Does your hair feel shorter as you stretch?

Fine 4s

I heard people with relaxers comment that their hair feels/looks shorter as they are stretching? Have you experienced this? If so, what's the explanation? The only reason I can think of is b/c of the new growth/ kinks at the root which do shrink ...but ...I don't buy it 100%

lurkersincejan

I know I feel like this, its like I have a helmet on and the roots of my hair is bulky but the end are straight. So its like the shrinkage from the NG makes me feel like my hair is shorter.Im itching to relax to see but Im not gonna give in, I have about 4 more weeks to go. I hope that makes sense

Caramela

That's exactly what happens. I know that before my last relaxer I stretched 4.5 months and I was like between BSB and MBL in the shower when it was wet and all stretched out but when it dried, that mess was between shoulder and APL!

growinstrong

yup, same here. I'm 6 weeks post now and my hair about 0.5" to BSL, so after my next relaxer, I know I'll officially be BSL :grin:. But I plan on doing a trim :ohwell:

loulou82

Yes. I'm transitioning and my hair doesn't touch my shoulders anymore but when I pull the longest layer it reaches APL. :spinning:

Tamrin

unapologetic
Yes it does shrink and we go thru helmet head. Im 20 weeks post I have huge shoulder lenght helmet when I know Im past shoulder.

BlueEra

Yep...The longer I stretch the more shrinkage I get. When it's wet you can tell there is a little length, but as soon as it begins to dry thats when the NG coils up and pulls my hair out instead of down.

bravenewgirl87

Ditto. It also becomes tangled and matted for me. I love curls but at the same time I hate them.

Yep...The longer I stretch the more shrinkage I get. When it's wet you can tell there is a little length, but as soon as it begins to dry thats when the NG coils up and pulls my hair out instead of down.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I'm about 12+ weeks post and I'm at APL because of all the shrinkage. I don't worry about it at all. The longer you stretch the more the new growth shrinks and draws the processed hair up with it so it appears shorter. You'll have a nice surprise at retouch.

bbdgirl

yes I am at nine weeks post and my hair is all thick and yummy at the roots. And it definitely doesnt show my length. But I washed it lastnight and when I came out of the shower my hair was slapping the middle of back like crazy I was so happy, I know that it was heavy with a little bit of water but it just felt so nice. I got three weeks to go and I am hoping that I will have a pleasant reward of BSL!!!! The stretch is worth it!

LadyEuphoria007

That happened to me while I was transitioning.

I was thinking..."what is wrong with my hair", come to think of it...I think that was why I cut it off. :ohwell:

MizAvalon

Yup, it looks and feels shorter. Looks like a helmet or a wig!:lachen:

I've been stretching for so many years now though I'm used to it.

mrsjohnson75

I'm about 12+ weeks post and I'm at APL because of all the shrinkage. I don't worry about it at all. The longer you stretch the more the new growth shrinks and draws the processed hair up with it so it appears shorter. You'll have a nice surprise at retouch.

:yep:..................I'm always pleasanty surprised.

Honi

There is no board.
You betcha. I was hovering at tailbone after my last touchup. 6 months later i'm midback. For a minute I thought I did something to jack my hair up. :lol:

The Girl

That happened to me while I was transitioning.

I was thinking..."what is wrong with my hair", come to think of it...I think that was why I cut it off. :ohwell:
Whew...lawd the past few months I have been:ohwell: I thought I had messed it up somehow or either I was getting more body area for the hair to cover...Its why I started wearing Protective styles a lot lately...oh well...no BC, my head is too big for that but at least I know the problem now:yep: