Does your hair get weave checked while in a bun?

GraciousMystique

This year I've committed to wearing a bun faithfully. My bun is nothing out of the extraordinaire. It's medium sized and is in fact kind of frizzy on the top and especially in the nape area.

But random people keep on weave checking my bun? This past week, while walking up the stairs in the courthouse, this black chick was coming down the steps she stopped briefly on a step above me. She then proceeded to quickly look at the top of my hair, maneuvering her head and eyes around quickly, checking for tracks. She then ran down the steps quickly.

At school while I was walking past a row of desks this guy just sits up from a previously slouching position at his desk-- so he can see above me(I'm short) and starts taking a blatant hard stare at the top, back and sides hair while I was headed to my seat. Other times during the semester, he would sit behind me and stare at my hair bun ( I could feel his eyes on me).

In a food store I often frequent, there's this Korean cashier woman who once asked "Is that all your hair" and I although I replied "Yes" she still feels the need to stare at the back of head whenever I turn to exit the store.

These are isolated incidents, but there have been more. I thought weave checks were known to happened frequently when one wore their hair down. I find it strange a track check is happening with my hair up, showing no length at all.

Any of you experienced being asked about your hair/weave check while wearing your hair in a bun?

brg240

Well I'm pretty oblivious so I wouldn't notice something like that.
But a couple of years ago a guy that was trying to talk to me was pulled on my bun before. I thought he was just getting my attention in a strange way but it might have been a weave check :/

danigurl18

My buns always get weave checked too so I feel your pain lol

tenderheaded

I've been out right asked (clear co-worker) if it was ALL my hair! Why does it matter? What upset her was she over heard some compliments and I'm really not a good hair stylist!

Longer lengths are so easy to make presentable!

classychic1908

I have been asked numerous times if it's my hair in my bun. I don't really have many hair pictures... but I'll be back!

eta: It might be next week or something, I'm in twists right now. :look:

Last edited:

CA*Nappy

Just last weekend after getting ready in a rush I run to my room and my own daughter looks at me had the nerve to ask me " is that your phony pony?" and comes over to touch it and I had to give her the stank eye!

geejay

Maybe it's the way the bun is worn...

Looking at CelinaStarr's amazing bun, I can't imagine how to fake that. The way she has it styled, there's no potential "attachment point". But looking at danigurl18's lovely bun, she has it drawn into a ponytail with the ends forming her bun. But a woman with shorter hair might use a similar style and attach a phony bun over her "bunny tail"

All this to say, OP, Imma need to see some pictures :D

Janet'

No...but the only buns that I've worn don't place me in the major leagues either...

Attachments

• Family Dinner Amiyah's Wedding 075.jpg
    Family Dinner Amiyah's Wedding 075.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Natural Hair 030.jpg
    Natural Hair 030.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Natural Hair 034.jpg
    Natural Hair 034.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 58

lovegymnasts

Yes
It happened about 2 weeks ago...surprised me.
Co-worker asked me if it was all my hair.
I looked at her all confused and said yeah...

I then took my bun down and whipped my hair from side to side.
She asked if I was growing dreads.
Why do they always assume if you are natural that you want dreads?
I said, "No, I wear my hair in twists."
She said, "Ah, you got that good hair."
I gave her my confused look again.

I later e-mailed her my "blogs" I did for other co-workers about hair care and said that I did not have good hair but I learned how to take care of my hair and hoped that some of the information I attached might be useful to her.
She never replied back.

Bun looked like this picture; actually a little more like my signature below:

I really don't understand why someone would think it is fake.

Last edited:

Barbara

Princess
Coworkers, strangers and relatives have asked if my bun is all mine. Naturally, I tell them yes. No one has ever done a weave check while it's in a bun, and I appreciate that.

Sianna

*Le Sigh* I look forward to the day when I can even WEAR a bun let alone getting weave checked for one! :lol:

I know there are more pics out there! Quit being stingy ladies!! :lachen:

Solitude

This happened to me. I went to get my eyebrows threaded at my regular place. It was awkward because the bun was in the back of my head. My eyebrow lady asked me if it was all my hair. I was really caught off guard...I think she expected me to take it off or something so that I could lay my head back flat.

drappedup

Even though I only have SL hair my buns are pretty fat because I have super thick hair. I've been asked a few times before if "it was all mine", but only by filipino women who work in the chow hall on base. I wasn't insulted or anything. When I said yeah they said I have really thick hair. I'm like....I know lol.

Lucia

Nope I've never been bun checked either but I don't wear the classic traditional bun usually its a french twist ir Chinese 2 braid bun sometimes I do wear a regular bun but even when I do a sock bun nothing. But let me wear it down and al kinds of sneaky side eyes.

Lita

Yes,I get weave checked in buns,braids & if my hair is lose....I'm use to it now..

Happy Hair Growing!