Does your hair retain length better straight (press/relaxed) or curly?

PopLife

I ask this because it seems like I lose less hair when my hair is straight (pressed) and it's 10x easier to detangle. Which leads me to believe that I probably retain more hair when it's straight. I'm really considering continuing the rest of my hair journey using occasional heat. Also, how do you keep pressed hair moisturized without it reverting?

What about your hair....straight or curly?

Jazala

Honestly, I'm positive that for maximum retention my best scenario would be to keep my hair free of all chemicals and heat and then wear Miss Ceclie braids 24/7 only taking them out to redo them about once a month. Washing and mosturizing would be done in braids.

However my vanity would never allow that lol so yeah I'm going with a mostly straight hair regi. :lachen:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I say the less damage, the more retention. So in that instance, my curly (natural) hair allows me to retain more length than keeping it straight with heat or chemicals. It also depends on how you maintain your hair (i.e. low manipulation, protective styling, deep conditioning, sleeping with a silk bonnet / scarf or pillowcase). Those healthy hair practices increase tremendously your chances of retaining all your length no matter your hairstyle preference.

Love Always

Well, I'm natural and my hair isn't curly but wavy. But, for me I would say that I've retained more length when my hair is in it's natural state. Before I found the board I was frequently getting my hair pressed/flat ironed. One day I decided that I wanted longer hair and thought by not pressing/flat ironing my hair all the time I would retain more length. Well, by doing this I did retain more length and my hair hasn't been this long since I was a child :).

BostonMaria

For me personally, I have retained more length with my natural hair. I don't always wear it out curly, its usually rollerset or in a ponytail/bun. I think that I could have retained length with relaxed hair had I taken better care of it.

RockCreak

I have retained more with natural hair. Had I known then what I know now, I might have been able to retain it either way!:grin:

BlackMasterPiece

My hair is the longest strongest and thickest its ever been in my life now as a natural....however you can retain length in any state, you just have to learn the proper ways to care for it in each circumstance.

I just did a thorough press on my hair and I'm loving it....my length is showing, upkeep is a breeze, detangling is like a 2 minute process and it really does help. To keep pressed hair mosturized without reversion I 'd recommend a moisturizing oil lke Extra Virgin Coconut oil....its weightless and adds incredible shine:yep: never add a water based moisturizer to pressed hair...always use a light moisturizing oil or one that is oil based.

Last edited:

loolalooh

I retain more length with my hair stretched with no heat in some form (usually twists). If I wore my hair in its coily state 24/7, then I'm sure I'd have a lot of breakage.

supermodelsonya

I think hair retains better in a stretched state. I am lightly texlaxed so my hair looks very natural but I was having issues detangling and those single strand knots.

So I use the blowdryer tension method and it works much better for me.

While Im wearing sew ins, of course my hair is braided.

ms.blue

Personally for me I retain more length if my is blowdried and braided up. It's easier to detangle and I lose less hair. I was on a no heat for a while and I noticed I was losing more hair so now I'm going back to what I did before.

pisceschica

With a relaxer because I don't do anything to it. When its relaxed I just shampoo,condition, set and leave my hair until its time for the next wash. But when I have it in natural state its such a hassle to wash. I feel like I'm ripping my hair out when I detangle it and I tend to use more product to do so.

Enyo

I want to say yes because I love natural hair so much, but really, I think that it depends on how well you care for it.

BlackMasterPiece

With a relaxer because I don't do anything to it. When its relaxed I just shampoo,condition, set and leave my hair until its time for the next wash. But when I have it in natural state its such a hassle to wash. I feel like I'm ripping my hair out when I detangle it and I tend to use more product to do so.
Thats because you're probably used to washing loose relaxed straight hair....when natural hair gets length you have to wash it in braided sections so that you avoid tangles altogether:yep: when you do it that way its a sinch to wash condition DC or detangle if need be.

sumertyme08

Although I'm only a month into my natural journey I can already tell that my natural hair will retain more length and thickness than my relaxed hair. I never had any issues growing or retaining length as a relaxed head but I did shed the normal 50-100 strands a day (yes I counted..call me obsessed) however as a natural I detangle every couple days in the shower with my denman, I have not cleaned out the denman since I began using it and I can tell you I probably have 20 strands in the brush, and that's in ONE MONTH!!!

I thought the hair may have been going down the drain at first but then I realized I haven't had a clogged drain since I became natural!! I don't know the rhyme or reason but I'm a happy campter...

jupitermoon

I have retained the most length wearing my hair natural and unstraightened. This is the longest my hair has ever been in my life. Low manipulation has helped a lot too.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I'm texlaxed and for me my hair is in better shape when I don't apply direct heat everyday, letting it air-dry and keeping it moisturized. IMO it really doesn't matter how you wear your hair from day to day, it's about the maintenance. Relaxed hair can be just as health as natural hair. You just have to keep it cleansed, and conditioned in order to retain maximum growth.

Since your natural you will need to learn a few way of caring for your hair. Washing in braids, and using tons of conditioner will help with your detangling. The best way to moisturize a press without it reverting is will a mist.

Last edited:

LongCurlz

defiantly when I keep it curly, I wouldn't like frying my hair with a flat iron on a regular basis that cannot be good for my hair, I only flat iron about 3-4 times a year and my hair is doing fine, I would not wanna experiment with regular heat use

Ms Lala

My hair didn't take well to chemicals so natural definitely works better for me. If it straighten my hair regularly I have to trim more often but when I don't straighten I tend to get knots. I got the most growth when I kept my hair braided and wore wigs but I got tired of wigging it after a while. I may do it again to try and get from MBL to WL.

CocoElizabeth

I find my hair retains moisture better when its been straightened.

Then again, I think I may not be using the right products on my air dry situation. It's either super greasy or dryer than dry.

aviddiva77

Low manipulation to be honest. For example my hair seems to grow the most in braid extensions but I'm too lazy to always put them in.

But as to curly vs straight, straight wins especially if low heat is added. My hair tangles around itself too much no matter how much I detangle. I always end up with multiple strands tied into knots that I have to cut out if I air-dry or do twist/braid outs.

But when I straighten it doesn't curl on itself as much and I don't have to manipulate it as much.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Straightened with rollersets and very minimal heat on my new growth only. Airdrying and leaving my hair curly doesn't work for me.

ellebelle88

I retain more when I don't use direct heat and when my hair is curly but it has to be stretched because if not, my hair becomes a matted tangled mess.

MissTripleChoc

My hair retains more length straight. I'm relaxed but I blow dry on cold setting using the tension method to straighten my hair with no heat damage x

Kindheart

I airdry and moisturize often,heat works only for so long,my hair revert very easily as i result i have to flat iron it every couple of days if not daily , it's a big no-no for me. I retained a good lenght by leaving it alone .

Last edited: