Does your hair actually do BETTER with cones??

FtrDrO

Have you tried the no cone method and found that it wasn't working for you and that your hair actually did better with cones? With all the negativity surrounding cones, I found myself wondering about this. I personally don't think cones are bad( although I have a pretty low to no cone regimen). I think being used in moderation or used & performing necessary maintenance with its use (ie clarifying periodically), is all that's really needed. I've personally found that some products with cones (ie HE LTR leave in) keep my hair moisturized & softened better than most no cone products. So......

Testimonies? Thoughts? Opinions? How have cones been working for you? (Share if you're texlaxed, relaxed or natural, and hair type).

cherxy777

The problem with me and cones is buildup. I have to use a clarifying shampoo once a month or my moisturizer and EVCO just won't penetrate through to my hair shaft. The product that i use daily that have cones are chi silk infusion. But i only use this on my ends after i moisturize, and i use a VERY small amount :)

I'm relaxed by the way.

nikolite

I'm not sure exactly but I'll say yes. I used to have a very "natural" product list and that didn't work out much. Once I left that alone and went back to the basics (I mean like the "hot comb and grease" basics without any hot combs and grease, LOL), my hair did just fine. Now, I do use cones, although a very small amount, but my hair is thriving.

I'm just not sure if my techniques/styles/regimen had more to do with how my hair fared or my non-use/use of cones. But overall I agree with you that as long as I clarify, the cones are fine and I think they are worth whatever negatives they are supposed to cause. Either way, cones are working for me at the moment. I'm a natural, 3C/4A.

Mz.MoMo5235

me and my hair love cones. i tried the no cone thing and my hair did not like it at all

i use aussie moist poo and cond every week and then i use HE HH regular cond as a leave in. my hair is very happy with this reggie and these prods

LaFemmeNaturelle

Cones don't necessarily bother me but I noticed that my hair stays moisturized much longer when i dont use them. I still use cones if I'm using heat!

Tiye

I've never avoided them and never had any problems. As I understood it this was a naturally curly - curly girl method recommendation. I don't have curly hair and was never on a curl definition quest so it was n/a for me.

MarieB

I quit using cones for a while, but it didn't work out too well. My hair seems to like cones in moderation.

Grand Prix

I think cones are great when using heat. Not just for heat protection, but it also seals moisture in. That way you can keep your straight styles moisturized longer.

LABETT

My hair loves cones, I try to co-wash with cones free conditoners only.
I use deep conditoners and leave ins with cones and my hair has no problems.
I dont get caught up avoiding cones and mineral oil products if they work for my hair.

i used to think my hair was in love with cones. i tried to go curly girl after seeing a few vids on youtube. the first couple of months were harsh. i had already cut out all mineral oil too. However, it's been about a year and a half now and i haven't used cones since. except when i straighten my hair because i havent found anything cone free to protect from heat. over time, my hiar retained moisture and water like crazy. i do deep conditioners a lot less often probably once a month now.
if i try to use a silicone, especially a conditioner, now, my hair is like repulsed by it. it absolutely hates it. even when i straighten it i have to use a very light serum. but my hair feels like crap now if i try to use silicones or mineral oil/petroleum based products.
my curls look so much better than they did a year ago and the overall health of my hair is awesome! dryness isnt an issue now and i shampoo weekly with a sulfate free shampoo (hairveda amla shikakai shampoo). I couldn't go back to cones even if i wanted too.

i don't knock the use of them, my hair just doesnt work with them and has been thriving without them. i think the lack of coating from the cones has allowed my hair to soak up water and maintain moisture so much better.

Last edited:

BlaqBella

Maybe I'll like it if and when my hair reaches your level of health..^^ But like others posted i tried w/out cones. Didn't go so well (it was ok) But with cones and heat for me has been good so far. I'll try and find this thread later in the year to update.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
My hair loves cones.
I did try a cone-free regimen once, and the results were disastrous. My hair was tangly, rough, and it velcroed like crazy. My rollersets weren't as smooth, and detangling after wash day was impossible...I lost so much hair.
So I went back to my cone-laden products, and my hair went back to being mildly temperamental as opposed to being unbearable.

Cones can be a little dangerous for me, because they do build up, and they can cover up splits and damage. When I don't pay attention, my hair can get pretty nasty. But as long as I stay on top of my clarifying schedule, and remember to S&D regularly, I don't have problems. :yep:

Imani

I tried no cones when I relaxed and first came to the boards. my hair was a mess. My hair likes cones. I wear my hair straight a lot now that I'm transitioning and I don't think I could ever straighten without cones. I usually use Design Essentials Express, it is very light. Some of the heavier cone based conditioners are too much though.

Kindheart

some cones are water soluble ,some disappear with high heat ,some are more resistant and actually coat the hair until clarified,they help protecting the hair shaft from heat and help minizimizing friction and tangling .Hair is less likely to get damage and generally retain more lenght with the use of a protectant such as cones .Butters and oils dont work for everyone ,it really depends on the hair .Some of my friends have very long hair well one is white w wavy 2b hair ,she washes 2ce a week and use pantene and paul mitchell the gloss ,now i know she has a different hair type and all but her hair is luscious and MB .Another friend has passed BS 4b hair relaxed ,her hair is really thick and nice she uses Optimum Breakthru line.
I use a silicone mist on my hair to protect from humidity ,weather changes and pollution tend to dry my hair something terrible .I dont use it all the time but when i straighten my hair or want to keep it nice and hassle free in a bun i mist it and i like the result. .
As for conditioners I m trying to avoid chemicals but dont have any issues with cones.

Last edited:

iri9109

all my fave condishes have cones in them somewhere so i'll say yeah...i just have to clarify with a sulfate free po, castille soap or acv and i'm good...now on the other hand something chock full of cones like CHI silk infusion are good for the 1st couple of days, but i have to wash them out soon after that because my hair feels dry and coated and plasticy

Qtee

My hair is fine either way...so I dont worry about reading the ingrediants..I also use a sulfate shampoo once a week..so I dont suffer buildup and my hair is thriving..

lovelexi

Now that I think of it my reggie is cone-free. It was never really important to me. My hair loves nexxus hydrating treatment but it was too expensive. Giovanni on the other hand is way less expensive because I can get it at marshall's. I fell in love with natural products. My hair is holding up well, getting healthier w/o cones. I can't say being cone free did it for me because my hair practices weren't that great while using cones so idk. Oh and I'm relaxed.

shtow

Yes and it always has. Every time I jumped on a bandwagon and used essential oils on my hair my ends always ended up frayed! When I use cones, my ends look so much better, probably because they are sealing and protecting them. My hair also looks better too and retains more moisture. My hair has really taken off since I went back to cones after my cut to a little below SL in December!

I also relax and use heat weekly.

Vashti

I've wondered about cones too but since I've changed most of my products I still kept two products with cones that I love - HE HH and HE NOYF Smoothing Leave-In Creme. My hair likes cones as along as I don't over do it so I'll keep them in my regimen. I would never press my hair without using a silicone product in my hair.

Jenn22588

I tried a no-cone regimen but that did not work for me. The majority of my favorite products have cones. When my regular products stop working I just clarify and deep condition and everything is back to normal. I don't follow a schedule, I just go by the moisture level in my hair.

FebeeSigns

My hair does well with cones. But I don't care how well my hair feels with cones. To me, the cons outweigh the pros. I favor shine and great slip with other natural ingredients.

Last edited:

HennaRo

My hair has done much better with cones, even when I relaxed it did better. The only time I use cones though is for cowashes, haven't found to many natural conditioners that can detangle. Gotta stick with what works!

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I think cones are great when using heat. Not just for heat protection, but it also seals moisture in. That way you can keep your straight styles moisturized longer.

This is the only time I use cones as well. I prefer my hair without cones,my hair IMO is doing better. I am able to see when I need to trim my ends sooner since my routine is pretty much cone free. I like to keep my routine as simple as possible so adding in an extra step (clarifying) is not going to work for me.

HauteHippie

Most of the time I'm cone-free (I get my Giovanni from Marshalls too. Gotta love them!), but every other month or so I'll use a product with cones in it. I was just telling my sister that my hair felt awesome today, like better than usual and started wondering about the no cones thing. I used cones yesterday. Go figure.

LuvlyRain3

I love cones!!! I never really have a problem with build up. Probably because I acv rinse twice a week. None of the leave ins or moisturizers l use have cones but every conditioner and dc that my hair loves has cones in them. I don't care how many times i read about people avoiding them. Unless a few people go bald they will always be in my regimen.