Growth spurt and warm weather

brandy

I've been wondering since hair grows very quickly during warm weather (summer), would staying in a heated room during winter have the same effect on hair growth?

Nanyanika

I'm unsure, i think the heat would cause dryness. However, I used to cover my hair with a plastic conditioing cap every night, which caused my hair to grow out faster because of the extra humidty.

I was in Jamaica for four weeks in Apr/may and my hair grew out over an inch in the first week, my hair was I so damp from all the moisture generated by the humidity in the air. I wasn't taking any vitamins either, or doing anything special, so i've come to the conclusion that it is defintely the humidity in the air which aided the growth and caused me to retain more length.

brandy

Thanks ladies for the repies. Den1 your hair is still lovely.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
brandy said:
Thanks ladies for the repies. Den1 your hair is still lovely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Brandy

Bobbie

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
I'm unsure, i think the heat would cause dryness. However, I used to cover my hair with a plastic conditioing cap every night, which caused my hair to grow out faster because of the extra humidty.

I was in Jamaica for four weeks in Apr/may and my hair grew out over an inch in the first week, my hair was I so damp from all the moisture generated by the humidity in the air. I wasn't taking any vitamins either, or doing anything special, so i've come to the conclusion that it is defintely the humidity in the air which aided the growth and caused me to retain more length.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happens to me too. I'm originally from Miami (the humidity there is off the charts), and my hair always grew incredibly fast. However, here in the bay area, I only get the same growth rate during the summer... otherwise, not at all.

It depends on how everyone's hair responds to moisture in the air I guess.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow! Thanks Den1 for this valuable info.
I believe there is much to this. It would seem the plastic cap would keep your head heated also as well as moisturized. I want to try this.

When you wear that plastic cap to bed are you wearing protective styles or braids during the day? Is your hair always in a damp state or just always moisturized? Does your scalp get sweaty? I've seen your success with your beautiful long hair Den1 so I believe you when you say this works!

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow! Thanks Den1 for this valuable info.
I believe there is much to this. It would seem the plastic cap would keep your head heated also as well as moisturized. I want to try this.

When you wear that plastic cap to bed are you wearing protective styles or braids during the day? Is your hair always in a damp state or just always moisturized? Does your scalp get sweaty? I've seen your success with your beautiful long hair Den1 so I believe you when you say this works!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Isis, when I use the plastic cap, I usually have braids in ie cornrows as a protective style during the day. I take the cap off in the morning to allow my hair to dry as the hair is quite damp, but very moisturised so I don't need to use lots of products. Its very simiar to the baggie method only that you cover the entire scalp area (which really gets the circulation of blood flow going). This is very true I did this when I was natural and my hair grew like crazy. In fact i was wearing the cap earlier on today and i could feel my scalp tingling
. From today, I'm going to this every night from now on, I'm determined for some mega fast growth

The scalp will get a little sweaty depending on how often you apply this technique. You may have to wash the hair regularly, in my opinion its really worth it.

Isis

I can't wait to try your technique Den1. I will start tomorrow night wearing my hair in my braided style to bed, with the plastic cap on and see what happens as far as hair reverting. It shouldn't be that noticeable. I just knew there had to be a way to duplicate warm, humid conditions like the tropics, but I just didn't think about the plastic cap!
This will be a fun experiment!
Thanks again!

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:

I was in Jamaica for four weeks in Apr/may and my hair grew out over an inch in the first week, my hair was I so damp from all the moisture generated by the humidity in the air. I wasn't taking any vitamins either, or doing anything special, so i've come to the conclusion that it is defintely the humidity in the air which aided the growth and caused me to retain more length. [/quote

this is great info,,,Den1.....thanks......

lthomas1

Hair Power!
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I can't wait to try your technique Den1. I will start tomorrow night wearing my hair in my braided style to bed, with the plastic cap on and see what happens as far as hair reverting. It shouldn't be that noticeable. I just knew there had to be a way to duplicate warm, humid conditions like the tropics, but I just didn't think about the plastic cap!
This will be a fun experiment!
Thanks again!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so funny reading this thread. I just used my Amla oil for the first time and I wore a plastic cap to bed because I did not want the scent on my pillow case. My hair was very moist this morning. I am going to do this more often to see if it makes a difference. Thanks Den1.

SherryLove

I guess this can also explain why the people who used to sport jerry curls hair grew so fast. they were constantly moisturizing their hair and scalp with gerry curl juice and covering their hair with plastic caps.....

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
I guess this can also explain why the people who used to sport jerry curls hair grew so fast. they were constantly moisturizing their hair and scalp with gerry curl juice and covering their hair with plastic caps.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, i defintely believe this is also true.

EbonyEyes

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Just maybe...My mom said that when used to wear the curl, her hair grew like crazy!

-Ebony

cocoa2122

Funny...I was just about to start a thread about this. I was wondering if anyone else around here wore plastic caps to bed. I just started and I'm really lovin' the results. I put a little oil on my ends at night then sleep with the plastic cap. In the morning, my hair is super moisturized to the point where I don't need to put any products in for the day. Why didn't I think of this sooner?

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
cocoa2122 said:
Funny...I was just about to start a thread about this. I was wondering if anyone else around here wore plastic caps to bed. I just started and I'm really lovin' the results. I put a little oil on my ends at night then sleep with the plastic cap. In the morning, my hair is super moisturized to the point where I don't need to put any products in for the day. Why didn't I think of this sooner?

[/ QUOTE ]

This method is great isn't it!!!
I also did this when i was growing my natural hair last year.

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
cocoa2122 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also do something similar now that I wear headwraps every day.....After I come home from a wash, deep condition and set, I comb my hair back and tie loosely with a covered ponytail holder...I then oil the length of my ponytail with castor oil, twist it and cover it with a plastic cap and pin it up and cover with a headwrap...let me tell you my ends have never been so moisturized in my life......This is definitely a keeper. I cover my whole head with the plastic bag when I am doing my pre shampoo treatment....I oil my scalp and hair and cover it with a plastic cap one whole day before I get a shampoo....

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
SherryLove said:
[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
[ QUOTE ]
cocoa2122 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also do something similar now that I wear headwraps every day.....After I come home from a wash, deep condition and set, I comb my hair back and tie loosely with a covered ponytail holder...I then oil the length of my ponytail with castor oil, twist it and cover it with a plastic cap and pin it up and cover with a headwrap...let me tell you my ends have never been so moisturized in my life......This is definitely a keeper. I cover my whole head with the plastic bag when I am doing my pre shampoo treatment....I oil my scalp and hair and cover it with a plastic cap one whole day before I get a shampoo....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad that your having great success with this technique
. i will post this on my hair regime pages on my site

CocoaButterflyy

If you go to a gym you can also sit in the steam room in the winter that helps alot and I also keep a humidifier in my room so I get a lot of moisture in the air which helps with my hair... but the plastic bag definitely works as well

CheerHHS

I'm LOVING this post. Do you know that yall have me sitting in a shower cap as we speak? LOL! Since I have nowhere to go all week I'm thinking about spritzing my hair daily and wearing this cap consistently. Let's see if I can replicate some Den1 results! Thanks for starting this post and for all the advice!

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
CocoaButterflyy said:
If you go to a gym you can also sit in the steam room in the winter that helps alot and I also keep a humidifier in my room so I get a lot of moisture in the air which helps with my hair... but the plastic bag definitely works as well

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm nicking your idea
, I was thinking about going to sauna (steam room) to aid my weighloss on a weekly basis, turns out its a bonus for the hair too.

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
CheerHHS said:
I'm LOVING this post. Do you know that yall have me sitting in a shower cap as we speak? LOL! Since I have nowhere to go all week I'm thinking about spritzing my hair daily and wearing this cap consistently. Let's see if I can replicate some Den1 results! Thanks for starting this post and for all the advice!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea you've joined the bandwagon, too. I took my cap off half an hour ago, to allow my hair to dry a little. I'm putting back on tonight until tormorrow morning.

I'll monitor my progress by the looseness of my cornrows (when the hair is dry). The growth will be measured with a ruler, laid directly on the scalp, I raise the braid to judge how much growth, this is exactly what i used to do when natural and it was pretty accurate.

Bobbie

Here's what I found in USAToday:
[ QUOTE ]
Human (or animal) hair turns out to be a pretty good way to measure the humidity, as anyone who's ever complained about a "bad hair day," can tell you. The graphic below shows how this works.

Source: USA TODAY research by Chad Palmer

The length of a strand of human hair changes with different relative humidities.
As the relative humidity increases, hair becomes longer, and as the humidity drops it becomes shorter. On very humid days, your hair actually becomes longer and this extra length causes the frizziness that gives us bad hair days.
An instrument that uses hair to measure humidity is known as a hair hygrometer. This instrument uses strands of human or horse hair with the oils removed attached to levers that magnify a small change in hair length.
An ink pen and rotating cylinder, known as a hygrograph, can provide a record of how relative humidity varies throughout the day.
The disadvantages of the hair hygrometer and hygrograph are that they are not as accurate as other kinds of hygrometers such as the sling psychrometer. Also, a hair hygrometer needs frequent adjustment and calibration.
A hair hygrometer also tends to have large errors at very high and very low relative humidities.

[/ QUOTE ]