consistently...

Nanyanika

You don't need use lots of products on the hair, because the plastic cap insulates body heat from the scalp area to create a humid environment providing most of the moisture for the hair. You can wash hair daily or every 2-3 days if you wish. i usually wash my hair twice a week after consistently following this method.

TastesLikeMusic

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
You don't need use lots of products on the hair, because the plastic cap insulates body heat from the scalp area to create a humid environment providing most of the moisture for the hair. You can wash hair every daily or every 2-3 days if you wish. i usually wash my hair twice a week after consistently following this method.

[/ QUOTE ]

...i did this last night w/ some conditioner on my hair, slept with it and this morning after i washed it out, my hair was ultra moisturized! i love it! i'm going to continue to do this

Nanyanika

I have a tip: spray some Arosci leave-in on hair, before covering with the plastic cap overnight. My hair felt super, moisturised this morning,

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus
*adds to favorites*

this method sounds so great! as soon as i get a curly fusion that i dont mind washing every few days and i wont mind if my hair reverts from huimidity..im going to try this out! it sounds really promising!

Skydancer

Thinks sounds good to me:] How much moisture do you need to put in at night to make this technique effective? And what do you guys use? Something water-based? Oils? Creamy moisturizers? Thanks! :]