Does your church have fitness ministry?

neenzmj

Hello ladies. I was just wondering how many of you attend a church that offers some type of group exercise to its members and if so, do you have very many people who show an interest?

I've recently begun offering classes at my church. So far, the interest has been fairly low, but for the few that attend faithfully, I am beginning to see the benefits (mentally and physically.)

So, here's my question: do you think it would be appropriate to contact other congregations to see if they have any interest me offering classes to their members?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

HeChangedMyName

We don't have one, but it is a great idea. and Yes, I think it it absolutely appropriate to contact other congregations. it would be a great way to fellowship and get fit with other Christians. Go for it.

divya

Yes, we have a health ministry at my church, which includes fitness.

1. Health Ministry (General) - http://cpcsda.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=10404 (see the options on the left)
2. CHIP (specific) - http://cpcsda.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=31223

In our branch of the faith, our churches are interconnected through a regional conference and then the general conference at that top. So it's fine to contact other churches to see if any other members are interested. It may be perceived a little differently if in your branch, churches are separate...but don't cross it off as a possibility. Maybe contact the churches first and ask if it would be alright. :yep:

Last edited:

Uber

We dont have one.

Our new church building will have a gym and I was hoping to help out with that one way or another when we get there. I think it's a good idea. It's also fine to contact other congregations although one or two may be suspicious of your intentions. I've seen it happen where one church wants to help another in a particular area and the Pastor saw it as stealing members. Divya's right. You could contact the church to see if it would be alright. I pray it goes really well and you get establised.

Is there any reason you cannot invite non Christians?

Cheleigh

Yes, ours is called Temple Builders.

I think it's fine to invite other congregations, provided you speak with your Pastor or appropriate minister. Also, it does take time to get a fitness ministry going, since I think it's one of the few "acceptable" sins in church (overeating and related health concerns). It's great you've started this important ministry in your church.

neenzmj

Thank you all for your great suggestions and words of encouragment.

Cheleigh: Thank you for pointing out the time it takes for things to get moving. Sometimes I get discouraged when the turnout is low, but God has given me such a passion about this, I can't see myself turning around now.

Bess: I would be happy to invite Christians and non-Christians because we just never know what God will do -- even in an exercise class.

I'm a licensed Zumba instructor and I will be having a Zumba Kickoff this Saturday, so I'm anxious to see where God will take all of this. I only want to go in the direction He would have me to. I've done enough of trying to make things work MY way.

chicitygirl

Yes, my church has yoga classes a few days a week. They're pretty popular with some of the older members. My old church had aerobics classes and they had good attendance but it took a while for people to get interested.

Mocha5

Great idea. I taught Pilates classes at my church for a while. As Cheleigh said, and very well I might add, gluttony/obesity appears to be acceptable. Unfortunately, the enemy is taking us out in droves because of it. We can bind demonic forces all day long but if we don't put the sammiches down and do a "few laps" it's all for not! At the end of the day, we're still in bondage.

Keep at it. Don't get discouraged. If you ever need to change venues because of the issues raised above, try one of the schools in your area. They're usually open to linking school and community. Blessings and much success!

chrstndiva

Hello ladies. I was just wondering how many of you attend a church that offers some type of group exercise to its members and if so, do you have very many people who show an interest?

I've recently begun offering classes at my church. So far, the interest has been fairly low, but for the few that attend faithfully, I am beginning to see the benefits (mentally and physically.)

So, here's my question: do you think it would be appropriate to contact other congregations to see if they have any interest me offering classes to their members?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Our church has a health ministry and exercise is just one part of it.

I do think it would be appropriate for you to contact other congregations. It's not easy to find Christian fitness instructors. You would definitely be a blessing to our church, but I am sure other churches would feel the same way.

Mrs.TheBronx

Our church has a running/walking ministry. We meet on Sat. mornings! Some went from not running a mile to doing a marathon or half marathons this year!! :)